Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been getting pretty bad mileage lately, probably due to cheaper winter gas etc. I think I have been gettin around 10-11 MPG (worse than usual) but I have not calculated it recently because it is too depressing and there is nothign I can do about it. I'm always in a hurry and generaly drive 75-80 to save time when possible and keep up with the faster lanes of traffic. Plus thats what most of the traffic is doing around me.

However recently I thought I would start driving slower and see how much better the mileage would be.

I'm simply amazed how much better the gas mileage is getting now! I don't have a number yet, but next fill up I'm going to calculate it again. I do wonder if it cause I used chevron gas the last time around instead of my Vons Discount Station, but I'm pretty srue its mostly from slowing down a little. I think I'm probably getting around 15-16mpg now just by slowing down. Sure it adds about 5-10 minutes to my commute but I think by the end of the month I will be saving about $200 in gas (Gas bills are around $600-$800 a month for me, which is up to double my truck payment).

Anyways I think I get the best mileage around 60MPH but thats too slow unless theres traffic or someone slow I can follow (so as not be the cause of slow traffic hah) but I think for $200 saving a month (maybe) I'll just drive like a granny. Sticking with 65MPH (about 1500-1800RPM) other commuters can't complane too much anyways.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Tach needle is everything on a vehicle that weighs as much as a Titan.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Try using cruise control at closer to 55 MPH. That'll get you even better mileage. Just stay in the far right lane and cruise with the slow pokes.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Try using cruise control at closer to 55 MPH. That'll get you even better mileage. Just stay in the far right lane and cruise with the slow pokes.
I can only use cruise late nights, too much traffic in LA area unfortunately, but if I could shave $200-300 off my gas bill every month that would be a huge savings for me, not that I'll ever be able to afford a house here anyways, but still $300 is alot of beer money :) I'll try the 55 thing one of these trips to San Diego, goign to add about an 45 min to an hour on my typical drive, but if your right it would save me almost $30 for the trip so it might just be worth it :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are totally right about speed. When the raised the speed limts from 55-65/75 about 10 years ago gas consumption went way up. I lost about 10 percent and that was in a jeep. These trucks take alot more to push than some SUV.

I realize this isn't exactly the same but my dad works for a trucking company. They put governers on their trucks for 62mph. They did a study of costs associated with raising it to 65. On trips from Chicago to LA they would save a couple hours...maybe. Cost increase was in the 8 figure dollar range. Needless to say, they stuck with the 62mph range.

·
Registered
418 Posts
very true!!! i get about 16-17mpg goin 60 and about 18-19mpg goin 55. but granted, i dont have to travel the interstate or worry about keepin up with traffic whether im goin to school or work, so i dont have to worry about that. keeping the decrease in speed is a lot harder than you think!!!! our truck was made to go fast, and its hard to keep it from doin that.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Yep you would be amazed i was getting 13mpg doing 80. i drive 45 minutes one way to school every morning. I started doing 70 behind 18wheelers and get close to 17mpg now. This is feeling up at the same no name gas station ever time. Its amazing how much difference it makes.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
yamatitan said:
Yep you would be amazed i was getting 13mpg doing 80. i drive 45 minutes one way to school every morning. I started doing 70 behind 18wheelers and get close to 17mpg now. This is feeling up at the same no name gas station ever time. Its amazing how much difference it makes.
Who were you feeling up at the gas station? LMAO! Is that legal down there?:eek2:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Who were you feeling up at the gas station? LMAO! Is that legal down there?:eek2:
lol brain fart that would be filling up not feeling. lol doh

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Damn it! I was up for a road trip!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

HudsonValleyTitan said:
This is about the only way to make a Titan somewhat affordable to drive. It does work...and depending on the volume of traffic, it doesn't take any longer to get where you are going. It works well with my daily driving habits.:dunno:

·
Registered
49 Posts
i guess this means i need to slow down cause i have been doing 80 and just check my milage and only got 9.4 mpg!!!!!! this is awful.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Also keep your tires aired up to manufacturer specs. If it says 44psi cold make sure you have 44psi cold in the morning not when hot after a highway cruise, alot of people dont really care about tire pressure, i see numerous people drive with very low tire pressure hurting their gas mileage. Just my $0.02 . :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
yamatitan said:
I started doing 70 behind 18wheelers and get close to 17mpg now. This is feeling up at the same no name gas station ever time. Its amazing how much difference it makes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_5)#Drafting_For_Money
Reminds me of the mythbusters. Drafting is a good idea, but might net you a ticket for tailgating.

About 10 foot behind a rig at a constant speed = 39% increased fuel efficiency... + or - 10 % :)

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Also remember a lot of our nations gas stations are using ethanol blend gas. This decreases gas mileage by 2-3 mpg. Couple that with speeds up to 80 mph and now you have a double wammy against your gas mileage.

Use non ethanol blended gas and keep the tach below 2k and your speed at 60 mph and you can achieve 19mpg. At least I have anyway. And thats with a 4x4 CC with Big Tow.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
PRJ said:
Also remember a lot of our nations gas stations are using ethanol blend gas. This decreases gas mileage by 2-3 mpg. Couple that with speeds up to 80 mph and now you have a double wammy against your gas mileage.

Use non ethanol blended gas and keep the tach below 2k and your speed at 60 mph and you can achieve 19mpg. At least I have anyway. And thats with a 4x4 CC with Big Tow.
What brands don't mix these days?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts