Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my titan since november and it came with a leveling kit that was already installed. I live in the country and work in the oil field and have some pretty bad roads i have to travel. The front end makes banging noises when i hit pot holes and big bumps acts like struts aren't doing anyhting. They are not blown just wondering what i can do to help solve this issuse

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'm willing to bet that if they are the factory shocks still, they are blown. Doesn't take much to tear up the internals on them.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
You are probably getting coil bucket contact. Is your truck a 4x4? Any idea of how big the leveling kit is? If you have a 4x4, then the largest spacer you can use is 2", otherwise you get coil bucket contacts and it makes a loud noise similar to what you describe.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Theres a few threads on this. I have a 2011 pro4x that comes with Rancho shocks. My titan also came with a leveling kit. It clunks just like yours and from the many who have this problem on here, it comes down to the shocks are terrible topping out or the level causing coil bucket contact. I personally think its the Ranchos but there are some without ranchos that have it and there are some without a level that have it so its about narrowing it down to the shock / coils, level, coil bucket contact.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are probably getting coil bucket contact. Is your truck a 4x4? Any idea of how big the leveling kit is? If you have a 4x4, then the largest spacer you can use is 2", otherwise you get coil bucket contacts and it makes a loud noise similar to what you describe.
yes its a 4x4 and no i'm not sure of the size of the leveling kit so would a different leveling kit solve this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theres a few threads on this. I have a 2011 pro4x that comes with Rancho shocks. My titan also came with a leveling kit. It clunks just like yours and from the many who have this problem on here, it comes down to the shocks are terrible topping out or the level causing coil bucket contact. I personally think its the Ranchos but there are some without ranchos that have it and there are some without a level that have it so its about narrowing it down to the shock / coils, level, coil bucket contact.
yeah its rather annoying i would love to get a set of prg coil overs but not really in the budget at the moment

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
mine clunk too, without a leveling kit. i'm assuming my rancho's are blown. Next time its in the dealership i'm having them work on it, warranty is the best lol. Take a look at your coilbuckets, see if there are marks from the upper control arms hitting. if thats what it is you can try grinding on the lip where they are hitting. if there is no contact marks than its prolly your shocks...bilstein hd shocks are good replacments that dont lift the truck at all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah having the factory warranty is nice. I'm just hoping for an inexpensive way to solve the issue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just got brand new Bilsteins on the front and it's making a banging noise not so much of a clunk. Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts