Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some searching on the forums and Google and it seems like the rattle/clunk is either caused by dead shocks or problems with the LCA shock mount holes getting enlarged over time. Nissan has put out a few TSB's saying to replace the UCA, LCA, swaybar endlinks and swaybar bushings.

I replaced the shocks about a month ago with some KYB shocks, added the PRG 1.5" spacer in the front (1" in the rear), and replaced the brakes while I had it on the lift. When I took the truck out of the shop the rattle that was there was louder than I remembered it and instead of only happening on some of the nastier bumps, it was happening all the time and not only was it loud, but what ever is/was rattling was transferring the motion through the floor boards.
After about two weeks of dealing with it and tearing the shocks off to check I had everything back where it was supposed to be and nice and tight, I gave in and took it to the local Nissan stealership for a diagnosis. They had it all day and all they could tell me was replace the parts mentioned in the above TSB. Wanting a second opinion that wouldn't set me back 2k, I found a local repair shop that is held in high regard and asked them to take a look and they came to the same conclusion.

Three days and $1800 later, the damn rattle is still there. Anyone have any ideas at all in narrowing this down?

Edit: Took a look at the coil bucket and saw a little wear so I felt the (new) UCA in the same spots and those had already started to wear as well. Would that cause the noise that I am hearing even on small stuff? I would think that it would only be on the bigger holes or any time the suspension fully extends out.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Sounds like your UCA is hitting the coil bucket, especially if there are little dents in you CB and UCA. If it got worse after you put the spacer on the front, that is what is happening. You really shouldn't have any issues with only a 1.5" spacer, but that is what it sounds like. You could take a grinder to the area on the cb where you see it worn, it might be enough to give you enough clearance for the UCA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you try replacing the Sway Bar End links? They can make some annoying noises when they go bad. Not very expensive and easy to do even if it turns out not being the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I did some more looking and figured out the UA contact is from when I had to change my tire. The swaybar endlinks and bushings were changed along with the UCA/LCA's.

Good news is we think we found the problem and it is an easy fix. Upper strut mount bushings. When the suspension is loaded and then unloaded in rapid succession, like on a speed bump or washboard roads, the master nut is raising off of the mount plate on the load and then hitting it when the suspension unloads. Bad news is it cost $1900 in parts and labor to figure this out. Once the new parts are on, along with a custom insulator between the nut and plate I'll post up the results.

This may explain why some people replace their struts and the problem goes away if the new assembly is a straight drop in and you don't need the old coils.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any chance you forgot the big washer between the top of strut and bottom of the bushing? OEM struts had it built into the boot and a replacement came with the bilsteins I just installed. I have a 130K on my 04 4x4. the struts were shot as were the UCA and ball joints but the strut bushings looked like new still. As for hitting the UCA it only happens when you hit a bump hard enough to let the tire almost come of the ground and fully extend. I ground a notch out several years ago when I installed the PRG spacers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm about 85% sure that we put both the boots on with their washers, but I'll find out next weekend when the truck is back on the rack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, all the washers were where they were supposed to be and the factory bushings in the upper mount assembly were shot. The were compressed to just over half the new bushing height. Here's the kicker, the rattle is still there and thats after having new front axles put in too. All thats left is either my KYB shocks are now dead from the lack of proper bushings, or the PRG spacer is the real problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to comment on the front end clunk issue with the Titans. I have an 07 Titan with the OFF-Road package that developed the infamous clunk about a year ago. I went thru the truck with a fine tooth comb and found that there wasn't a loose or worn out component on the truck anywhere and the clunk/popping noise that I was hearing in the right front side was a result of a bad strut. I then ordered new struts and when installing I noticed that the mounting hole on the LCA was out of round. Curious of this I ordered another LCA and brand new that hole is slotted! Ruling that theory out as a cause to the noise, I simply just installed the new KYB struts and the noise was gone. Now, a year later I suddenly started hearing the same noise on the same side. I again went thru everything and replaced the sway arm bushings and endlinks just because they look slightly worn and everything else checked out great again. The noise was still there after the new bushing / endlinks were installed, so I called the parts dealer and had them get me another set of KYB's under warranty. I just installed the KYB's and the noise is gone!!!! Apparently there is too much travel in the suspension for the length strut that they are using and its causing premature strut failure. If it happens again I am getting a longer travel strut!

LONG STORY SHORT IT IS THE STRUTS THAT IS CAUSING THE CLUNKING NOISE, BECAUSE THEY ARE TOPING AND BOTTOMING OUT OVER RAPID OR HARD SUSPENSION CYCLE! IT'S NOT THE OBLONGED MOUNTING HOLE ON THE LCA!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts