Nissan Titan Forum banner

fuel level sensor

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  2010CC -OK 
#1 ·
I took my 2005 Nissan Titan for a recall to replace the fuel sending unit a couple of months ago. Yesterday I filled my truck up, but when I took the cap off, it kind of came apart, so, I put it back together and replaced it on the tank when I was finished filling up. However, my fuel gauge was only showing a little over a half a tank. A little while later my "service engine soon" light came on, so, today I took it to an auto parts store to get the codes, and it came up with "fuel level sensor." Did the faulty gas cap have anything to do with it, or was it just a coincedence that I started having an issue? Is it possible that I was given a faulty fuel sending unit when I took it in for the recall?

#2 ·
If it was the fuel cap usually a evap code will be produced. I would replace the cap since it "came apart". You could have the code cleared to see if it was the gas cap or there is always the possibility that either the sender unit was faulty or they installed the wrong one.

#3 ·
Yeah, the gas cap was my first thought, so, I replaced it, but that didn't solve the problem. So, I took it to the dealer this morning, and, apparently, they had installed the fuel sending unit incorrectly. The wires were on the wrong side which caught the arm as it moved toward them. That's why my fuel gauge would only register no more than about a half tank.

Thanks for your help. It was much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.