Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Technically yes, but you would need longer CV's to make it function. Not to mention that it is smaller and more fragile than the titan's...

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I'd look for a junker and take the diff...just a thought. I certainly wouldn't put a weaker one in...especially if the original one has gone bad.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd look for a junker and take the diff...just a thought. I certainly wouldn't put a weaker one in...especially if the original one has gone bad.

Where is a good place to look for one? Nothing in the local junk yards in my area.

Did they fix the issues with the new ones? like 09 and newer?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
They upgraded the front diff from the early model years to resist the half shafts pulling out and they also added more webbing to the housing for reinforcement. Not sure exactly when this happened.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They upgraded the front diff from the early model years to resist the half shafts pulling out and they also added more webbing to the housing for reinforcement. Not sure exactly when this happened.
So help me out with understanding a few things.

1. When I find a "new" differential what do I need to do in order to make sure things are set right so that it will function properly without f'in up? Or what do I need to have done to it?

The Rear differential... Would I not be able to run the truck at all even in 4wd if the rear differential was screwed up? I ask this because of the very light gear oil leak. I don't really know the condition of the rear diff, I've just assumed all is well back there. So I don't want to fix the front and assume the rear is good, when it's not.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You need to make sure that the gear ratios are the same between the front and rear differentials. Other than that, it would depend on the internal condition of the diff (gears, bearings, seals). A brand new one comes with a warranty. I dunno about used ones.

The gear oil leak needs to be stopped. Depending on where the leak is located, that could be very simple (remove diff cover, clean off old RTV, put on new RTV, replace cover), to more complex and costly (replace axle bearings & seals).

Here is a thread on how to R&R the front diff. It also includes a photo which shows the increased webbing on the upgraded front diff housing.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...ing-front-differential-titan.html#post1997903

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Judging by all the exploding front diffs on the Titan I think the Titan received a Frontier front diff. :teethmast

1 - 10 of 10 Posts