Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a Titan but not for sure if I want the off road pkg. and tow pkg. I was wondering if anyone had any data on the gas mileage difference between the 2.94 and 3.36 gears if there is any gas milage difference?

·
Registered
823 Posts
well I suppose we can all do an update to help you out.

3.36, CC 2 wheel drive - averaging almost 17 with all types of driving, mostly fast and furious. :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
2.94 vs. 3.36? 3.36!

i would get the "3.36" with the Off-Road (with the sweet 285/70/17 phat tires & the stout underbelly armor plates -really cool and necessary for off-oading), but the current Titan does NOT yet have the e-locking differential in the rear axle.

spend a few extra dough on the RF bench (6 seater) or FR Captain (5 seater) and the Side Air Bags.

most other people (with the 3.36) on talk boards have said to have gotten 14~15+ mpg overall (i'm so jealous! :crying: ), but the Car and Driver magazine people wrote that they got around 12 mpg observed; another magazine testers got around 13.5 mpg observed around Los Angelas, CA; and i've been getting crummy 11~12 mpg overall, 15 mpg on highway to South Lake Tahoe and about 9 mpg or less in stop-'n-go city & hill traffic :huh: .

In April (rumored) the e-locking differential in the rear axle maybe available for the maximum off-road, winter roads, and tow capability...cause you can buy more gas, but you cannot buy more power. :gunz:

·
Registered
80 Posts
It really seems odd that some guys are getting such low MPG figures, regardless of final drive ratios. I got the 3.36 as part of the Big Tow but the trans cooler was the selling feature there. Even so, I took my first road trip, burned a whole tank, with the wife, kids and gear, through some nasty traffic in LA and still got 16.8 MPG. Around town I get 13-14, pretty darned good compared to the GM's I had been driving. The low figures by some is puzzling to be sure. I can't imagine more than a 10% increase with the higher final drive ratio. So I think in the end, equip the truck with the things you need; if it is towing, wheeling, or freeway running. Any way you look at it once you have the thing your foot is gonna be the controlling factor, darn hard to cruise around in the Titan. You just can't keep your foot out of it. Fun.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree, I am getting a much better MPG with the titan than my last truck. I have a little competition with myself some mornings. Can I drive to work not letting the RPM go over 2K.

Try it for a tank, you will be amazed with the result.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
LOL Drive a Titan under 2k RPM? hehehe Hard to do lil ol lead footer I am. But, I am not tearing her totally up either. Call it 'mid range' driving at this point and we are averaging just over 15.7MPG right now after 1800 miles. Ours has the Big Tow and the Off Road Pkg.

Chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mtang95302 said:
I am looking into buying a Titan but not for sure if I want the off road pkg. and tow pkg. I was wondering if anyone had any data on the gas mileage difference between the 2.94 and 3.36 gears if there is any gas milage difference?
I'm not ordering the big tow or the off road options because I don't like the ratio change you're obligated to with those packages. I won't be off roading and the truck is already strong enough to tow anything I can imagine for our household. I prefer the feel of the the drive without the ratio change. To me it seems smoother and more car-like...which is just what this city-boy wants. Logically, it should get a LITTLE better mileage as well. However, I've driven them both and the ride is the kicker for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yo Plucky,

I've seen some of your other posts regarding your terrible gas mileage. Have there been any intelligent suggestions regarding what's going on? I highly doubt you're getting that just through aggressive driving - something else MUST be going on. Maybe something along the lines of the O2 sensor comments?

J

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have the $X$ (intended) and used it in 4WD during the ice and snow the beginning of this week. Ended up getting 14.8 mpg with some of it in 4WDL pulling out another truck. On the average, and not that I have made the first oil change yet I have been getting about 15 mpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a BTTT, I'm looking at getting a 4x2 Titan King Cab SE this April. I'm curious whether there is a significant gas mileage difference between the 2.94 and 3.36 gears... I have a feeling I'll wind up getting the Big Tow package specically for the 3.36 gears.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm getting between 14.5 and 15.5 40hwy/60city. Have yet to take any long trips. Some day I'll hit the magical 16mpg. I am extremely happy with my millage compared to my brothers dodge and my buddies chevy I'm about 3-4 mpg ahead.

·
Banned
3,871 Posts
L.O. Little said:
Just a BTTT, I'm looking at getting a 4x2 Titan King Cab SE this April. I'm curious whether there is a significant gas mileage difference between the 2.94 and 3.36 gears... I have a feeling I'll wind up getting the Big Tow package specically for the 3.36 gears.
If you drive a lot on the highway the 3.36 geared truck pulls 300 to 400 more RPM's at 70 mph.
If you mostly drive around town you won't notice a difference.

Just remember the faster you drive the more RPM's = more fuel.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I have a CC 4x4 SE with the Big Tow rear end.

In mixed city driving, with 1300 miles on the Odometer, I'm averaging 15.5 mpg. On mostly (but not strictly) highway, I'm averaging almost 17 (16.8). This is in the mountains, also. I would expect to see something close to 20 if I was driving on flat roads; I rented an Armada to go up North with and averaged over 20mpg all the way, both going up and coming back, all highway.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Wow! That is incredible milage for any Titan, especially with the lower gears.
My very light Titan peaked at 20, saw it on one tank only. Average about 17 with 50/50 and a lead foot.

The answer you are looking for, and most should agree, your milage will decrease with the BT gears by about 1mpg, maybe as dramatic as 2mpg.

Bottom line, if you tow a heavy trailer regularly, get the BT pkg.
If you tow occasionally and drive the truck alot you will appreciate the better fuel economy with the regular gears.

I regularly tow our Jeep Wrangler loaded to the roof with Cargo and about 1200-1500 lbs in the bed (desert trips) about twice a month. Total weight behind the truck might be 4500 lbs. and payload in the bed w/passengers about 1700.

I have the standard gears and it tows just fine.
If I had a 6000lb trailer, I would NEED the BT gears for the hill climbs. Sometimes the truck drops into 3rd (I drive in 4th towing, as per the manual) up steeper inclines, and that gets annoying when its hunting for gears. For my light towing use, the regular gears are great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts