Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have my first Titan issue that isn't my fault :)

My gas door has a tendency to open slightly - not much, but enough for me to notice that is not flush with the side of the truck. Not sure why it's this way but if I push it closed all the way and drive around a bit, when I get out the door is opened about 1/4" or more.

Is this something I can make a simple adjustment on or should I just take it to the dealer and have them make an adjustment. If it's simple, I'd rather not waste the gas - or I may wait until my first service.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Funny,I was filling up today and thinking the same thing.I guess it has not bugged me enuff to actually stop and figure it out yet.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
gksmith said:
Ok, I have my first Titan issue that isn't my fault :)

My gas door has a tendency to open slightly - not much, but enough for me to notice that is not flush with the side of the truck. Not sure why it's this way but if I push it closed all the way and drive around a bit, when I get out the door is opened about 1/4" or more.

Is this something I can make a simple adjustment on or should I just take it to the dealer and have them make an adjustment. If it's simple, I'd rather not waste the gas - or I may wait until my first service.
Any chance you can take a picture so that people can make recommendations?

The door is held on by two screws and I have washers in mine so I imagine that perhaps something has been been bent out of alignment somehow.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The only time that happened to me was when I had an emmissions inspection performed. They ripped the strap and nylon screw off with the gas cap, then re-installed it. They used the hole on the hinge spring for the screw instead of the hole on the body-to-door bracket. I almost started to align the bracket, but then noticed there was no way the door could close fully with the black screw blocking the hinge.

I HAD to go back and ask him what the ---- he was thinking on that one. It was obvious that something was wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine has the same problem its always open because i'am always putting gas in because i can't keep my foot off the pedal

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The fix is FREE, there are 2 things that i found that keeps my gas door from closing or it will open up when i go down the road.
1. The strap for the gas cap is in the way, by the clip on the body rotate until it clears the door, check every time you full add gas. Pics. 1-2
2. The door was opened up to wide and the spring mount is bent back, use a flat object and insert between the spring and bracket and pry toward the cap. Pics. 2-3
Both methods has worked for me, and no trip to the dealer.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts