Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Functional Hood Scoop Mod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is about 98% done as I post. I need to cut out the front of the scoop I purchased, and just put more screws in to hold it on permanently. I'll need to open up the screw access holes on the underside of the hood, so I can get the screws in, without losing them. I purchased the scoop, based upon an "lptitan" recommnedation. I hadn't seen a modified CAI intake ducting that I really cared for, and some I found totally unacceptable in appearance.

I have a AEM BruteForce CAI. I already had an additional inlet cut into it, and did not have time to take it out to enlarge from a 3" hole to an ideal 4" hole. I made a steel flange to screw onto existing hole pattern, using stainlaess steel 1/4-20x 3/4" Bolts, Flatwashers, Lockwashers and Nylon Insert Locknut. Nothing like being secured well. I welded a 4"x3" Exhaust Pipe Reducer to the flange, ground it smooth, and welded a 4" Exhaust Elbow inside the Reducer. Carefully lowering the hood to get proper location and lengths to trim the pieces. Primed and Painted Red for show, wrapped in a left over piece of DEI Brand CAI Tube Wrap (the kind with a velcro closure). A piece of their aluminum tape covered the rough edge of the cut wrap. The foil insulation that you see in the first pic, was covered by the original flange, which mounted on the inside of the box. Ideally, do a 4" all the way, and a larger flange if it still has room for screws to mount.

Next, I transferred the location of the top of the elbow to the bottom side of the hood, by lowering the hood and marking with magicc marker. I drilled with a 5" Hole Saw and then deburred the hole. I used a plastic Carb to Filter adapter kit from the parts store ($10-20 bucks, sold for Chevy's IIRC), found 1 piece that happened to fit exactly into the 5" Hole, and epoxied it into place. I lowered the hood, and remarked the 4" Exhaust Elbow, to trim for a closer fit, so it is flush with the top of the hood. I had an almost perfect alignment. I grabbed the Elbow, and jerked it forward, to get a perfect concentric alignment. Finding some plastic edge trim from the scoop kit, I placed the plastic trim on top of the Exhaust elbow and the on the lowest part of the underside of the hood. You'll see it in the photos. No rough edges exist.

Install the Hood Scoop as directions included with it say to, it must be positioned with concern of the Mod I'm showing you, lining up with the scoop covering it OK. Common sense. I considered all of this and drilled for the Scoop first, then did the Elbow stuff acouple weeks later.

For final Install, I may use Blue masking tape on the top of hood and side of the scoop, and run a bead of Black RTV form the hardware store, then install the Scoop 1 last time. Clean off the RTV, and peel off the paper, then a very fine line of RTV will fill any minor gaps. I learned this from watching my Granite Countertop being installed. Scoop comes with double sided tape also. Be careful, drill pilot holes for the screws, so you don't breakout the fiberglass. Mine did just fine.

Hopefully, heres a few pics:

The Elbow and Reducer came from a local Truck Parts supplier (Keller). A truck stop would not have this.

The Scoop is from
Custom Auto Trim and Graphics, Inc.
4141 Jutland Drive #140, San Diego, CA 92117
858-273-5700 (office) 858-273-5747 (Fax)

They are at www.customautotrim.com. It is a Universal Hood Scoop, Model HS005. It was reduced to about $160, reg $200. They painted it for $100. With shipping, I paid $278.85. A good deal for a strong scoop, and a painted to match. Great for the DIY who isn't painting the whole hood. I think the Scoop looks fine, not tacked on, in spite of the seam. I'd like a huge scoop, but this looks plenty impressive from the drivers seat, and does not obstruct the view.

I have a couple other Mods I'll be posting up. Reversed Valves TB Bypass, Hood Pins.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Three additional pics. Exterior view.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
great job, very clean

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
That looks very nice.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
TB, Nice Mod!!

I really like the looks of that grill!! :rofl:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nicely done, thanks for the posts and pics.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
TB, you're a madman! Awesome job on the mods! You looking to give Galen a run in NC? :lol: Keep it up and you just might!

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
DeadRiver said:
nice work TB! i was wondering what you were up too.. you seem to always be tinkering with something... when did you add the hood clips?
Try to keep up, willya? :bangit: He's got a mod thread for that too! And another one for the hood scoop installation.... the man is on a mission!!!! :lol:

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
Try to keep up, willya? :bangit: He's got a mod thread for that too! And another one for the hood scoop installation.... the man is on a mission!!!! :lol:
Wait till they see what we do with yours this weekend!!!! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
bigjimbo said:
Sweet deal. Titanblue, do you guys ever have any meets up here?
You need to check the "Regional Forums" more often....

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/nor...-ups-meet-october-13th-2007-bring-titans.html

There was also a huge meet in Turnersville, NJ last summer. Check in to see when others may be posted.

There's a big meet brewing at Rockngham Dragway next June 14th.... Check out the thread:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/south-eastern-forum/64571-titans-rock-saturday-june-14-2008-a.html

And don't worry. I'm sure TB will be there!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
You need to check the "Regional Forums" more often....

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/nor...-ups-meet-october-13th-2007-bring-titans.html

There was also a huge meet in Turnersville, NJ last summer. Check in to see when others may be posted.

There's a big meet brewing at Rockngham Dragway next June 14th.... Check out the thread:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/south-eastern-forum/64571-titans-rock-saturday-june-14-2008-a.html

And don't worry. I'm sure TB will be there!!!! :cheers:
Ahh, Well I just moved up here a few months ago. Been so busy that I havent been on the forum much since I came up here.

Ill keep an eye out.

·
Premium Member
76,713 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
sorry i've been ignoring my time cards for 3 weeks..the month ends this week which means it's time to give work some much needed attention. stupid work.

i did read at the end about the clips.. see what happens when you post before finishing?

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bigjimbo said:
Sweet deal. Titanblue, do you guys ever have any meets up here?
Check out the Charm City Titans in the Northeast Forums. We're a little dead right now, for winter, but I'm going to try some unusual ideas for mini meets in and around the MD/VA/DE area next year. Super simple, always moving around to different "points of interest" each month. Reaching out to areas that never see a meet of any sort. Just to see what happens, ie. meets at Harpers Ferry, VA or Hagerstown, MD. Gives me something to do on a Saturday. :)

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, much appreciated. I've snagged a 1st place in the huge UPS Show for Race Truck/Car 1973 and up, and another in a local Baltimore show last weekend for Truck-Fullsize.

But there is no catching Galen now, just chasing him is all I can hope for! :jester:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Now that a couple years have passed since the mod... I wonder if the OP's got any numbers for possible performance gains as a result....?

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Hood Scoop Mod is negliable gain I'm sure. I already had a 2-1/2 Tube going from the CAI Box, down towards the frame. So, I haven't really added much more intake ability, but lots of style! First dyno with CAI, TB and 2 degree TA, was 274/324 RWHP/TQ. Second dyno with added tube mentioned, and MagnaFlow Muffler and base 93 Performance Tune, was 308/380 RWHP/TQ. Same dyno used in comparable temp of upper 90's. Have since added 07 Intake Manifold, JBA Headers, and updated tuneing! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts