Nissan Titan Forum banner
241 - 260 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I get a noise3 when I'm driving... kinda like a howl and sounds like its coming from the front. It onlu makes the noise when I touch the gas....goes away when I let off the pedal. No leaks and I had the diff replaced after 06. Is it possibly toast? I have had the truck into the dealership before my warranty ran out and got one of the half shalfs and the bearings replaced but the noise is still there.
Normal

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, posted up a month ago about my front end and it's finally getting taken care of under warranty; new diff for me. While it was up on the rack, i guess the load from the tires sagging was enough to keep the axle from moving.... but while just stationary on the ground, the axle was moving around in the transfer case quite a bit. The tech was actually pretty surprised that it wasn't leaking considering how much movement there was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all! Im new to titan talk, but I thought I should post my troubles with my 08 titan se.
I am on my third front diff now and im starting to get very annoyed. My truck has only 72k on it and I think this is totally unacceptable! The first one went at 36k and the second at 71k, and to top it all off now, I just
seen oil coming out again! Turns out the dealer tech forgot to reattach the breather hose. I guess i have two questions, how can i check the oil in the diff, and should i be looking at purchasing a extened warranty?
I LOVE this truck, but I am really questioning if I should be trading it off for something else :(.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody else try welding the axels to the side gears? Any luck? And if I was to buy a used diff what year are the bugs gone? Read all 17 pages still confused to what diff has the upgraded internals as far as axel clip and side gear

·
Registered
7 Posts
False alarm on my dad's front differential. Pulled it off and it was in great shape. Turned out to be his xfer case. Ran dry. Replaced with a low mileage. Truck is back up and running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum, my 2005 Titan has 40,000 miles and had my front replaced at 20k, due to drivers axle pulling out. No noise just noticed leaking in the driveway. Found that the fluid was sparkling with metal as well. Dealer replaced whole unit under warranty.
Hope this doesn't happen again!
Can't believe it had this problem at 20k, this thing is stock and babied for the most part, LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello all, new here. I just bought a 2008 titan 4x4. a week after purchase the driver side axle fell out of the diff!! Well i bought the truck as is no warranty and the dealer is being really cool about it. They were gonna take care of it and replace the axle and c clip. Well today they called and said it fell out again on test drive and will need to replace the whole diff. So they ordered a used one and want me to pay for half the diff but not labor($450). Like i said, legally they dont have to do anything for me and they have even given me a loaner truck to drive this whole time(going on three weeks now:crying:) so they are going above and beyond I think.

Anyways my question is...is this weak driveline something that will plauge this truck the rest of its life or is it a one and done thing. I mean.....I have always owned dodges and had NO problems with any of them. I do light offroading and alot of camping and haul a trailer now and then. Can these trucks actually DO truck stuff or do I need to sell it and go back to dodge???:huh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see this is a huge problem with Nissan Titans. Almost every person I've ran into here in NC that has a titan eventually had this same issue. I myself had my front right differential fall out because of a bad C-Clip. Now I'm hearing a bad bearing noise from the front left side. I know that my pinion seal is leaking again for the third time. I think that the base plate where the front drive shaft connects to is mounted to another shaft that eventually connects to the main gear that turns the front tires. I've removed my front drive shaft and loosened the bolt. Took off the pinion seal then I was stuck. I see two bearings like one that goes over another. I think these are bad because of that noise and it is leaking here. Not sure what to do now. Dealership wont work on it because of my lift. What to do?
I just had the same problem and bought a new install kit and gears and a for sale sign.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just had the reas axle, both sides, fixed, along with rear shackle rotted and new rear shocks. Got the truck home looked out the window this morning and there was a puddle of oil under the front end. Low and behold the front right axle had popped out. Got it to my friends shop and he popped it back in. Figuring it will happen again, as I drive under normal conditions, no off-roading, and no lift kit. This thing is turing out to be a real piece of junk. Got a Titan to stay away from all the American junk with similar inherant problems. I am thinking I will need the for sale sign as well. I really cant believe Nissan has really fallen this short on a vehicle. I have filed 2 complaints now with the NTHSA. I cant believe this thing hasnt had a recall to this point.

Oh yeah forgot, since the rear axle leaked it ruined the emergency brakes and those had to be replaced.

·
Registered
92 Posts
After thinking about this leak from the front end caused by the axle popping out and talking to my friend, we are wondering if perhaps the truck being up on the lift and then lowered to the ground perhaps left the shaft out slightly and then after some driving around it caused the shaft to come out. just a thought as to why all of a sudden this would happen. I have 109k on it second owner since 99k. Just giving you all something to think about as to what conditions you were under before the leak occurred. We know this should not happen but since we know it does, what can we avoid doing or look for if the truck is out under certain conditions like being up on a lift. Or perhaps this is happening mainly to those with lift kits of any size. Also since people are talking about it here....my 2 cents on driving a 4x4, and this is what I have always been told long before Nissan even thought about making 4x4's, is that you do not drive it in 4 wheel on dry pavement as it will destroy your front diff. So for those of you saying the Chevy and Ford brands can do that, you are incorrect. Perhaps if you have done this you got lucky...

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2005 (not big tow or off road package) eeds the front differential replaced. Dealer tech wrote it down as part #38500-8S100. Nissanpartszone.com says this part was replaced with 38500-8S11A, which checks as a fit based on my VIN. I also checked courtesyautoparts.com and they list Part #38500-A60003.

Looks like it would be pretty much a wash on price plus shipping; can anybody with more knowledge confirm if there's a better alternative regarding part (I'm assuming there's no difference) or provider? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got the same problem. 05' w/ 58k miles and drivers side is loose. maybe a 1/4'' play and just waiting for it to pop out. Talked to a dealer and going in for a diagnosis which I already know the problem. Then gonna try and take it up with nissan afterwards. Hopefully, with my truck being lifted they will help. Will give update by sat night...

But, just in case anyone know of a good place to get a used or new diff? or even a upgrade kit? Correct me if im wrong..from what I understand so far they changed the diff in 06'?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried making a spacer between the axle and diff?
Going to work on this on the weekend both me and my uncle have 2004 Titan's. About a week ago his driver side axle fell out and the other day when we took the front diff. out, his passenger side fell out! I have yet to experience this problem, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time! Therefore, I'm going to be making 1/4" and 1/8" spacers (have to see which works the best) to insert between the CV shaft and the Axles. I've read on several forum's that the newer differentials are 1/4" longer, end of axle to end of axle. I know this won't stop the inherant weakness in these diff's, however I hope this will take some of the latteral stress of the axle retainer clip. After seeing the inside of these front axles now and disassembling it I have to say this design, sucks! Also, my uncle's Titan is a CC with a 1.5" spacer and my Titan is a KC with a 2" spacer and PRG UCA's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I have an 05 Titan, crew cab, off road package, big tow package, etc. Looks like the prior owner had a "Gregco front leveling kit" installed at some point according to the receipt that was stuffed in the manual when I bought it a little over a year ago. Truck now has about 69k on it.

Used the 4wd last wednesday during a nice snow storm and it worked great. I could go anywhere without a problem. 2 days later, getting some nice snow again so I click it into 4wd and get a loud grinding noise from the transfer case, so I quickly take it out of 4wd and the noise stops. I stop the truck, put it back in 4wd, and it said it was engaged. No grinding noise, but could definately tell the truck was not in 4wd.

Took it to the dealer to get looked at today. Service manager said that the front diff is toast and needs to be replaced (something about a problem with an axle that caused it, couldn't quite catch that part). Anyway, he said the front diff is $1500 and it will be 8 hours of labor to replace it.

Luckily, I payed for an extended warranty through Guardian, and it looks like they will be picking up the majority of the tab.

My question is this... with all of these front diff issues, is this something that's likely to happen again, or has the diff been redesigned to correct the issues? I absolutely love the truck, I'm just not sure if I should trade it in before my extended warranty expires in case this happens again....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 04 and this problem already happened to me. I ended up rebuilding most if the front end and there are updated axel half shafts and spider gears that utilize a wider more heavy duty clip to hold it in its spot. Haven't had any issues since. It's sad that this was an I vinous design flaw and Nissan won't back it up. I live this truck too but it will be the last one unfortunately

241 - 260 of 344 Posts