Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting from my phone, bare with me....

Some of you have probably read about my experiences with magnaflow mufflers but for those who haven't, here's some background:
(All with no rear cats)
18" dual in single out magnaflow -- bad cis/rasp
22" dual in single out magnaflow--still cis/rasp
22" single in/dual out magnaflow with y collector in front of muffler--too quiet, still some cis/rasp
Flowmaster style 2 chamber dual in dual out muffler (imco)--not much cis sound at all, but almost too loud

Looking for something like a magnaflow design that's flow thru for performance and all, but I don't want to sacrifice sound....is there such a thing in a dual in dual out configuration that will have no cis/rasp sound...keep in mind I removed the rear cats.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Dual bullets with resonated tips. Loud as hell, but virtually no CIS.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dual bullets with resonated tips. Loud as hell, but virtually no CIS.
I wonder what the volume level would be like compared to something like a flowmaster 40 series though...loud outside doesn't bother me, but the drone inside is starting to. Lol

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
That sounds pretty good but it still has a wee bit of CIS @ the top end. Best Borla vid I've heard on a T so far though!

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
That sounds pretty good but it still has a wee bit of CIS @ the top end. Best Borla vid I've heard on a T so far though!
that was on my old titan...its prob not cis your hearing on the top end its prob the 20 dollar camera cracking lol...it really had no cis atleast none that i could hear

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sounds awesome! Do you remember what the part number was for the muffler?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'm gonna google some Borla stuff now and see what I find....removing the rear cats screwed my sound up and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, which is fairly loud outside, quiet inside, no CIS at all, basically just a loud smooth rumble.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Boy those dude's are expensive........not nearly as bad as the 5" round by 10" long S-Type muffs.......$156 each!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here ya go..... Borla 40943 - Borla XR-1 Racing Mufflers thats from summit racing
Well, I would really need a dual in/dual out muffler so that I wouldn't have to completely re-do everything I have...and from what I've found with Borla, they don't really seem much different inside than a magnaflow.

What about a dual in/dual out magnaflow 14" like this one...
MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Anyone tried a dual/dual magnaflow with no rear cats or resonators? I have a feeling it would still have the CIS sound.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
ANY short body Magnaflow will have that dreadful sound.....just life. Borla has no sound absorbing material except for stainless steel wool. In reality, they are almost like a resonator type muffler. Sound resonates around inside the case and it just bumps the bad sound out.....barely.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Well, I would really need a dual in/dual out muffler so that I wouldn't have to completely re-do everything I have...and from what I've found with Borla, they don't really seem much different inside than a magnaflow.

What about a dual in/dual out magnaflow 14" like this one...
MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Anyone tried a dual/dual magnaflow with no rear cats or resonators? I have a feeling it would still have the CIS sound.
trust me they are way different and sound completly different

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you pay to play my friend
LOL, this I know...I'm on my 6th or 7th configuration. The Titan has got to be the trickiest vehicle to get the sound right on.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ANY short body Magnaflow will have that dreadful sound.....just life. Borla has no sound absorbing material except for stainless steel wool. In reality, they are almost like a resonator type muffler. Sound resonates around inside the case and it just bumps the bad sound out.....barely.
So, does that mean the Borla would sound better or worse? Not sure I understand what you mean.

Sorry guys, I've just spent too much money on this already to just go out and try something new....gotta ask lots of questions and make sure before I spend a dime this time. :bangit:

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I'm running the single in/dual out FM Super 40, but my sound has a lot to do with the pre-muffler modifications too... JBA headers, eliminated forward cats (2.25" pipe), customized 2.25" in/ 2.5" out B Pipe sections w/ metallic MF HF Cats... Running parrallel 2.5" pipes to a custom Y right before the 3" muffler inlet... I haven't been bothered by any drone inside the cab, and there is minimal CIS, only noticeable from the initial WOT... I'll see about getting a vid / sound bite this week...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts