Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this has been covered many times before... everyone has said that once light comes on you ahve about 5gallons left..

but i knwo more then once i filled up right after light came on and it was like 25 gallons put in... and no way there was 5 gallons left... n e ideas WHY?

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Each truck is different. The sending unit that measures the amount of fuel in the truck is the main factor of when that light comes on. The other day I parked on a hill, facing down hil. My light came on. I knew I was low, and I was going to fill up that day anyway for a road trip next day. I put in 17 gallons (out of 28).. so depending the angle of the truck, and the sending unit, you can get anywhere from 2-8 gallons area

·
Registered
335 Posts
my light comes on when there is about 2 1/2 - 3 gallons left. I see no problem.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Last week I drove about 80 miles with the light on and only put in 22 gallons, I thought it would be closer to 24 or 25. For my truck, when the light comes on I usually have about 6-7 gallons left.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I can't remember EVER seeing a low fuel warning light on any vehicle I've ever owned! For all I know, mine may not even work. Unless you're towing long distances, why would you ever wait so long to refuel? Once it gets down to 1/4 tank....do you think it's gonna go up on its' own?..lol. Other than towing, I gas up at around 1/2 tank.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I can't remember EVER seeing a low fuel warning light on any vehicle I've ever owned! For all I know, mine may not even work. Unless you're towing long distances, why would you ever wait so long to refuel? Once it gets down to 1/4 tank....do you think it's gonna go up on its' own?..lol. Other than towing, I gas up at around 1/2 tank.
I agree..between 1/4 and 1/2 mark I fill up. Makes it easier to see the price at the pump. Pretty nice when I "fill up" and it only cost me $18 bucks LOL

·
Registered
603 Posts
I usually fill up at 1/4 tank - 21 gallons

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If it came on with 2 gallons you would not have a very good shot at finding a gas station in a lot of cases. The Titan isn't a Sentra as far as MPG and range.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If it came on with 2 gallons you would not have a very good shot at finding a gas station in a lot of cases. The Titan isn't a Sentra as far as MPG and range.
Worst case scenario, you would get 10mpg in the Titan. I think a 15-20 mile radius is enough to find at least ONE gas station.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Spoke to a technican and read :read: that if you drive with the light on; fill

up within a couple miles, for the fact that the pump can heat up and (no not

to the point to cause a fire), but you shorten the life of the pump that has

to stay cool. Regardless of the point why risk it, and I believe we didn't buy

these trucks to worry about the MPG, these aren't 4bangers.:bangit:

·
Registered
723 Posts
im to lazy to fill up that fast.. plus i have to try to extend it out as much as possible so i can use company gas. yea i didnt buy then lift on 37s for mpg.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Yeah....but driving around nearly empty looking for a gas station before it konks out is the ultimate adrenaline rush. It really gets the 'ole heart rate up and we all need a little "exercise" in our daily routines. LOL! J/K

The problem with the low-fuel light, at least on mine, is that there's still a substantial amount of gas left in the tank when the light first comes on. I've traveled over 40 miles both ways (55-60mph freeway driving) with the light on and I still had fuel left to make it home. It's a bad habit, but having the light come on too soon defeats the whole purpose of having it. Might as well have it come on when there's 1/2 a tank left. It tends to make people (like me) disregard it and drive until the gauge needle is a few ticks from the bottom line like the old days.

On my old truck, I personally set the low-fuel light when there was exactly 1/2 a gallon left in the tank. I knew if the light came on in that truck, I needed to look for gas station pretty quick. With the Titan, it seems I can drive for days and days after the low-fuel light first comes on.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Mine went in for the TSB on the sending unit, and sure enough it was f-ed up. They had to order the part, after telling me they stock it which is why I brought the truck in when I did, which still isn't in. So I will be taking a cross country trip this weekend with a messed up gauge. Anyways, the light has been coming on with about 10gl left in the tank, showing just under 1/4 tank. I can put in $10 (at ~$1.75gl) and the light doesnt go off nor does the needle move above 1/4; when it used to move quite a bit. Needless to say I can drive for about a week with the light on right now. Its gonna screw me over when it's fixed and I'm so used to be able to go so long and I try it without thinking.

·
Premium Member
59,069 Posts
Because I don't like gassing up. You are stopping more often than I am.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have been resetting the tripometer when the light comes on. I will then drive about 50 miles and end up putting about 24.5 gallons in. My preference is fewer trips to the gas station.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm on my second replaced fuel pump/sending unit(3 if you include the original unit) so my trust in the units is kind of weak, so I ALWAYS re-set my trip meter at every re-fill so that if it goes south again I'm not worried about how much fuel I have on board...

My light comes on between 260-275 miles and IF I stop right then and there and fuel up it will take 21 gals, but usually by the time I fuel up its about 22 gals...

I take long enough trips were I don't want to stop to fuel at 1/2 tank...
I like having 6-7 gals left over when the light comes on, and I'm not worried about "burning" up the pump at that level...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Because I don't like gassing up. You are stopping more often than I am.
Exactly during the life of my truck that means you are filling up twice as much as me. Think about how much time that wastes in a lifetime.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
As lou alluded to, the sending units in each and every one of these trucks is garbage - until recently that is, thus the reason everyone is getting different results.

I call bull poopy on this never let it get to E or leave the light on for long. On every vehicle I own, I have consistently let the tank get to E or even below. Sometimes on purpose, others because I was poor at the time and had to stretch my gas out until payday. Not once has it ever caused a problem. If it was a major problem that would cause any sort of damage I'm sure there would be warning stickers/labels on the gas guages, gas cover door, owners manual etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts