Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front bumper has big rock chips that are now rusted pretty good some spots even are bubbled under the paint. Trucks only a 2012. How should I go about repairing these. There are maybe 15 bad chips that are rusted. But a few bubbling spots. I'd prefer to not have to get it re- painted

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
i got mine repainted. i need to put the clear 3m on it before it gets too many chips again.

mine had probably 100 chips on it. you can get a touchup pen and fill them but you'll see that also.

Shop did mine pretty cheap, i took it all apart and brought them just the center metal piece.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yeah. I see you can actually buy the bumper pretty cheap. I'm more concerned about the bubbling spots as its cracking a bit. But yeah guess I can sand down the rust and use that rust conversion stuff and touch it up for now. But I will defiantly put the 3m clear protector skin on if I get it painted. Would for sure be worth the money.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cheaper to get it painted than replaced, once it starts really rusting out. I see bumpers with holes so big in them you can put your hand through it. For the time being (local paint and body shop told me) get some 3M rubbing compound and an applicator pad, rub that rust away and cover it with some good wax. I rescued the gate on my Xterra that way...pindots of rust all over it. I rubbed out the rust and kept it waxed, never had to worry ever since.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll probably make do just cleaning them out and touching it up. For this year then get it re painted and covered with 3m as I have clay bar and polished my truck since the year I bought it new and this is the only part of the truck that has any rust whatsoever

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
little update, the paint on this front bumper is terrible. there is maybe 20 big chips and a few smaller ones. at the right angles you can see huge bubbling spots and close up can see cracks through out the bumper. only 3 years old.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
problem solved...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You just bed liner right over it?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
so i never 3m'd mine...now i've got about 5 decent chips lol. oh well.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Mine is professionally bedlined, not sure how they prepped, but I assume it was sanded, been on for a couple years now

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
I've fixed my issue by parking the truck and buying a 2016 4runner trail.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My bumper is chipped so bad I am going to get it painted. (Unless someone will sell me a really nice one to replace it)
Fortunately I don't see any rust yet.

They must have used too much hardener in the paint or something...they'd been better off with some flex add and allowing it to dull a little sooner.

I have never seen anything chip up like this. If it's not a paint issue, maybe the PO lived on a gravel road.

Once it is fixed I am going to look for a film product to protect it. Anyone know if there is a kit? Recommend a product?

Mine is a 2012 as well.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just called my local powder coating shop they said can sandblast it and powder coat black with a clear as well. For $225

1 - 14 of 14 Posts