Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well took a trip to Sandiago last weekend, about 450miles from where i live. Went about 85 the entire trip... gas mpg on the way there was horrid... averaged 12.5 but with sever head winds.. i was still a little upset with those numbers. Same trip back with no wind going 85 again i got 16.8 that im very happy about. On average i have been getting between 15.5-16.2 with my daily commute. Im more than happy seeing that considering the 08 EPA ratings showed 12-17. My old dodge hemi did 13.5 on the same daily driving.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've gotten 20 mpg on the highway with 5 people and BT gears at 60mph. It all depends on the speed. Around town, usually 13ish. But hey, its a truck with a V8. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
desertruner09 said:
I've gotten 20 mpg on the highway with 5 people and BT gears at 60mph. It all depends on the speed. Around town, usually 13ish. But hey, its a truck with a V8. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage.
Not in a 4X4 model you won't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:

..I'll be driving from SF to Redding in the morn with my 08 4x4 Titan.. so I'll report back at the end of the month. still have less then 400 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
IGBT said:
..I'll be driving from SF to Redding in the morn with my 08 4x4 Titan.. so I'll report back at the end of the month. still have less then 400 miles on the truck.
You'll be closer to 16 - 17 MPG highway. Let us know.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've done a lot of things to break 18 mpg except slow down to below 75 mph. I have added a cap, changed to synthetic oil, aired up the tires to 38 PSI. I am about to take a 700 mile trip (one way) and i am going to try premium fuel to see what happens just cause I want more range.

I do know that wind resistance goes up exponentially as speed increases, like a previous poster sated, it's all about speed.

Running hammer down aggressively in highway traffic with speeds 75 to 95 mpg I averaged 14.9 mpg.

I suspect getting those stock Goodyears off their and putting on some quality radials may help but we'll see.

On a side not, when I was looking at trucks I looked at the Dodges. I drove a couple including a Cummins powered model. The salesman kept telling me that the Nissan's were way worse on gas. What a lie that was. And the Titan is such a better truck.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Yes a head wind will effect your gas milage, just like in an aircraft a head wind you use more fuel, a tail wind you use less and go faster.

·
Registered
274 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I have gotten 20 mpg with my 4x4. It was on the way back from Brainerd, MN to NE IA (= very flat with no wind) and I drove on mostly two lane roads at 60 mph. Went 398 miles and put on 19.7 gallons for 20.2 mpg when I got home. I also had the trip up for the ecu to learn I was on a very long continuous trip. I dont have the bt gears and at 60 my revs are just under 1500 rpm. 20 mpg is possible, barely.

Reactions: Kiloms

·
Registered
61 Posts
averaging 13.5 on mines, but down here in hawaii, mpg sucks no matter what you drive unless its a 4 cyl

·
Premium Member
59,069 Posts
Highway mileage is all about the speed. Set the cruise on 70 and don't stop unless it's absolutely necessary. You will make better time than the guy doing 85. I try to make one stop for gas, food, drinks, bathroom.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently bought an 05 KC 4x4 w/ Big Tow. This weekend, I took a 240 mile round trip drive. My gas mileage was just over 18 MPG. Half the trip was highway, the other half was hilly rural roads and a few small cities. The 120 mile trip to my destination included approx 500 lbs of gear in the bed.

I never went over 75 mph (CC was set at 67 on highway) and I never exceeded 2,500 RPM. All and all, I was happy with the gas mileage. It's worth noting that I recently switched to a K&N air filter and changed the oil and F/R diff's using Mobil1.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I get about 14.5 in my 06 4x4 with BT. This is a combination of hwy @70 and city.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 04 TWD Titan with big tow has about 67,000 miles on it now. I was averaging around 13.5 in combined city/highway driving. I had the 2 degree advance done and switched from 87 to 89 octane fuel and my mileage increased to 15.8. My driving style hasn't changed, so I have to attribute the increase to the 2 degree advance and the switch in octane rating. While that isn't economy mileage, I think the increase is worth the change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 04 xe non bt and I drive 40 miles one way to work. I average close to 16 hwy but on a longer trip with no in town driving I get almost 18. My truck is a 4x4 also. The flowmaster original 40 that I added seemed to help a little bit fuel mileage wise. Who can do that 2* timing advance and does it help the life of your engine at all? I have 84000 miles on my truck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
on the screen under your speedo, push the button on the right and cycle thru till you see your instant mpg on 08s not sure about older titans

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get an average of 16.3 MPG combined driving. I think that's pretty good!
(About 10 MPG pulling my 5th wheel - I'll tale that too!!!)

Tim

2004 KC SE - Granite
4x4
Off-road Package
Big Tow Package
Utili-track System
Bed Extender
Sirius Replay (Howard!)
Add-a-leaf Spring at rear
Hercules Terra Trac Tires LT285/70/R17

Towing: 2007 Keystone Sydney 5th Wheel 31FQBHS– 35’-2”L
Hitch: Reese 16K 5th wheel with slide

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
EXILE said:
on the screen under your speedo, push the button on the right and cycle thru till you see your instant mpg on 08s not sure about older titans
I don't have that on my 08? It only comes on when the low fuel light comes on and shows how many miles I have left. If I push it, I only get the wiper fluid status???

·
Registered
37 Posts
I been averaging 15 mpg on my 07 Titan LE 4x4. Most of that is highway curising going light on the pedal. Thats the best I can do under any condition. Let me ask you guys something. I been calculating that myself with tripometer and number of gallons used. Those of you that been using a computer do you have the NAV system? B/C i have the LE model that was suppose to have been loaded, w/o Nav system. Even my 03 Impala has the onboard gas mileage computer.

She may be a gas hog but she's my hog and I love her. :informati

1 - 20 of 24 Posts