Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting here. I'm a girl and a tax accountant, but I like trucks. Especially this truck!

I bought a 2012 Pro4X in excellent shape with 30k miles a little over a month ago. My first drive off-road was simply a gravel road. I switched to 4WD for a few miles just for the heck of it. At one point I hit a cattle guard with a big hole on the blind side a bit too fast. Ouch!!

Now there's an ugly noise/vibration in the left front over small bumps on pavement. I took it to an alignment shop and they found nothing wrong in the CVs, tie rods, etc. They checked all the engine and body panel mounts.

So I'm still trying to diagnose the issue. It's bad and getting worse in two wheel drive. It's better when it's in 4WD and under power, but sounds/feels the same when not under torque (coasting). This leads me to think it's the front drive shaft u-joints. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
A hard bump shouldn't affect your driveshaft. The independent front suspension pretty much isolates the shaft from those impacts. You could have a brake caliper dragging or something, but my guess is you blew the front wheel bearing on that side or you damaged the CV and you alignment shop is a bunch of idiots. But its likely the bearings. You should be able to test your theory by pulling the front driveshaft and seeing if the noise is still there on a test drive. Just be sure to mark your flanges and mounts so you put it back in the correct orientation, in case there is any kind of dynamic balance to it.

Reactions: lizajane29

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I just drove it again in 4WD in town. A tight turn in a parking lot feels like I'm driving in deep gravel or mud. Does that still sound like a wheel bearing?

BTW, the guy at the alignment shop has worked there 25 years. He may be an idiot, but he's had lots of practice. LOL

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I just drove it again in 4WD in town. A tight turn in a parking lot feels like I'm driving in deep gravel or mud. Does that still sound like a wheel bearing?

BTW, the guy at the alignment shop has worked there 25 years. He may be an idiot, but he's had lots of practice. LOL
Don't take turns in 4wd on dry pavement. You'll feel it bind up and it's putting a lot of stress on the components, you can damage something. The 4x4 drive train in the Titan needs slippage (dirt, mud, snow, etc.) when turning and maneuvering.

Reactions: lizajane29

·
Registered
14,137 Posts

never put the truck in 4wd on dry pavement and doing turns, great way to blow up the front diff. honestly, only use it when you need it, bombing down dirt roads in 4wd isn't necessary and just causes extra wear.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
5/60 powertrain warranty! Take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
5/60 powertrain warranty! Take it to a dealer.
but don't tell them how it happened, just say it randomly started doing that.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Listen to these guys^
yeah, don't tell them well i put it in 4hi, did a wire bypass to lock the rear end, and then do some WOT run down the drag strip:devil::devil:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Yeah.. sounds like a front U-joint. if it's under warranty Just take it in...have them do it. IF that's it, then a home repair is fairly easy and really cheap also easy to diagnose. If you listened to all those who say when and where not to use 4wd.. It all adds up to pretty much 'Never use 4wd' That's just riduculous, however locking in and turning tight on pavement or hard pack IS the WORST thing you can do to a 4x4 system. I use mine often at work when the gravel and dirt roads are dry because having the front tires powered when going up the mountain helps slow wear and chunking on my rear tires. Conversely, IMHO and experience, NOT using 4x4 at all is the second hardest thing on the system. Find a steep clay or sand hill or a mudhole and play with the 4x4.. otherwise.. what's the point. Good luck on the fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts