Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at this, just want to know, do you have information on the frame thicknees vs the frame of the big 3, the frame is like a fondation on a house and very important before I by.

thanks. radio

·
Registered
182 Posts
Radio said:
I'm new at this, just want to know, do you have information on the frame thicknees vs the frame of the big 3, the frame is like a fondation on a house and very important before I by.

thanks. radio

Hello Radio:

I don't know the wall thickness, but Titan utilizes a fully boxed ladder frame, constructed from four-sided closed rails, which are more durable and rigid than the three-sided open section rails used by some manufacturers. This gives you more load bearing capacity. This truck was well engineered and well thought out including what was learned from asking previous truck owners what they wanted. (heh, imagine that!)

:haveredfl

NITEBLITZ

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't know the exact thickness, approximately 1/4 inch. The Titan and the New F-150 both have fully boxed frames ( Square tube steel) vs others with C channel frames. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Currently the tundra is the only 1/2ton that doesn't have a fully boxed frame. It is however fully boxed from the front to the end of the cab and behind that is a rolled C frame and is a one peice frame, unlike the many peice welded together like others. It had a stronger torsional rigidy than all other C frame 1/2ton at the time of it's release in early 99.

The titan's fully boxed frame measers about 2" wide, quite narrow, hmm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
ricqik said:
Currently the tundra is the only 1/2ton that doesn't have a fully boxed frame. It is however fully boxed from the front to the end of the cab and behind that is a rolled C frame and is a one peice frame, unlike the many peice welded together like others. It had a stronger torsional rigidy than all other C frame 1/2ton at the time of it's release in early 99.

The titan's fully boxed frame measers about 2" wide, quite narrow, hmm.
Hello ricqik:

The strength is not in the boxed frame's width (for loads in the bed, cab or road impacts, unless you are worried about side impact), but the strenth comes from the depth of the structural member! Just like a 2x4 has more strength across a span standing on edge than laying flat. :)

NITEBLITZ

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, I agree 100%. But couldn't they have made it another 1" wider for side impact purposes or keep the same size as the front section.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is just that I check the frame on the Titan at Quebec city in Canada last week at the car an truck show, and it feld very thin vs the frame on all other trucks, is it that the Titan is for the city and not the wood?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Nissan uses HIGH Strength STEEL. For this reason they can make it lighter! It is every bit as strong or Stronger! It does cost more to make the frames this way, the steel is very strong. It is also one of the reason why the trucks are lighter than the big 3. The big 3 have to bulk up the thickness of the steel in thier frames because the Steel is not as Strong! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deepwater said:
Nissan uses HIGH Strenth STEAL. For this reason they can make it lighter! It is every bit as strong or Stronger! It dose cost more to make the frames this way, the steal is very strong. It is also one of the reason why the trucks are lighter then the big 3. The big 3 have to bulk up the thickness of the steal in there frames because the Steal is not as Strong! :)
Thank's Deepwater for that information, the Titan is my first choice for my new truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts