Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm fueling my truck at the pumps, I generally put the pump on auto-fill while I clean the windshield and such. The pump shuts off and then I'm always able to add another 1.5 gallons of gas myself, if I pump it slowly until it cuts off again. Are you guys observing the same thing with your trucks?

Mine is a 5/18 build 2018 PR. It hasn't had the whistling tank TSB performed yet. I'm building a list of all crap that needs to be done before I take it in again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whistling tank TBS? I’m not sure I’m aware of what that is but my ‘18 Titan doesn’t seem any different than the Ford or Chevy did when I filled them up (diesel) always some foam. I just round off to the nearest dollar and call it quits. I’m not spending 15 minutes shaking the truck and trying to defoam for another gallon of fuel.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
When I'm fueling my truck at the pumps, I generally put the pump on auto-fill while I clean the windshield and such. The pump shuts off and then I'm always able to add another 1.5 gallons of gas myself, if I pump it slowly until it cuts off again.
This is true of every vehicle I have owned in the past 32 years. It's not a Titan thing or Nissan thing. All brands are that way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my wife's '18 Pathfinder clicks off and doesn't take any more fuel at all. This truck will do another 1.5 gallons, which is crazy to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I’ve seen this on several vehicles not just the Titan. I can tell you our ‘16 Jeep Wrangler is pretty much full when it cuts off. Sometimes I can’t even round off and my wife’s Mini Cooper has a fuel cell and the dealer advised her don’t even try to tip off or it will run out. He said when it clicks off Stop filling. I think their are several makes & models that have what you described.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Topping off the fuel tank is bad practice. One I am trying to break myself of as well.

·
Premium Member
68,626 Posts
Pack it full, get ready for EVAP trouble. Click off, go to next round number, quit.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Pack it full, get ready for EVAP trouble. Click off, go to next round number, quit.
Ok guys...I have an addiction.. When pump clicks off I pull the nozzle out to one inch deep and slowly top her off until gas is standing in the filler neck...

On the second gens I can get an extra gallon or two in!!!! And one of those gallons has the evap filter saturated for sure!!!

On my 18’ Armada...Forget it. Once the pump clicks off it won’t let you put another drop in!!!! Spits back at you!!!!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Ok guys...I have an addiction.. When pump clicks off I pull the nozzle out to one inch deep and slowly top her off until gas is standing in the filler neck...
I do the same on my Titan. And my last Titan. And my Toyota before that. And my Mazda before that. And my Dodge before that. And my Ford before that. And my Chevy before that....

·
Registered
35 Posts

On the second gens I can get an extra gallon or two in!!!! And one of those gallons has the evap filter saturated for sure!!!

On my 18’ Armada...Forget it. Once the pump clicks off it won’t let you put another drop in!!!! Spits back at you!!!!
My wife's 17' Armada is the same way. Anything past the first click and you have a mess. We had a 13' Rogue that would easily allow another 1-1.5 gallons after the first click.

I now have about 2,500 miles on my 19' Titan and I am noticing that if I stop at the first click the gauge doesn't even go all the way to full. I have started going to the 2nd and 3rd click but I don't want a mess so I don't push it much beyond that. At least that gets the gauge on full.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Odd, my tank always whistles but I just drove NJ to Florida and back and two fuel stops it made zero noise. How does that get explained?
Overall hand calculated mileage was 21.1 mpg, bed full of construction tools and average speed was 70-75 mph, I’m very pleased.

Clint

·
Registered
408 Posts
Those are great numbers. Puts a smile on my face. I've been trying to get home since I woke up this morning at 5 so I can see my Titan (and my wife) and I've been playing trains planes and automobiles it seems. Hopefully I'll get home by 6 tonight!.

·
Premium Member
68,626 Posts
Mine has done it for 12 years. No big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I'm fueling my truck at the pumps, I generally put the pump on auto-fill while I clean the windshield and such. The pump shuts off and then I'm always able to add another 1.5 gallons of gas myself, if I pump it slowly until it cuts off again. Are you guys observing the same thing with your trucks?

Mine is a 5/18 build 2018 PR. It hasn't had the whistling tank TSB performed yet. I'm building a list of all crap that needs to be done before I take it in again.
Thanks on the TSB, they acted like it’s “normal”. I’ve never heard anything like it.
Have you ever had an almost surging on your RPM gauge? Usually when moderate accelerating. It’s strange and been doing it since I bought it new.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Topping off your tank is a good way to f/u your evap control valve/canister. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I put it on the first indent for a slower fill and then I get back from the rest room it is just about finished. Pull it out, hang it up and drive away. It is not like one more gallon is going to make or break me getting to the next rest stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello I have a 2018 Titan pro 4x I to fill it full but after it clicks I will put my head a little closer and hear I can usually tell when I'm getting close to really full. One thing I'm not happy with is the fact that Nissan put a 26 gallon fuel tank on a truck that obviously needs a larger one I burn thru a tank of gas in 3 to 4 days I average about 15 to 18mpg now when I'm not driving fast I can get 20 to 23mpg at speeds of 60mph. I have a k&n cold air intake on here witch helps a lot but I'm adding little by little to improve my mpg at higher speeds plan on installing a external fuel cell so I can hold more gas down the road. You get out of your truck exactly what you put in it I only fill up with premium unleaded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Topping off your tank is a good way to f/u your evap control valve/canister. I speak from experience.
Topping off will not mess up your evap control valve/canister I had a 2014 GMC Sierra crew cab v6 I topped off the tank every time I filled up now I got that truck with 1k miles on it when I traded it on my Titan pro4x I had 125k miles on it never once did I have a evap problem from topping off. If you put the lowest grade fuel in it then yes your gonna have problems put premium in it top it off 26 gallons goes fast every gallon makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts