Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right, another pesky gas gauge question / problem.

So, I filled the tank last night, I left the gas station with the needle on FULL. I went straight home, which is 1.7 miles away.

This morning, i used my remote starter to start the truck (it's getting cold in New England), it only ran for about 5 minutes before I got out there and into the truck. When I got in, I noticed the fuel gage was just under the 3/4 level. I was pretty shocked but as I drove away the needle started rising. Eventually about about 5-10 minutes later the needle was finally on FULL again.

Now I realise that this is not as serious a problem as a false reading causing you to run out of gas, but does anyone know what causes this to happen?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have had this happen a number of times. It seems to happen when I topped off the tank, which I really shouldn't do.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Yeah - did you top it off or fuel while running?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I filled up this morning and I thought I had topped it off but when I started the truck the needle was noticeably under full. I then drove to class and about 8 hrs later when I left the needle was right at full. Not sure if weather conditions had an impact.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I filled it up and next morning it was slightly above 3/4 mark. I thought someone syphoned it out and was all pissed, even thought about buying a locking gas cap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thats happened to me a few times as well, I filled up this past weekend and it showed 3/4 tank for about 10 minutes then full. Haven't filled the tank in awhile cause of the gas prices so I though maybe the gauge was just in shock from actually being full. lol.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Topping off or filling while running won't make a difference if you know how these guages work. Nissan uses a crappy supplier..period. Why they'd rather keep that supplier and keep replacing the sending units is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i had the same problem but had the dealer swap out the sending unit, fuel pump assembly and everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
You know now that I think about it - on my 08 I have a small 'issue' if you even want to call it that, where if I leave my truck to idle for a while the gas needle will dip but as soon as I start to drive it goes back up to where it supposed to be. I just remembered that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it seems that this is a problem of the sender unit?

I guess I would rather have it showing less fuel than it has, rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Mine does it all the time.. I can fill it up, crank it back up and it will read less than 3/4 of a tank.. Then it will slowly rise.. I have even started it up in the morning to let it warm up and have about a 1/4 tank, and when i come back out to take off, my dam gas light would be on.. But of course it would eventually come back up.. Kinda gets on your nerves a little.....

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'd like to state though on my 08 even if the gauge needle itself shows less than what's in the tank, the computer that gives you how many miles you have left on your tank of gas doesn't go up and down like that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had this problem on a couple of my vehicles (a ford and my Titan). In my case, I found this problem would occur when I filled up at a particular gas station and it would go away after a filling up a couple of times at my regular gas station. Not sure what the root cause was, but I just avoid that gas station as often as I can.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Mine also shows slower when going up, but has never had a problem on the downward slope. LOL

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
hahah - no doubt!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Same here, my gauge only reacts slowly if i fill up with the needle at or below the 1/4 mark, it takes at least 30min. for it to hit full. Here is a new one the last time i had it at the 1/4 mark it only took 13.5 gallons to fill up. I know it should have took at least 17 gallons to be full, guess i should have the sending unit replaced before my ext. warranty runs out.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I noticed about two weeks ago. Filled up at one station near work (after about a 25 minute drive), full read at 3/4 of a tank. When I got to work, it was on the full mark.

Today I noticed it again, this time I happened to fill up at the SAME pump at the SAME station. When I got to work, it was between the 3/4 and full mark, and slowly rising.

Will keep an eye on it-- maybe some of you are right-- it topped itself off at that pump maybe? who knows. If it doesn't do it on another pump I regularly use, I will test it again on this pump and see if it does it a third time...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.