Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forums. I just bought an 08 Titan LE Crew Cab 4x4 last Friday and have just gone through my first tank of gas.

Keep in mind, I did not buy the Titan with fuel economy on my mind. I know a full size truck isn't exactly efficient. Basically, my question is does the gas mileage get better as the truck breaks in? I have 350 miles on the truck, and I got 270 out of a full tank which came out to 11.8 mpg. I drove it like a total baby, and have never exceeded 2500 rpms. I did about 60% city driving.

I've done numerous searches on here and found a boat load of threads about fuel mileage, but none related to break in. I was hoping to get around 15mpg average. Im just seeing if my goal is realistic.

Love the truck though by the way. I just came from a modded 06 Subaru STi, so the Titan is a totally different vehicle than what Im used to. This is actually my first truck.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
cfelix10 said:
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forums. I just bought an 08 Titan LE Crew Cab 4x4 last Friday and have just gone through my first tank of gas.

Keep in mind, I did not buy the Titan with fuel economy on my mind. I know a full size truck isn't exactly efficient. Basically, my question is does the gas mileage get better as the truck breaks in? I have 350 miles on the truck, and I got 270 out of a full tank which came out to 11.8 mpg. I drove it like a total baby, and have never exceeded 2500 rpms. I did about 60% city driving.

I've done numerous searches on here and found a boat load of threads about fuel mileage, but none related to break in. I was hoping to get around 15mpg average. Im just seeing if my goal is realistic.

Love the truck though by the way. I just came from a modded 06 Subaru STi, so the Titan is a totally different vehicle than what Im used to. This is actually my first truck.
Based on my experience, you seem to be right in line with where I was my first couple tanks of gas. I was just under 12 MPG when I first got the truck. I would say around 1500 miles, I noticed it got better to around 12.5 and then added my exhaust and intake. It then was consistantly around 14 until I put on my lift and now it's back down to about 11.5.

If you're doing that much city driving, you'll have a really tough time hitting 15 MPG. I will tell you though that I came from a 6 speed G35 and I like driving my Titan more. :cheers:

Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am currently in my break-in period as well. I just bought mine in November I have averaged about 13.5 overall. Most of mine is city driving. On my longer trips I have gotten 15 to 20 MPG. I am also hoping as time goes on it will get better. Although my 2 mile trip to work on dead cold mornings does not help my case any!

·
Premium Member
75,752 Posts
as you drive the titan the computer learns and you will see small increases in mileage.. that is if you can keep your foot out of it...... that my friends, is the hard part.

around 10k she should be all warmed up!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have 5K on mine and average about 13 MPG (sometimes less, sometimes more). I too was hoping for around 15 MPG average but have all but given up on that idea.

·
Super Moderator
161,758 Posts
Your mileage probably will improve over time. Out to about 5-10k miles. Don't expect it to be huge improvements though. I average around 14-15 with a combined type of driving for my daily commute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully it gets better, but its also not the end of the world if it doesn't until gas hits $4.00/gallon.

Everything else with the truck has been great, except it feels like my rotors are warped at 300 miles. Im getting a shimmy in the truck and steering wheel when hitting the brakes. Anyone else have that issue with an 08?

·
Registered
362 Posts
That could just be a tire/wheel out of balance. My Titan has been showing very slight improvement with each year. In '04 (starting in May) average was 13.5. In '05 it went to 13.9. '06 brought me 14.3, and '07 yeilded 14.9. Pretty much the same kind of driving every year with about 3500 miles of pulling a 5000# boat in each of those years too. These numbers do not take into account the negative 4% odometer error which would boost the averages by 4%.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Unfortunately, you MAY get MAYBE another mile per gallon..that's about it. My 04 had the same mileage from day one til the day I traded it in over 3 years later. Apparently the non tow versions were a little better. I now have an 08 PRO-4X CC LWB w/tow and, although I still only have about 500 miles on it, am getting around 12 MPG around town. I don't expect it to get much, if any, better.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm just over 5,800 miles and with in-city driving I consistently get 12.5 - 13.5

Recently I drove all around the parish with some friends checking out various spots for duck hunting. I had my Honda Rancher 4x4 in the back. Most of the driving was 55 - 62 mph and I got 15.8 mpg. I find it very surprising that even while carrying a load, the fuel mileage is still that much better than what I get in the city.

My best tank was driving down to Holly Beach in September. I got just over 17mpg - I was elated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wobble is definitely not a tire balancing issue. At 75mph the truck feels great, its just when i apply the brakes that i get a shake. Its not terrible, but its annoying in a $40,000 brand new truck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My 08 is getting 12.5-13.8 in mixed driving. Most of my driving is short trips less than 10 miles, which doesn't help. The cold weather doesn't help either. The past few fill-ups have all been in the 13-13.8 range. I did make a 120 mile highway run that returned about 16. All these numbers are hand calculated, since the onboard system tends to read about 0.2-0.4 MPG too high.

When I got my old 02 Dakota (4.7L, 4x4), it was only getting in the mid-13s when it was new. It eventually improved to near 15. Hopefully, my Titan follows a similar trend!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would have to agree with many of these statements based on my experience. I have a 2WD KC with tow package.

I work about 1 mile from my home, 3-4 days per week, and spend most of my weekends within a 6 mile radius of my home. During these days, my computer will stay around a 12.5 average mpg. And that's driving conservatively- not stepping into the throttle.

The other 1-2 days I have to drive 22 miles to my downtown office. During these days, my average goes all the way up to 16 mpg. And with more green lights, sometimes I can get it even higher!

If you're going to drive mostly stop & go city driving, short trips, your mileage will suffer- fast. This truck has a much more respectable mpg when you can stay around a consistent 40-50 MPH. At that speed, it will chug around 1500 rpms and be very happy.

I have 5000 miles have not noticed a huge difference in my mpg.

·
Registered
367 Posts
cfelix10 said:
The wobble is definitely not a tire balancing issue. At 75mph the truck feels great, its just when i apply the brakes that i get a shake. Its not terrible, but its annoying in a $40,000 brand new truck.
It is possible to warp the rotors if you wash your truck (& get them wet) before they cool down on thier own. Just a thought.

HudsonValleyTitan said:
Unfortunately, you MAY get MAYBE another mile per gallon..that's about it. My 04 had the same mileage from day one til the day I traded it in over 3 years later. Apparently the non tow versions were a little better. I now have an 08 PRO-4X CC LWB w/tow and, although I still only have about 500 miles on it, am getting around 12 MPG around town. I don't expect it to get much, if any, better.
That's what i'm geting after 1100 miles. I thought the EPA's new "real world" estimates were supposed to be more accurate - which they might be for a 2wd king cab. I'm guessing i'll be getting 13-13.5 in the summer.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Bullwinkle said:
It is possible to warp the rotors if you wash your truck (& get them wet) before they cool down on thier own. Just a thought.

That's what i'm geting after 1100 miles. I thought the EPA's new "real world" estimates were supposed to be more accurate - which they might be for a 2wd king cab. I'm guessing i'll be getting 13-13.5 in the summer.
I think the numbers are closer to real world now. Sticker says 12/17, which is about right so far. You and I have similar 4WD LWB CCs so our mileage should be about the same.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
cfelix10 said:
That there my friend is warped rotors. Having it turned should fix it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts