Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lots of gas mileage threads on here.... out of curiosity I just searched the ratings for Dodge, Chevy, Ford, and Toyota

Titan
4x2 - 13/18
4x4 - 12/17

Dodge w/ Hemi
4x2 - 14/20
4x4 - 13/19

Ford w/ Ecoboost
4x2 - 16/22
4x4 - 15/21

Ford w/ 5.0
4x2 - 15/21
4x4 - 14/19

Ford w/ 6.2
4x2 - 13/18
4x4 - 12/16

Chevy 1500 w/ 5.3
4x2 - 15/21
4x4 - 14/20

Toyota
4x2 -16/20 - Can't find data for a crew cab 4x4 w/ the 5.7 V8.... their website is very very slow right now.

Not sure what all the crying is about... it's really not that bad.... they all get 13-15 city and 18-21ish highway. An extra 2 mpg combined average gets you 40-50 miles per tank which really isn't that big a deal IMO.

If you want gas mileage and capability the new F-150 w/ the 3.7 direct-injected V6 is the ticket. It's rated at 17/23 and can pull 6500lbs.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
I know for a fact the 5.7 tundras crew cabs get less gas mileage than us. and they have like a 22 gallon tank.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Chevy seems to get the best MPG from everything I've driven... You can literally get a Vortech 5.7L that gets about the same MPG as the Ford Ecoboast does.... Consistantly getting over 15mpg in a good powered Silverado isn't uncommon at all...

·
Registered
121 Posts
good find.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chevy seems to get the best MPG from everything I've driven... You can literally get a Vortech 5.7L that gets about the same MPG as the Ford Ecoboast does.... Consistantly getting over 15mpg in a good powered Silverado isn't uncommon at all...
Actually it's a 5.3. The optional motor in the max tow package is the 6.2 (LS3 Corvette based). It used to be that you had to get a 2500 to get the 6.2. The 5.3 isn't a bad motor and you're right that in 4x2 config w/o a bunch of weight it gets good city fuel economy. But it doesn't have the grunt of the Titan or the newer gas offerings from the other MFGs... but it's a trade-off.

If I was going to buy a brand new truck and didn't need to tow 8000lbs I would get the new F-150 w/ the NA V6 in crew cab.

My brother has a 4x4 crew max Tundra his average is about 14 mixed with the 5.7 the fuel tank is just over 25 gallons
10-4.... that's what I'm seeing in my 4x2 2.94 geared Titan. I'm averaging 13.8 to 14.2 give or take.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I get better milage than him, my Titan gets 15.3 mixed & bout 16.5 hwy. I got 4x4 LE crew cab with no bt. I dont know how I get that I am not light footed.... :teethmast

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get better milage than him, my Titan gets 15.3 mixed & bout 16.5 hwy. I got 4x4 LE crew cab with no bt. I dont know how I get that I am not light footed.... :teethmast
Do you have ethanol in your gas? E10 gas will hurt fuel economy 1-2 mpg. Everything in our area is E10 now.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Az puts it in their fuel only in the winter months.
Gotcha... well then I have no idea how you are getting such good gas mileage for one of these trucks. I've gotten to the point I get excited when I see the average over 14!

Oh well... you can't buy a better/more capable truck for the money. I paid $16.5k for my 2008 CC SE 4x2 w/ 44k miles on it and it pulls all my crap to and from the track with ease. Plus it's a modern truck with all the amenities and space I could ask for. Comprable domestics were all around 5k more.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
My brother has a 4x4 crew max Tundra his average is about 14 mixed with the 5.7 the fuel tank is just over 25 gallons
Really? alot bigger than i though. My dad's truck gets less than 300 miles per tank. he's gettin like 12 mpg.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The thing is, when people post their MPG stats, they should also be posting things like:
2 or 4WD
KC or CC
BT or not
Tires
Lift?
Extra cargo they carry on a daily basis like a full tool box in the bed or keeping 100 pounds of tow equipment on the truck?

I see these MPG discussions always miss these points. Then of course driving habits, type of gas, city/hwy blah blah blah.

All of these big trucks suck gas. The Titan is not atrocious about it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? alot bigger than i though. My dad's truck gets less than 300 miles per tank. he's gettin like 12 mpg.
Ouch... I'm getting about 330 per tank right now. That's putting about 23 gallons in at a fill.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Actually it's a 5.3. The optional motor in the max tow package is the 6.2 (LS3 Corvette based). It used to be that you had to get a 2500 to get the 6.2. The 5.3 isn't a bad motor and you're right that in 4x2 config w/o a bunch of weight it gets good city fuel economy. But it doesn't have the grunt of the Titan or the newer gas offerings from the other MFGs... but it's a trade-off.....
Gotcha.... The last one I drove was still a 5.7L and had plenty of grunt... I was impressed with the MPG to Power that thing had, the interiors just weren't as comfortable IMHO....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotcha.... The last one I drove was still a 5.7L and had plenty of grunt... I was impressed with the MPG to Power that thing had, the interiors just weren't as comfortable IMHO....
Hmmmm... they never put a 5.7 LS series in a truck. I think the LT-1 in the truck was a 5.7, but when they eventually got LS motors it was the 5.3 or the iron block 6.0. I could be wrong though since I never actually owned one.... just had the Corvettes which are the 5.7 (the C5s anyway).

Yeah the interior space blew me away on my Titan... I'm 6'4" and can comfortably sit behind my driver's seat w/o moving the seat from my normal driving position. Plus the angle of the rear seat backs are actually comfortable. My father's '06 F-150 crew has a much more upright rear seat back and less leg room, not comfortable at all. I'd say you have to get a dodge mega-cab or the big cab'd Tundra to get comprable room in a truck.

·
Vendor
711 Posts
I just went through my second full tank on my new 2010 2x4 CC SE, and I'm averaging 16.2 mpg mixed. I drive right at half highway and and city traffic crap as my DD. I'm very interested to see what I get on a full highway trip I'm taking in april.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The thing is, when people post their MPG stats, they should also be posting things like:
2 or 4WD
KC or CC
BT or not
Tires
Lift?
Extra cargo they carry on a daily basis like a full tool box in the bed or keeping 100 pounds of tow equipment on the truck?

I see these MPG discussions always miss these points. Then of course driving habits, type of gas, city/hwy blah blah blah.

All of these big trucks suck gas. The Titan is not atrocious about it.
Missed your post, but all very true. Weight, especially rotating weight, is a real killer. Everytime I take the wheels/tires off my truck I'm shocked at how heavy they are and they're the OEM 18s with OEM sized Michelins.

My setup is as follows:

2WD
CrewCab
Non-BT (2.94 gears)
Stock sized Michelins on OEM 18" wheels
Stock suspension/height
Cargo - Have a UWS low-profile bed box and a bed extender. I carry my tow straps and 2 different sized hitches in there, so probably 40ish lbs. Other than that I try to keep crap out of my truck.

I'm on my first fill-up since adding the Armada air dam and so far have gone about 190 miles on 1/2 tank of gas. I'm hoping to get 340 on this tank, but we'll see.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Hmmmm... they never put a 5.7 LS series in a truck..
Alot of '90's models had the Vortech 5.7L... Alot of the current info you'll find is missing pre-1999 info.... They had the 5.7 (350cu) and I think a 6.0 (400cu) motors available... I didn't own one either but my brothers owned both and the 5.7L seemed to be the best well-rounded setup... The 6.0 might've been a motor swap for all I know because that brother is always tearing apart and rebuilding vehicles, but it averaged 11-12 mpg DD.... I just know the 5.7L was bone stock because that brother usually won't even change his own oil...

http://www.google.com/#q=silverado+5.7&hl=en&prmd=ivnsfd&ei=81dtTfW2NYXGgAeB_MWbBA&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.1,or.&fp=ece7115773cbae8d

·
Registered
432 Posts
People complaining need to realize they bought a full size with a V8. If they want better gas mileage, they should trade for a midsize truck. My '06 Frontier SE 4x4 got about 17/24 with 3" lift and 33" tires.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts