Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious on how many 4x4 owners have had their front diff fail?

I lost mine after 5 months of daily driving last winter in Alaska and my dealer said they have replaced quite a few...so I am just wondering if any others have lost their front diff...

·
Registered
690 Posts
The only ones that I have heard of failing were due to heavy acceleration in 4WD and using excessive throttle in reverse while in 4WD. Usually abuse.
It is probably different in your case since you have to use 4WD a lot more for obvious reasons. Do you usually commute in 4WD?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Voodoo said:
just curious on how many 4x4 owners have had their front diff fail?

I lost mine after 5 months of daily driving last winter in Alaska and my dealer said they have replaced quite a few...so I am just wondering if any others have lost their front diff...

Did they give you sny grief with your lift? Do you think the lift put the stress on it to cause it to break with the endless winter here?

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
I lost my front diff last winter. I was backing up hill into a barn with about 10 bales of hay in the bed. My tires were spinning for about 50' under light throttle.
At the time, I had about 20k on my 05, with about 6-7k miles of the 20k in 4WD. I had done this probably 30 or 40 times that winter when she finally broke.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Mine was replaced but never failed and I don't think replacement was even needed. They claimed a little play in one of the half shafts was causing a clunk sound at times when going over bumps. Well.....they replaced it and the clunk sound has never gone away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my '05, the front diff. never failed but it was always very, very loud when in 4WD. Lots of vibration emating under the feet. On the '08, the front diff is very quite in 4WD. Not sure if they changed the front diff. on the '08.

·
Registered
483 Posts
CentralMA_Titan said:
On my '05, the front diff. never failed but it was always very, very loud when in 4WD. Lots of vibration emating under the feet. On the '08, the front diff is very quite in 4WD. Not sure if they changed the front diff. on the '08.
I had the same problem last winter a few times I had it in 4wd and each time it was very loud. When I went back to 2wd the noise was gone and everything seemed like it was normal. This winter I am going to be watching for that noise very closely to see what the problem might be.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had the same problem last winter, around November...Dealer had to replace the whole thing. I didn't even realize when it happened. I would assume it occurred while commuting in 4WD. I just remember an oily smell when getting in the truck on morning, got back out and moved the truck and there was a huge puddle of what looked like brand new motor oil. I thought it was from the engine at first and thought I was in big trouble. Took it in and the axle had ripped away from the diff putting a big hole in it.

Thank God it was under warranty at the time. You being in AK driving in 4WD is best to keep from spinning out in many cases.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think anything was actually wrong with my front diff. - always performed fine, no leaks, etc. It just seemed a bit too loud. I hadn't experienced that with other 4WD vehicles.

I think they put more sound deadening material in the '08. So, the front diff. may be as loud, but the noise isn't making it into the cabin.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
CentralMA_Titan said:
I don't think anything was actually wrong with my front diff. - always performed fine, no leaks, etc. It just seemed a bit too loud. I hadn't experienced that with other 4WD vehicles.

I think they put more sound deadening material in the '08. So, the front diff. may be as loud, but the noise isn't making it into the cabin.
My 04 is always louder (along with a little underfoot vibration), as was the 07 and 08 I drove, while in 4WD. It's normal.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the dealer said he believes most of the diffs they replace up here in Alaska are due to all the highway driving in 4wd...people up here drive 70mph on the hwy covered in snow/ice (crazy) of course everyday I drive home theres at least 2 in the ditch (7mile commute)

Yes, pretty much all winter my truck is in 4wd

no the dealer didnt give me any grief with my truck lifted...he actually likes my truck and told me if I have any probs, just bring it in.

I hear all the info here on the rear diff problems...I think the front diff is of the same quality as the rear (fine for daily use, but make it work and the chance to fail goes way up)

no I dont abuse my truck, just use it for what a 4wd truck is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't do much over 45 mph driving in 4WD as I live and work on Elmendorf, so I think it is simply the constant driving in 4WD or hiting grippy/pavement patches on the road, other than that I have no clue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts