Nissan Titan Forum banner

Gas Mileage & Tranny “E” Update Comments

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  admire 
#1 ·
I figured I would start a new thread since my comment is geared towards my mpg more than the tranny issues people are having.
A little about my story-
I bought a brand new 2017 Titan SV 4x4 in Dec. 2017. It has a build date of 4/2017. My truck now has about 3,000 miles on it.
It’s a gasser non XD. I have the 20” factory tires that came with the truck on 20x9.5” aftermarket rims.
I don’t do any hauling. I drive mainly in town-stop and go traffic is moderate to light. I usually drive about 8-10 miles one way and then back. Sometimes, I will drive about 30 miles in one day, but all in town travel.
Currently, I have had the “E” update done because I was having the tranny shifting issues. After the update, the truck is shifting better but not all issues are gone IMO with the shifting. It’s very slight and hardly noticeable to other people who drive the truck. The truck still has a slight lag when you press on the pedal at lower speeds, I feel a slight surge in the tranny when traveling between 20-45 mpg. The dealer’s mechanic drove the truck and didn’t feel exactly what I was feeling. He did say he thought he noticed something but wasn’t sure ?
I don’t let my truck idle long so that’s not causing my issue with my mpg’s.
I am currently getting about 10.5-11.5 mpg using 87 octane during my in town driving. My wife has driven the truck and she would average about 11.5-13 mpg in town. The temperatures around here in Northern CA have been in the 60’s for highs and 40’s for the lows.
I have taken my truck out on the interstate for some long stretches at 70-75 mph, I have averaged around 20-23 mpg once and 18-20 another time. The lower of the two was because I think I was facing a strong headwind. I used cruise control and didn’t notice better mileage when doing so.
The dealer says the truck is within all of the perimeters, however I still feel like something is causing my in town mpg’s to suffer. I get at the or better than advertised mpg’s on the highway, but I am getting way below the advertised mpg for in town. On the highway my tranny doesn’t need to shift because I would assume it’s in the highest gear?

Any thoughts? I feel like because of some tranny issue, that’s why I am seeing such low mpg’s in town? The dealer gave me the Nissan Corporate number to call and speak with an engineer. I reset my mileage right before I brought my truck into service, so the dealer said they couldn’t check my driving history. I am going to drive it a round for a month and then bring it in so they can check my driving history. I am not expecting Prius type numbers, but somewhere around 15 mpg in town would be nice. I have spoken to several other 2017-2018 Titan owners and that’s about what they are getting when comparing apples to apples as much as you can. I really would like to get this figured out soon since gas here is about $3.45 a gallon and rising. I own a 2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0 diesel and I get about 13.5 in town and about 18-20 on the highway and this vehicle weighs about 8-9,000 pounds.

I know it’s a truck and I cant expect great mpg, but I really would like to get close to what others are getting.
Any insight or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most MPG losses are realized at throttle tip in.
Adjust your method of getting the wheels turning. These trucks are HEAVY suckers. Keeping the wheels turning or not really counts when it comes to MPG.

Reactions: Titan332009
#3 ·
11.5-13 MPG for in-town driving doesn't seem that unreasonable. Your highway MPG seems very good.

I do mostly highway driving and am getting an average 16.5 MPG (with the "e" reflash).

Reactions: Titan332009
#6 ·
I'll chime in here as well but I'm averaging about 13 mpg since I got my 17, all hand calculated. I've gotten as good as 16.59mpg when I first got it and as low as 13.65mpg but most of my calculations are in the 13s and 14s. I drive relatively decent because I do try to get as good of gas mileage as I can but if I drove how I wanted I'd easily be pushing 11/12 I bet. If anything, my MPG have consistently gone down since the E update but I'm pretty happy with the truck and the E update.

#7 ·
17 CC 2WD S model, 5200 miles since May.

Southern California, ~200ft elevation,
Daily temps Summer 80s to 120s Winter 40s-80s.

lots of in-town driving, stop and go, low speed 10-15mph driving, and sitting idling.
10 mile daily commute with probably 10 stops and 45-50mph for the longer portion of it.

Averaging around 13-13.5MPG

#8 ·
Re: Gas Mileage & Tranny “E” Update Comments

17" Titan SL Crew with E update done.

I am getting around 15 mpg in town and with a reset on the hwy I am averaging about 20 mpg.

4800ft elevation, Grand Junction, CO.
Temps have been in the 60's.

The transmission has its good and bad days. Some days it doesn't hesitate or lag at all and I think the gremlins are gone, other days any incline it dogs for a second or two until I floor it.

#9 ·
17" Titan SL Crew with E update done.

I am getting around 15 mpg in town and with a reset on the hwy I am averaging about 20 mpg.

4800ft elevation, Grand Junction, CO.
Temps have been in the 60's.

The transmission has its good and bad days. Some days it doesn't hesitate or lag at all and I think the gremlins are gone, other days any incline it dogs for a second or two until I floor it.

I wish my mileage was as good as yours ? Currently, I have 13.4 on my display for my mpg.
I have about 3900 miles on my Titan and about 1,500 miles since they did the “E” update to the tranny.
I did some highway cruising so that bumped it up some, but when I started my in town driving again, I watched the display drop. My highway mpg is actually pretty decent at 19.5 - 23 mpg.

My tranny is doing the same exact thing as yours is doing. I have a lot more good days than bad days with it, so it’s tolerable.

#10 ·
Thank you for giving good recommendation about "E" Tranny upgrade, everyone.
When I drove my truck, I felt some deep vibration when 3rd and 4th gear shifted, especially when I drove slowly. But this phenomena happened when engine and transmission fluid is cold. After driving around one hour, this symptom is gone. so, I thought this might be fixed or might be better if I get "E" version tranny update, so, I also went to a dealership to update program in my new truck, 2017 TITAN Platinum reserve. But,,,, they said they couldn't update program E version because they couldn't find ECM and TCM part numbers in the service bulletin (I brought that bulletin I got from in the forum, and showed them and they compared my car's part numbers and the paper. But they couldn't find my car's part numbers in the paper unfortunately)
If they cannot find the part numbers in the bulletin, can't they upgrade program? I had to leave with my car with nothing.. If anyone has some good advice, could you help me?
Thank you in advance.

#11 ·
Re: Gas Mileage & Tranny “E” Update Comments

What was your build date? Open drivers door and look at label if you don't know.

Transmissions should work when cold. They did release different updates depending on build dates of the truck so there may be some validity to their statement. That being said if you don't like the answer your getting go to a different dealer or call Nissan to get your truck acting right. Don't be less than satisfied with anything you pay for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.