Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas ! I recently had a front upper ball joint failure on my 06 Titan SE, lifted the front passenger side and replaced it.
Right after I went doing shopping and groceries and saw fluid spills to a few places I’ve parked, though it was condensed water from the A/C but the next morning I had a medium to large spill under the truck at home, put some on my finger tips and it was oil , not tranny or engine fluid , smells more like gear fluid, weird honey kind of Color. My guess is front diff oil. Didn’t have time yet to investigate the leak further since I got a newborn baby girl at home ! Just wondering if lifting it on a jack could create a leak from either a vent tube or something similar !? Thanks

Chris

·
Banned
9 Posts
Smell it. All the fluids in a vehicle have very distinct smells. Brake fluid and power steering fluid smell somewhat the same but gear oil has a smell and texture like nothing else...assuming you know what motor oil, trans fluid and brake fluid smell like. If it was honey color and thicker than motor oil then id say yes its gear oil. Gear oil is usually a yellowish honey color where power steering fluid is much thinner and usually much darker in color.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Throw a piece of cardboard under the truck and weigh it down so it dont move. Let it sit overnight and check it out in the morning. Newspaper can be used but i prefer something thicker.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Smell it. All the fluids in a vehicle have very distinct smells. Brake fluid and power steering fluid smell somewhat the same but gear oil has a smell and texture like nothing else...assuming you know what motor oil, trans fluid and brake fluid smell like. If it was honey color and thicker than motor oil then id say yes its gear oil. Gear oil is usually a yellowish honey color where power steering fluid is much thinner and usually much darker in color.
...and it smells like old hockey equipment lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts