Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there, just thought I'd share my experience.

I originally had the same crappy stock tires as everyone else (non offroad, 18" wheels).

Well a few years back I decided I wanted something more aggressive on the truck. But I park in a garage with clearances that make a lift a no-go. So I looked for the baddest tire I could find without a lift.

Enter the 325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grappler. It's literally the biggest tire you can fit on a stock titan. Any wider it rubs and doesn't fit the rim. Any taller and it rubs. It's as big and as aggressive as you can get stock.

And it looks awesome. One problem...on the street it performs like crap. Truck wants to get sideways in the rain all the time. MPG Sucks. The wide tires wanted to wander on the highway...

So I just picked up some BFG DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS P265/70R18 from costco. Holy cow, these things are so much better on the street I can barely believe it. Wind noise gone, much better traction, better handling, just wow. Time will tell how they hold up.

So in retrospect, those grapplers were a terrible choice for my truck that is 98% on road driving.

This is my experience...YMMV.

TLDR: Chunko is dumb and realized Off Road tires aren't so great On Road.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Lol the disclaimer nailed it. My toyo open country at2's are better on road then the terra grapplers. But are way better off road then the original grapplers. In this wide size, same as what you used to run, the truck definitely loves to wander (and wonder i'm sure) all over the road. Its nuts lol. IMO you could run a 295/70/18 and be fine with a leveling kit. I used to run that size. It had better on road manners but still looked awesome. (34x11 size tire)

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol the disclaimer nailed it. My toyo open country at2's are better on road then the terra grapplers. But are way better off road then the original grapplers. In this wide size, same as what you used to run, the truck definitely loves to wander (and wonder i'm sure) all over the road. Its nuts lol. IMO you could run a 295/70/18 and be fine with a leveling kit. I used to run that size. It had better on road manners but still looked awesome. (34x11 size tire)
Yeah, 325 is a bit much, the 295/70/18 with level would have been a better choice...but I had no room to spare in my garage.

That's right, the only guy in history not to want a couple extra inches...

Reactions: Blevinger

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Garage clearance a problem for me as well. Related, I sure miss my 305/55/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ on 20" BMF Novakanes... but holy sh1t was the mileage bad with those. Talking like 9mpg around town (there were full tanks where I never broke 50mph).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts