Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my truck the sales rep said it would get between 14 and 18 MPG or close to it and the window sticker supported his claim (as I recall). I have since found this to be untrue. Regardless of how I drive I get in the neighborhood of 10/11 MPG in the city and 12 or so on the highway. I have a leveling kit and a K/N cold air intake, neither of which would I expect to cause such a dramatic performance drop. I asked a mechanic friend who said it's all in how I drive, implying that since it's there, I am probably on the throttle all the time. The fact is that I drive patiently and rarely exceed 2500 rpm. I have started using Lucas Upper End Lubricant, deemed a tune-up in a bottle, and I had the manifold and injectors cleaned at 25,000 miles, all of which produced no noticeable change in performance. I would expect this performance if I had a lead foot or when I am off road but in normal circumstances it seems unreasonable. I have owned two dodge pick ups, a Chevy, and a Ford, and though they all performed at the bottom of their rated fuel economy, they at least hit it. I am off the bottom of the chart. Does anyone have any input?

It is at the dealer as I am typing this. I will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The last thing I want to do is berate a fellow Titan owner, so please don't take offense. With that said, I think the majority of owners certainly didn't buy their truck for the fuel econ. There are a few mods that you can do to try and maximize the amount of miles per tank, however, it's not going to be ~10 miles more to the gallon.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If your truck is still new, give it until 12-15K miles before making that judgement. Mine started to see 15.5-17mpg hwy at about 17K miles on the odometer. I got as high as 18.1 (4wd and big tow).

·
Registered
58 Posts
At about 10K miles mine jumped from about 12 mpg to 14 in town, basically overnight, I guess it just takes a while for them to break in...

Other than that if you want good gas mileage, get a 4 cyl car....like others, not trying to be rude, but gas mileage was way down on the list of things I was worried about when I bought a 5.6 liter, 365 hp V8 to tow my 21 foot boat with a dual axle trailer like a dream:cheers:

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
He has over 25000 miles on it per his post. I hope he never reads all the posts from the guys getting 18-20 mpg...lol. My city average is between 12-14, but you will read a ton of posts claiming 16-18, I just smile when I see them.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
sudden urge said:
He has over 25000 miles on it per his post. I hope he never reads all the posts from the guys getting 18-20 mpg...lol. My city average is between 12-14, but you will read a ton of posts claiming 16-18, I just smile when I see them.
Sorry, I admit to skimming the text. There are a ton of reasons that mileage might be low, including ethanol blended fuels, parking brake adjustment too tight, driving style, tires and pressure, air filter, bad sensors, etc. The only advice is to identify all the causes and take them out of the equation one by one.

For me, I would start by using a quality brand of fuel and staying with it as a basis for comparison. I see too many people buy the cheapest junk fuel. I have a station in town whose fuel will consistantly deliver 2-4 mpg less than the fuel I normally buy, and less than other blended fuels. I have heard others who have also experienced consistantly bad mileage from that brand of fuel (Cenex).

·
Registered
226 Posts
i'm getting 18 highway out of mine... though it is a 2wd so that might have something to do with it. i've no idea what i get in town.

based on info i've read, and been told, i'd look into the fuel thing as MH mentioned. make sure you stay away from ethanol as much as possible. i wouldn't think it'd make that big of a difference, but perhaps it does?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I consistently get approx. 14.5 - 16.0 mpg averaged around town and on the highway. Of course I have over 70K miles on mine now. Maybe as it gets older it gets better.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ethanol blended will cause fuel mileage drop. That has been proven here and by third party people on different vehicles. The first thing I would check would be the tire pressure. It makes more of a difference than you would believe. Other than that, not much advice. The lift/leveling kit will make it go down, though, so will wider tires, not blowing it out regularly(stated that he rarely goes over 2500 rpms).

·
Registered
109 Posts
The biggest effect on mpg is your driving techniqe. My last 2 tanks have been 18.5 and 18.7 mpg. This is on mixed driving. I usually drive the speed limit or 5 mph above. I have 8000 miles on my Titan now.

If you want some tips on how to get better mpg check out this web site:

cleanmpg.com

If you are really interested in improving you MPG look into buying a ScanGauge II. They will do number of things one of which is give you instant mpg. This will allow you to analyze your driving technique and allow you to see what types of things effect your MPG.

I consider 18 mpg with 320 hp a good trade off.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I consistantly hit 15-16 in the city.....I dont think my truck has 320 to 365 HP like those trucks stated above me, I think I was rated at 317 or there abouts....maybe thats why i hit the 15+ mark all the time.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
sudden urge said:
I love to make you smile! I get 14-15 local, mostly 14. I drive about 12 miles to work. Pure long distance highway, with family of 4 and luggage, I get 18.5-19 @75-85MPH. By myself, I've gotten 20.3!

I have Big Tow, 2WD with Mods listed below.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Likewise Titanblue. I've gotten 20.3 ONCE. It must've been downhill with a tail wind LOL. I haven't been able to duplicate it! Most of the time on highway, 19.4-19.7. Of course, that was with the stockers, I haven't gauged it since I got the 20's. I'm almost afraid to but it couldn't have dropped much or I would've noticed.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
hell i only get 10 to 9.8 driving here in new york knew what i was getting into though lol. highway get about 14-16. I have lift kit too 4x4 big tow.

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether or not a Titan will get terrible MPG's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Without sounding ungrateful to all of you who have taken the time to read my thread, I will clarify that though I didn't buy my truck to improve on fuel economy from the previous Guzzler (Ram quad cab) I think we can all agree that it should be able to at the very least perform similarly. I have been driving large gas guzzlers for nearly as long as I have been driving and I chose to post here because I truly believe something is wrong with my truck. I know all about driving habits and though I may normally drive more agressivly I have made a great effort to pay attention to and change my habits for the sake of testing the situation. I have kept up the maintenence on my truck, and It was broken in carefully. You have my attention regarding the emergency brakes and the possiblity they are not tensioned correctly. Is there an easy way to test it?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
If your truck creeps forward with your foot off the brake, it's ok.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
blavis said:
It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether or not a Titan will get terrible MPG's.
There are sooooo many variables. My suburban driving is nothing to compare to real city driving, like if I was in Washington DC, and creeping along. I'd see 8 MPG or worse, then. I have lots of lights, but easy 45 avg speed when it's not stopped. Not much traffic jams like manyhave to put up with.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Couple of ideas for you: Tire pressure has been mentioned before, but if you have a low-restriction intake, that can affect it. I have a low-restriction air filter in a box at home, because I went back to the paper filter. With the paper filter on, I get 14.7 and up to 15.4 in my driving, consistently. And I've done as well as 18.6 on the highway at about 72 MPH. With the low-restriction filter, I get 13.4 to 14.2 (city/highway commuting). So the low-restriction filter goes in only for towing duty.

Also, on driving style: learn to coast! The design of the fuel system is such that any time you have your foot on the gas, it's just throwing gas in. When you get off the gas, the truck uses about .5 gallons per hour. All it takes is touching the gas, and it's immediately feeding fuel. Try getting off the gas about a half block or more (depending on the terrain) before you have to stop. Also, let a gap open in front of you in slow traffic so you're off the pedal as much as possible.

Another thing you can do is to map your consumption at different acceleration rates. I took several weeks to do this, over several tanks of the same gas, bought at the same place. Consider that the auto trans on the Titan is a torque management system, rather than a speed management system as found in older automatic transmissions. How you "feed" it torque from the engine matters. I found that if I accelerate with the tach at a constant 2300 RPM, I get WAY better mileage. I can affect it by at least 2.5 MPG. Now you won't always be able to accelerate like that a lot, but do it as you are able and it will help.

Hope this helps you. :cheers:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now we are getting some where! thanks for the input. I do have a low restriction air intake and your theory sounds right on! Now I just need the factory intake as it would seem that I misplaced mine:futwice: . Does anybody have a factory intake that they would like to part with?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.