Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been chasing an oil leak in the front of the engine. I think I found where it’s coming from, it’s leaking behind the crank pulley. Most likely it’s the front crank seal, is this something that can be fixed without taking the engine apart?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
If it is your crankshaft seal, you will probably have to take quite a bit of stuff apart to replace it. But I haven't heard of anybody having to replace their crankshaft seal on a Titan yet. Are you sure that it is the crankshaft seal that is leaking? Other common leaks in that area are things like a tranny fluid leaks coming from the hoses going to and from the radiator (or from the radiator itself) or even an oil cooler leak. Sometimes people have also had their front dif puke gear oil all over their engine bay out of the overflow which is located next to the airbox. But if you are having problems identifying whether the leak is coming from the main seal or not, chances are that a main seal replacement wouldn't be a repair you would tackle yourself anyway, so I would just take it to a shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't heard of any front crank seals leaking either. I've cleaned the front of the engine twice, which is oil. It's looks like the leak is behind the crank pulley. I don't know what else it could be in that area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link on the manual, going to clean engine compartment one more time just to make sure. If that’s where the leak is then I’m going in. Let you know the out come in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am having the same problem. I cleaned engine a couple times & now I'm getting ready to take it to machanic. What did your issue turn out to be? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was leaking. The FSM is ridiculous; I asked a tech at the dealer if they actually pulled the motor for this, and of course they don't.

You will need to pull the rad to get a pulley puller in there, which means a mess of antifreeze and tranny fluid but that's as bad as it gets. Check the hoses down there while you're at it.

The trickiest part is getting the pulley bolt out of the crankshaft; pull the fuel pump fuse and get a ratchet strap for your breaker bar, and then get creative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts