Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove back from Greenville, SC to Pittsburgh yesterday. Started at @1150 and reached Pitt @2110; total of ~541 miles. Zeroed the odometer and reset MPG prior to starting. Stopped for lunch at Statesville, NC (@35 min stop, just of off I-77/I-40) and filled gas at Fayetteville, WV on route 19 (@12 min stop). Though numbers are Titan computed, I have not had any meaningful differences between the Titan and hand calculated results. Numbers are as follows:

1. Overall gas mileage 20.4 MPG
2. Lunch stop, @139 miles from start, 21.1 MPG
3. Gas stop, @322 miles from start, 20.6 MPG overall
4. Home, ~541 miles, 20.4 overall; segment from WV gas stop to home @19.9 MPG

Route was interior roads (~7 miles) to I-85; I-485 (Charlotte bypass); I-77; US-19; I-79, so all HWYs. Speeds were from 70 to 75 mostly, with occasional construction zone slowdowns and the 50 to 65 MPH on US-19. Took a hit on mileage when effortlessly climbing the 12 miles or so stretch upon reaching VA on I-77, at @77 to 80 MPH. Overall, very impressed. One admission, I used premium fuel for the trip. My updated MPG now sits at 21.1.

Ready for another oil change now; @5400 miles since the previous change. The engine oil appears hardly changed (a tad more golden) in color upon a qualitative visual inspection on a paper napkin, from the dipstick. Will go again with a 50/50 mix of Rotella Gas truck 0W-20 and 5W-30. Truck sits at @11.5K miles presently and still keeping my fingers crossed about potential engine issues. So far, so good!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Drove back from Greenville, SC to Pittsburgh yesterday. Started at @1150 and reached Pitt @2110; total of ~541 miles. Zeroed the odometer and reset MPG prior to starting. Stopped for lunch at Statesville, NC (@35 min stop, just of off I-77/I-40) and filled gas at Fayetteville, WV on route 19 (@12 min stop). Though numbers are Titan computed, I have not had any meaningful differences between the Titan and hand calculated results. Numbers are as follows:

1. Overall gas mileage 20.4 MPG
2. Lunch stop, @139 miles from start, 21.1 MPG
3. Gas stop, @322 miles from start, 20.6 MPG overall
4. Home, ~541 miles, 20.4 overall; segment from WV gas stop to home @19.9 MPG

Route was interior roads (~7 miles) to I-85; I-485 (Charlotte bypass); I-77; US-19; I-79, so all HWYs. Speeds were from 70 to 75 mostly, with occasional construction zone slowdowns and the 50 to 65 MPH on US-19. Took a hit on mileage when effortlessly climbing the 12 miles or so stretch upon reaching VA on I-77, at @77 to 80 MPH. Overall, very impressed. One admission, I used premium fuel for the trip. My updated MPG now sits at 21.1.

Ready for another oil change now; @5400 miles since the previous change. The engine oil appears hardly changed (a tad more golden) in color upon a qualitative visual inspection on a paper napkin, from the dipstick. Will go again with a 50/50 mix of Rotella Gas truck 0W-20 and 5W-30. Truck sits at @11.5K miles presently and still keeping my fingers crossed about potential engine issues. So far, so good!
Damn man I'm at 11k with only 6 months into my 19’.. My mpgs combined dropped to 17.8 since it got cold and been using remote start...

I miss the 19.5 combined I was getting on the 17’... Well maybe a little bit...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 17.8 combined is excellent. Over @4K+ miles in Greenville, with a one-way initial trip down and one round trip to Pitt and back in September included, I was at an average of 16.7.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normally, I am not as disciplined as I was yesterday. Even endured someone sticking out his middle finger at me on I-79 in the Morgantown segment. So the 20.4 over ~540 miles on the HWY is quite impressive for a P4X rated at 20 HWY.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I always seem to be going into a headwind or crosswind on my long trips, but every now and then I'll get lucky and get at or above the EPA rating. My current average per fuelly is 15.8 mpg with 56% city driving. It's definitely gone down in the last few thousand miles but it's because I'm doing less highway driving and more towing. My last fillup was 12.7 mpg - ouch!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 Titan SV ... we averaged 24.5 mpg on our summer cross country trip this past summer, just over 8k miles total. Not a whole lot of interstate driving, mostly state highways & county roads. This includes some mountain driving (Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and such).

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
I did 22.8 on a trip from NJ to Atlanta, I’ve had many similar numbers as well. The 0-20 is used to help us achieve those numbers as well as other brands. I don’t understand the value in mixing weights, talk to a real engine guy or builder and bet it’s overall more harmful than not but you’re welcome to do as you wish. I believe it provides worse lubrication overall and may attribute to other problems.
Clint

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, here are the technical data sheets from Shell. Each grade clearly states that the Rotella Gas Truck oil is miscible, including with mineral oils. I trust when Shell states it themselves. I would not mix different brands, even different types/model lines, but the same line of oils, I see no problems. Do you have any technical basis for stating otherwise? As I said previously, my seat of the pants calculations yields a net grade of 2.5W-25 when I mix 50/50 of 0W-20 and 5W-30 Rotella Gas Truck oils, i.e same line of oils. I am not worried about it. I hope SOPUS comes out with a 0W-30; they used to have one previously, and they have recently announced the Max Power, but it is not widely available at this time and is quite pricey.

Separately, the Rotella Gas Truck oil is exceptional.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
I don’t understand why you’re mixing it. Yes, Rotella makes great oils, most diesel guys swear by it. Nissan started in my house using 0-20 in 2014 when I bought the Sentra, service said it’s a must use, not a suggestion. My 2016 Jeep Wrangler uses 5-20 and at 52,000 miles no issues. My Titan is at 36,000 miles in 17 months and zero issues as well. My 2018 Rogue is at 18,000 miles and it too runs like a top.
so I’m going by four of my vehicles all running perfectly smooth and quiet without any lubrication problems to base my personal thoughts.
I’m not criticizing you, I’m just asking what’s the upside to doing it. I’d like to get an
engine builders take on it.

Clint

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its just personal preference, and playing around within my self imposed restrictive boundaries. In other words I see no down side with this little manipulation/mixing of the oils. Note, that Nissan recommends a multitude of grades for the same VK56VD motor elsewhere. So with all this in my head, I see no down side. My position does not at all reflect that 0W-20 is not suitable, I am just deviating a tad from the norm here. Technically, there is no chemical incompatibility, I know that for a fact.

Now, I have a 2017 OB (my wife's DD) and use 0W-20 Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum exclusively. Note that the FB25 engine in the Subie also specs a multitude of different grades outside the US, but will stick with 0W-20 for this one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
2018 Titan SV ... we averaged 24.5 mpg on our summer cross country trip this past summer, just over 8k miles total. Not a whole lot of interstate driving, mostly state highways & county roads. This includes some mountain driving (Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and such).
I've never gotten that high. But I have got 22.5+ on long trips. My cousin's 5.3 liter Chevy Silverado never gets even 20 according to him and he jokes that mine is a hybrid engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've never calculated my fuel economy by hand, only looked at what the computer says but in my 2017 PR 4x4 but I've never seen better than 20 MPG and that was only when driving around in the central US (high elevation 4500-5500 feet) and no it wasn't due to going downhill. Usually the best I can ever manage to get out of my truck is almost 18 mpg (17.8 or so) back home on the west coast (~800 feet above sea level)

Maybe some of that will change after I get her back from the short block replacement (still in the shop 1 full week later, waiting on a callback from the dealer with an update now), fingers crossed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My stock 2019 Pro4x just turned 7000 miles last week. I keep up with my fill-ups on the fuelly app and my dash readout is almost always 1-1.5 mpg "happy."

My truck seems to get an average of 13.5 - 14 (fuelly calculated) with 50/50 highway city and shows 14.5-15.5 on dash.

I did get 17.3 (fuelly calculated) round trip on a 1400 mile trip all interstate but the dash readout showed 18.7.

I'm not happy with the mpg but I'm not surprised, the Titan is notorious for bad mpg.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Now, I have a 2017 OB (my wife's DD) and use 0W-20 Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum exclusively. Note that the FB25 engine in the Subie also specs a multitude of different grades outside the US, but will stick with 0W-20 for this one.
The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has recently become my go to oil. But the price on 0W-20 has proven to be more unpredictable than the stock market. With general price hovering around 42.00 and higher. Thus far I've been able to score a couple of "flash" sales and buy for as little as 20.00 a 5 quart jug....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts