Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 Titan with 60k on it a few months ago and in that time I've noticed the front pinion seal leaking. I have a buddy who is a machanic and we started to replace the seal at his shop today. We were having a really tough time getting the pinion nut off and once we got it about half way off and could see some of the threads on the nut we could see it had been cross threaded and that's why it was so tough to get off. :crying:Not having a replacement nut and we didn't take the nut off and instead put it back together without replacing the seal. I'm almost positive the seal hadn't been replaced before, which would mean the factory did that, which seems hard to believe. My machanic friend is worried the threads on the shaft may also be messed up and have to be rethreaded which won't be easy. My question is has anyone else had this happen? If so what was the damage and what did you do? Also does anyone know the part number for that nut and what it costs?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Finding the nut will be tough....In my experience the threads on the pinion hold up and only the threads on the nut get damaged...the nut is softer...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I sure hope it's the case that the shaft will be ok and just the nut is messed up. Guess there will only be one way to find out though. No one in town has a nut, but it can be ordered for around $10. I just can't believe the factory would have cross threaded that, and aren't those suppose to be torqued to a certain spec? If that's the case how can that have been done correctly when it's cross threaded?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts