Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing after another here. I had my front pinion seal replaced by a local shop and it is still leaking. Attempted to take it back and got into argument with the new owner and dont trust them anymore. Great shop for the past 10 yrs...now will not be returning. anyways, now I'm concerned with the pinion nut torque. Could an improperly torqued nut cause the leak or just the seal not done correctly? What are the symptoms of a too tight or too loose nut? I have not heard any whining sounds and can turn the front diff by hand when the tires are in the air. I know how important it is to have the proper torque set. Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you had the axle shafts disconnected from the diff then could use a beam style torque wrench to measure the rotating torque required to turn the pinion and see if it's in spec. Is there any axial play (in and out) or radial play in the pinion? If it's got play then it's likely too loose. The leak could be either a bad install of the seal or the pinion could have a groove worn in it from riding a seal for so long and will no longer seal which would require replacing the pinion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Only way to really tell would be to pull that seal off and check for a wear groove on the pinion. If no groove, install new seal. Very possible that they just messed up the lip of the seal when installing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will go ahead and do that and just grab a new seal. I felt weary having them do it in the first place but they gave me a discount since they were under there anyways replacing my manifolds...which I was not equipped to do.

Also on a side note, how much play is normal on the driver side axle shaft at the front diff? My passenger side does not move, but my driver side has a little bit of wiggle. Not alot but it does indeed have a little play. I read some say that was normal and anothers say no.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My driver side axle is the same way. Not sure if it's designed that way but it does sound somewhat normal lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts