Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Near the end of September, I will be finely be living in the US again and will be reunited with my 09' Titan.

My question is, after sitting for so long, should I have all the fluids replaced? The transmission was replaced a few months after I bought it in 2010, but other than that...nothing but oil'since I've owned it. The storage company has been regularly replacing the engine oil, starting it every month, and moves the truck around so the tires do not get flat spots. With 40k miles and such a long storage, should I just have ALL the fluids replaced (transmission, power steering, brake, coolant, rear differential, and blinker fluid)?

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
If the moving company has been regularly starting/moving the vehicle, I would say no. These are all enclosed systems, free from contaminants.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
For what it's worth, here's how I'd look at it. What would I change, in terms of fluids, over a 4yr period on my truck? Well, having owned mine for about 5yrs now, I can tell you that with nominal driving (I put about 12k a year on the truck because I work from home), I have gone through changing the diffs, the trans, and transfer case, along with the engine oil. I'd have no problem investing the time and coin in changing those, as oil does degrade over time, regardless of use. Might also consider having the coolant tested while you're changing things. All these fluids might not need a full change, but then again, it's still fairly cheap insurance against what would be thousands of dollars worth of involved costs should a diff, trans, transfer case, radiator, etc., go south on you. I'd also consider having the brake fluid drained and replaced, as it could easily have acquired moisture during that prolonged time sitting in storage. Maybe the power steering, too. Again, not expensive to change, and that makes it cheap insurance. If money is tight, start with the trans and transfer case (if you are 4wd), then do the diff(s) and then the brakes, coolant, and steering. Spread it out over a couple or three months, and you should be fine.

Blinker fluid on these has a long lifespan, so I'd wait til you hit 1,000,000mi, as that's the factory change interval. You do need to grease the muffler bearings, though, every 2yrs or 20k, so shoot some lithium in there. If you don't have lithium, I've used my wife's oil of olay in a pinch, but it makes the truck exhaust smell too sweet.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Blinker fluid on these has a long lifespan, so I'd wait til you hit 1,000,000mi, as that's the factory change interval. You do need to grease the muffler bearings, though, every 2yrs or 20k, so shoot some lithium in there. If you don't have lithium, I've used my wife's oil of olay in a pinch, but it makes the truck exhaust smell too sweet.
You had me for a second...

Like dubyam said, it's a small cost compared to what COULD happen if you want to be safe. I just changed both diffs, tranny, T case, and brake fluids, along with coolant. Cost for the fluids was $225, did the changes myself.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I wouldn't over think the situation, but it wouldn't hurt to change all the fluids on a 7 year old truck.

·
Premium Member
20,968 Posts
I am a bit proactive (my wife would call it something much more derogatory) in the maintenance of all the fluids in my Titan. Over a 4 year period every fluid in my truck would have been changed out, some more than once. If it was my Titan that had sat for four years I would be going through everything if for no other reason than to catch up on overdue maintenance.

Engine
Transmission
Transfer case
Differentials
Brakes
Power steering
Coolant

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
About how much does it cost to change the transmission fluid?
About 200.00 or so at a dealer, maybe more.

I totally agree with changing the fluids like others have stated, but I wouldn't be afraid to run it until you can get them done. Oil does not break down from sitting for a few years. I would start with the engine and worry about the other stuff as time allows. You should be in good shape since it's been getting fired up periodically.

My main concern would be checking for nests and other rodent activity.

·
Premium Member
20,968 Posts
The fuel is going to be bad if it really is 4 years old. I would likely siphon it out and replace with new before even starting the vehicle.

The cost for a full transmission fluid exchange will vary. As LUBECAKES said, $200 at a dealer. But that's going to be an aftermarket fluid, not the OEM Nissan Matic S. For the OEM fluid you'll end up paying 300+.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I forgot all about the gas! Hopefully it's low now, so you can add some dry gas along with fresh gas and it should be ok.....once again though, if it's been getting started monthly, I'm sure it'll be fine. Just proceed with caution....eyes, ears, nose.

And thank you for your service.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure I can swallow that $300 pill for hydro fluid! When I turned the vehicle over 3.5 years ago, the fuel had to be 1/4 or below so I'd hope they have used that up and more of their own when they let it run every month.

·
Premium Member
20,968 Posts
Given that the regular maintenance schedule for the Titan never actually says "Change the transmission fluid" I would put that at the bottom of the list.

How many miles were put on the vehicle while it was in storage? It would be nice if it was actually driven a bit but there's always the worry that some knucklehead would be driving it around town.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Now it's got 80k and bald tires hehe.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Reactions: LUBECAKES

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Tranny flush at my local dealership is only $150. Im taking it in next week.

Reactions: LUBECAKES

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Id be considering brake flush before anything. Just that length of time means some moisture absorbed into the fluid

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They best not of driven it much! I know what the miles were before I gave it over to them.

I'm guessing I put around 10k miles on the new transmission so I might hold off a year or so for that part.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
A new trans? Already?

I would cross that off the list anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts