Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am need of a front brake job badly. The rotors need turning. I have an 08 Pro4x with about 34K on it. I just purchased the truck a month ago. I have yet to pull the front wheels off. How hard is it to pull the front rotors so that I can go get them turned? Last I remember doing this on a 4x4 20 years ago I had to pull the hub assembly off. Is there a step by step somewhere on the site showing how to do this? I looked but couldnt find one. I know there are a bunch of different replacement rotors out there too. I would be interested in that route if they are not too expensive. Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I found that post after looking a little harder. I am happy to see that the fronts just come off without pulling the hub. Think I'll do it myself and save me some cash.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I'd buy new rotors. Screw the oem ones, look at frozen or R1 concept rotors. Itd cost about the same for the R1's as getting them turned lol

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
The caliper bolts tend to be really tight.
A little heat is your friend.

·
Vendor
209 Posts
Galaxy WD,

Removing the rotors is quite easy (slip on) as you probably know, the caliper bolts can be a real challenge. (they have thread locker on them) apply some heat from a hand held torch to the area of the caliper the bolts thread into, and slowly back them out.

I would not suggest wasting your time turning the rotors. This turns out to be a very temporary fix, and the same problems re-occur after a few hundred miles. Many, many owners on this site have been using our rotors and pads, and seem to be very happy with the results. If you tow, or do any off roading then the recommended rotor is a Frozen Rotor (Slotted) matched up with the Hawk 'LTS' pads.
It sounds like you're replacing the front rotors and pads. However, I strongly recommend that the rear pads be replaced along with the fronts using the Hawk 'LTS' pads for maximum performance and benefit.

At present we are offering a 10% discount off of retail on all Rotors and Pads. If you'd like a price quote, let me know. Or if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via email or phone. My email address is below.

Hope this helps.

Keith
[email protected]

1.888.323.8456 / 952.746.8880

·
Premium Member
58,758 Posts
Turning the rotors is an exercise in futility. You will be much happier if you replace the rotors.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats the problem with the rotors? On my 05 Titan once I got the brake fix the rotors were fine. I had 112K miles on it when I sold it and the brakes and rotors were fine. I had the rotors turned several times over the years and they stayed smooth. I know there are better rotors out there but I am on a budget and trying to do this with minimum cost. I know brakes are not something to go cheap on but just cant swing the several hundred bucks right now for the new rotors.

·
Premium Member
58,758 Posts
Usually once the rotors warp, they warp again pretty quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i went with EBC yellow pads and slotted and drilled rotors, easy install, easier than my Z, but theres always one bolt that gives you a problem. i knocked out the left side in 20 min and started the right side and one caliper bolt gave me crap, took an extra 20 min just on that bolt. But i still knocked the whole thing out in about an hour.

·
Premium Member
58,758 Posts
i went with EBC yellow pads and slotted and drilled rotors, easy install, easier than my Z, but theres always one bolt that gives you a problem. i knocked out the left side in 20 min and started the right side and one caliper bolt gave me crap, took an extra 20 min just on that bolt. But i still knocked the whole thing out in about an hour.
I did the same thing but with Wagner Thermo Quiets. Some have had problems with caliper bolts but I didn't. About two months ago my son replaced his with the same thing and didn't have problems with his caliper bolts either.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Galaxy WD,

Removing the rotors is quite easy (slip on) as you probably know, the caliper bolts can be a real challenge. (they have thread locker on them) apply some heat from a hand held torch to the area of the caliper the bolts thread into, and slowly back them out.

I would not suggest wasting your time turning the rotors. This turns out to be a very temporary fix, and the same problems re-occur after a few hundred miles. Many, many owners on this site have been using our rotors and pads, and seem to be very happy with the results. If you tow, or do any off roading then the recommended rotor is a Frozen Rotor (Slotted) matched up with the Hawk 'LTS' pads.
It sounds like you're replacing the front rotors and pads. However, I strongly recommend that the rear pads be replaced along with the fronts using the Hawk 'LTS' pads for maximum performance and benefit.

At present we are offering a 10% discount off of retail on all Rotors and Pads. If you'd like a price quote, let me know. Or if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via email or phone. My email address is below.

Hope this helps.

Keith
[email protected]

1.888.323.8456 / 952.746.8880
Usually once the rotors warp, they warp again pretty quickly.
Where does galaxy wd say his rotors are warped or has a problem other than turning them before installing new pads :huh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts