Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys / gals,
I have a 2010 Titan CC 4x4. Last 6 months or possibly longer I have had a lot of creaking in the front end when going over speed bumps and such, but over the last month or two it's gotten louder and when I steer slowly (like when parking) I can hear more creaking and knocking. I am assuming its some sort of joint, was wondering if anyone knew what it was, and how hard to fix. I'm handy but not a mechanic. Want some advice before I take it to a shop. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, all stock suspension, have about 108k on it now.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
At 108k and 9 years all your suspension parts are worn out. Shocks, ball joints, rod ends, sway bar links and bushings, etc.

You can probably get away without replacing the ball joints (I have 150k on my lower ball joints). Shocks, tie rod ends, sway bar links and bushings can be done in an afternoon if you're mechanically inclined, and you can compress the coils.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lax, I will see what parts cost, is it worth upgrading any of them or stick with OEM?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Bilstein 5100 shocks are much better than OEM. Everything else, just aftermarket or OEM whatever is cheaper. I bought AutoZone tie rod ends that have been great. I removed my sway bar so I don't deal with the end links and bushings, but they're easy to replace.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks for the advice, I will keep the forum posted on what I end up doing. Having a mechanic look at it next week to get another opinion based on physical touch / diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Bilstein 5100 shocks are much better than OEM. Everything else, just aftermarket or OEM whatever is cheaper. I bought AutoZone tie rod ends that have been great. I removed my sway bar so I don't deal with the end links and bushings, but they're easy to replace.
Lax what does removing the sway bar do? Not criticizing just curious.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Lax what does removing the sway bar do? Not criticizing just curious.
It removes the hard link between your front wheels. The bar connects your LCA's to each other as well as to the frame of the truck. Removing it increases body roll (leaning on turns) which can reduce handling, but I have never felt out of control even on turns at speed. Removing it allows the front wheels to move independently, giving a smoother ride even over small bumps. You can try it without removing the bar if you want (I did). Just unhook the end links from each side and push the bar out of the way. I noticed it immediately when pulling into raised drives like parking lots or driveways off the street. You normally hit that with 1 tire at a time so it would push the truck up on one side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
LaxDfns15
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing