Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning, my gas gauge light came on when I cranked up and stayed on. I was showing 1/8 tank. I drove 5 miles to a station and expected to put $80 in my tank. Well, it stopped on 22 gals and that was it. I drove off and light was out and it took my gauge about 2-3 miles to finally get over the Full mark. What's the deal? Do I guess at when to gas up, or do I have 100 miles left at check gas?:computern

·
Registered
16 Posts
that is funny becasue yesterday when i backed my truck out of the garage i noticed that the light was on and that i was on empty, and i could have sworn that i had a quarter of a tank left. well i shut my truck off and went back inside for a minute and then came back out. when i started the truck the gauge said i had a quarter of a tank. and late that even when i got out of work the gauge was back on empty. so i guess you are not the only one. the crappy part is that i dont even have 4,000 miles on the thing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
actually, my scangauge always tells me that i have about 100 miles left when my light comes on. and i have driven close to 70 after the light lit up. the second half of our tank goes much slower than the first, according to the gauge. so in my opinion, the light comes on very prematurely. cause ive driven a pretty good ways quite a few times after it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our gas gauges are far from accurate. I have filled my truck many times right after the reserve light has come on. On average I have 7-8 gallons left in the tank. The gauge does go down much faster in the first half. I also know that if your truck is parked front end higher then back end (nose up) that your gauge will read higher then if on level ground. This might apply to someone who is parked on a steep driveway. My recommendation is to drive your Titan until your reserve light comes on and then fill your tank up to confirm to yourself how much fuel you have left in the tank. If you know your avg MPG then you will know approx how many more miles you can drive once the reserve light comes on. This gives you a better feeling that you won't have to find a gas station right now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Carrot Top said:
Our gas gauges are far from accurate. I have filled my truck many times right after the reserve light has come on. On average I have 7-8 gallons left in the tank. The gauge does go down much faster in the first half. I also know that if your truck is parked front end higher then back end (nose up) that your gauge will read higher then if on level ground. This might apply to someone who is parked on a steep driveway. My recommendation is to drive your Titan until your reserve light comes on and then fill your tank up to confirm to yourself how much fuel you have left in the tank. If you know your avg MPG then you will know approx how many more miles you can drive once the reserve light comes on. This gives you a better feeling that you won't have to find a gas station right now.
To add I also reset my trip meter after I fill up the tank and average how many miles I go on a tank full.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess it's normal to not work right. The tank must be odd shaped. My last truck had a perfect rectangle shaped tank and it was right on. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
BrokeRecord said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess it's normal to not work right. The tank must be odd shaped. My last truck had a perfect rectangle shaped tank and it was right on. Thanks

Don't think for a minute it's normal had the same problem with my '07. They replaced the gauge and fixxed the problem for about 2000 miles then started having the same issue. I fixed the problem myself and got an '08. Truck always smelled like wires burning when I first started the truck.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Carrot Top said:
Our gas gauges are far from accurate. I have filled my truck many times right after the reserve light has come on. On average I have 7-8 gallons left in the tank.
My theory is that the warning light is set for worse case scenario. if you consider your mileage when towing a big rig, lets say 9mpg, 7 gallons left would give you a 60+ mile range before empty. Most warning lights are set to warn at about 50-60 mile range left. When running unloaded, the warning light would seem premature.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
There is a problem with the gas gage not being accurate on our trucks. Some times after i fill up it will take up to 30 minutes for the gage to read full. I'm going to replace the sending unit next month to fix this annoying problem. I think one member ran out of gas when his gauge read 1/4 tank. It is not the gauge that is bad it is the sending unit in the tank, if your still under waranty have the sending unit replaced

1 - 10 of 10 Posts