Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frequently Asked Questions

What makes Flowmaster mufflers different?

Flowmaster’s patented “chambered” design is what sets it apart from any other muffler. The theory behind the design is based on basic principles of physics. By splitting the exhaust stream (exhaust pulses & sound energy) and then recombining them in another chamber, the collision of energy cancels the sound waves which creates a low pressure area in its place. This resulting low pressure area then helps scavenge/accelerate the following pulses into the muffler and out the tailpipe resulting in a more efficient and cleaner burn, which means more power.

How does Flowmaster compare to straight thru mufflers?

Straight through mufflers consist of a perforated flow tube, and rely on packing materials such as steel wool or fiberglass to simply absorb sound. While these mufflers may improve performance by using larger internal flow tubes, the packing materials will burn or blow out over time which results in an increase of sound until it eventually becomes ineffective. The Flowmaster design uses no packing, and therefore will maintain its sound control over the life of the product.

How do Flowmaster mufflers rate on a flowbench (CFM)?

Many muffler manufacturers advertise, test and rate the performance of their mufflers with the use of a flowbench. The problem with this is methodology is that a flowbench produces a steady, low temperature stream of air and lacks the acoustical and thermal dynamics that are produced by an internal combustion engine. Flowmaster designs, tests, and proves it’s products under real world conditions in the dyno cell, at the track and on the road; After all, when was the last time you raced a flowbench?

What makes Flowmaster mufflers different?

Flowmaster’s patented “chambered” design is what sets it apart from any other muffler. The theory behind the design is based on basic principles of physics. By splitting the exhaust stream (exhaust pulses & sound energy) and then recombining them in another chamber, the collision of energy cancels the sound waves which creates a low pressure area in its place. This resulting low pressure area then helps scavenge/accelerate the following pulses into the muffler and out the tailpipe resulting in a more efficient and cleaner burn, which means more power.

How does Flowmaster compare to straight thru mufflers?

Straight through mufflers consist of a perforated flow tube, and rely on packing materials such as steel wool or fiberglass to simply absorb sound. While these mufflers may improve performance by using larger internal flow tubes, the packing materials will burn or blow out over time which results in an increase of sound until it eventually becomes ineffective. The Flowmaster design uses no packing, and therefore will maintain its sound control over the life of the product.

How do Flowmaster mufflers rate on a flowbench (CFM)?

Many muffler manufacturers advertise, test and rate the performance of their mufflers with the use of a flowbench. The problem with this is methodology is that a flowbench produces a steady, low temperature stream of air and lacks the acoustical and thermal dynamics that are produced by an internal combustion engine. Flowmaster designs, tests, and proves it’s products under real world conditions in the dyno cell, at the track and on the road; After all, when was the last time you raced a flowbench?

What does a Flowmaster sound like?

The Flowmaster sound is unique to itself and is very different from that of glass packs or other packed style mufflers. The Flowmaster sound can best be described as a deep smooth sound and has proven to be the preferred and most recognized sound of most automotive enthusiasts. Flowmaster offers many different levels of sound from mild, to moderate, to aggressive. In general, the 60 series, 70 Series and SUV-50 series mufflers are milder with reduced interior sound. The 50 Series Delta Flows are moderate, and the 40 Series have a more aggressive tone.

What is the difference between a 40 series and a 50 series muffler?

The 50 series (moderate to mild) incorporates an internal tuning chamber that helps reduce interior sound level in the cab area of your vehicle, and provides a slightly milder exterior tone than the 40 series. The 40 series (aggressive) will generally resonate or “drone” inside the vehicle, around 1800-2000 rpm and again, around 2400-2600 rpm. The performance characteristics of the 40 and 50 series are the same, so it’s simply “a sound decision”.

How do I select the correct Flowmaster?

The sound of your exhaust is much like music; we all have different preferences so it’s important that the system be “tuned” to what you like. With the Flowmaster family of products we can help accomplish this by answering the questions below. This approach will allow you to choose the best product to suite your needs and expectations

1. What is the vehicle year, make, model?
2. Which engine do you have or how much horsepower does it produce?
3. How is the vehicle used? ie: daily driver, race, towing etc.
4. Preferred sound levels (interior and exterior?)
5. How are the space requirements?
6. Would you like a complete exhaust system or universal pipe kit if available?
Single or dual outlet?

Will I lose power going from a 40 series to a 50 series, or to a 70 series?

No. Flowmaster engineers have designed each series of mufflers with maximum efficiency in mind. The differences between the various muffler series are in the varying sound levels produced both inside and outside your vehicle. This is why it is so important to take the time to carefully choose the right product that will suit your individual needs and sound preference

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Flowmaster kit (Part Number 817485 Cat-back System 409S - Dual Rear/Side Exit - American Thunder - Moderate Sound) would be the best choice (it's also available in
stainless). If you just want a muffler replacement I would recommend 70 series part number 52571 (available in
aluminized only).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Flowmasters and Factory Warranty

Does anybody know if replacing the exhaust just at the muffler voids your warranty? I want to get 50's or 40's flowmaster muffler but not sure about the warranty, and before I call the dealership I wanted to hear want other people had to say. Thanks!:read:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've been looking for a quieter muffler, got a terrible drone at cruising speed (1600 rpm), 70 mph. I've got doug Thorley long tubes into a Gibson cat back. Will a 70 series (3" in-offset/3" out straight) do the trick? Will the 50 series be the same? any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moe4777 – We have not had problems with voiding a vehicle warranty as long as you are only modifying the exhaust after the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors. Thanks for the inquiry.

9balllrook – Do you have video of the sound so we can get an idea of how your truck currently sounds?

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
This video is of my current exhaust setup, and at the heart of the system are dual 40 series flowmasters. The rest consists of straight thru resonators, x pipe, and long tube headers with no cats. I spent a lot of time trying to get this sound and its unique to say the least. IMO, the titan needs a chambered muffler and resonators to keep from getting ''card in spokes'' sound.

·
Super Moderator
93,641 Posts
Impressive sound, I think you've got it right

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is completely stock, 2011 Titan Prox4 I bought lastweek and have about 200 miles on it!

Moe4777 – WOW! That’s definitely a new truck. :) Congratulations! Adding a muffler or a Cat-Back will work great! After you’re done you can post a video to let us know how it sounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts