Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah another nother gas mileage thread muhahaha, you shouldn't have opened to look at the post..... So here is my complaint of the day. I've lent my truck to my brother and sister n law in the past and they say they love the truck hate the gas mileage and I always defend and saying it's a truck..... We'll I pretty much do all highway driving since I've owned the truck. I filled up today approx. 19.4 gals of gas and yielded 195 miles with all city driving..... WOW, really 10 MPG no towing, nothing out of the ordinary except city driving. I have an 07 4X4 with 325/60/18 toyo's and the icon/dr front stuts to level out the truck. I do have a couple of amps and speakers in the truck, but everything else is all stock from the intake, exhaust and tuning. This sucks, normally I get an average of 13.5 mpg, makes me feel soooo much better.....:bangit: We'll that's it, maybe I'll trade it in for a Prius :crying: Not, but I am considering something else. I'm just thinking I'll miss the truck going to a car. My truck is only 2" from stock 4X4, but I enjoy the ride and how tall it is, especially compared to my wifes G35. I do drive approx. 30-35K miles a year with 20K being in the truck. I'm thinking how much can I get for it and what could I buy that I'd like with better mileage and how can I recoupe my 15K in extras I put in it??? Oh well something to sleep on.......

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well, you will probably never make that money back by selling this truck and getting something more efficient. For arguments sake, lets say you are using about 2500 gallons of gas a year in your truck (14 MPG over 35000 miles, 7500 dollars at 3$ per gallon). Double that to 28 MPG, and you are still spending 3750 in gas (saving 3750 per year). But, what amount of money do you loose leaving the truck, and will you keep the other car long enough to recoup those costs? 3750 per year time X years = money lost from trading the truck.

I thought about doing this as well. Since my truck is not paid off yet, I would loose a ton of money, even in the long run, by trading the truck. I only drive about 20000 miles per year though, so my fuel saving are not as good as yours would be. So, my solution was to find a cheap 1500 car that will last a couple of years, and drive it to work saving the mileage and wear and tear on the truck. Haven't found that car yet ;) but still looking.

Reactions: ThomasTitan2008

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
My thought exactly, buy what I like to call a beater. Cheap, great gas mileage, hardly ever needs washed. Just gas, change the oil and go. When your ego needs a boost, because your cars a p#ssy, break out the beast.

·
Registered
637 Posts
A. They borrow your truck because they have nothing that big. This means they are use to small cars, small weight, small capacity and small horsepower.
B. I'll bet the power goes to their head and they like to romp on the gas.
C. While at the bottom of the range, your truck is still in spec with what the EPA posts on the window on the lot.
D. Try driving it in the same conditions they do and see if it gets the same.
E. SSDD
1. Properly Inflate Tires
2. Change to synthetic fluids
3. Put in a KNN Drop in or CAI
4. Seafoam the gas and plenum
5. Wash and wax the truck
6. Put it on a diet - dump all unnecessary junk.
7. Try Hypermiling
Hypermiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
8. See if you can get a 2 degree spark advance.
9. Make sure you are using the right octane for your engine.
Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HowStuffWorks "What does octane mean?"
Nissan Xterra Forum: Xterra Forums - View Single Post - fuel octane dumb question
10. If you really want to spend some money to save some money you can put in a high flow exhaust and a Bully Dog Power Pup and tune it down to be more efficient.

Warning... If you get to level 10 it will be incredibly hard to keep your foot out of it. You will probably get worse mileage but for every mpg drop your smile gets exponentially bigger. ;-)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm averaging 13.8-14.2 city.... I'm satisfied with that for a big truck that can pull nearly 10,000 lbs.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I get 12-14 City depending on season and how much I romp on it, Most cars only get low twenties in the city some less, so unless you get a Prius type car you won't really save that much at least enough to be worth it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just to clarify my truck is a 4x2 with the standard 2.94 gears with stock-sized Michelin Cross-Terrain SUV tires (265/70/18). They're basically a street tire for a big truck/suv. Once you start the lifts, big off-road treaded tires, big-tow gears etc. etc. it all goes to ****.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just to clarify my truck is a 4x2 with the standard 2.94 gears with stock-sized Michelin Cross-Terrain SUV tires (265/70/18). They're basically a street tire for a big truck/suv. Once you start the lifts, big off-road treaded tires, big-tow gears etc. etc. it all goes to ****.
I am 4x4, but otherwise stock. You can see and track my mileage in my sig. Yes, some other manufacturers get better mileage, but not so good that it would have made up the difference in cost between what I paid for the Titan, and what they were wanting for a Ford or GMC with the same options.

I normally get about 13.8-14.2 in the city, and about 17.5 on long highway trips. Y'all don't want to know what my old Titan got. Most wouldn't believe me, the rest would be mad!

Reactions: ttammunek04

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I get between 12 and 14 MPG. I'm rarely on the HWy unless towing. You can try all that garbage about synthetics, intakes etc....all BS. You'll gain bupkis...lol! Get yourself a beater that gets good mileage and use that to commute. I have an 01 Beetle. Not the manliest choice but it's a 5 spd w/heated leather and gets 30-35 MPG.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I actually just came from the Gas station and i figure out i was getting 8mpg, then i checked my air filter (dirty as hell), and my tire pressures (30 psi low :teeth:).

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I actually just came from the Gas station and i figure out i was getting 8mpg, then i checked my air filter (dirty as hell), and my tire pressures (30 psi low :teeth:).
There's a great test! Let us know if you MPG goes up with a clean filter and properly filled tires. We can probably assume it will go up but lets see by just how much....let us know if you don't mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
There's a great test! Let us know if you MPG goes up with a clean filter and properly filled tires. We can probably assume it will go up but lets see by just how much....let us know if you don't mind. Thanks!
Well im actually just gunna go buy a new air filter from the local shop, so ill let you know what changes!

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Dump the lift and big tires. That will help MPG. The 2 degree timing advance brought my MPG down, even when I wasn't trying to peel out at every stoplight.

I get better gas mileage using the Uprev 89 octane performance map than the economy map. Beats me why. In the summer I can get as much as 22 MPG with gas bought outside the Denver/front range area.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree the gas mileage sucks in these trucks. Well trucks in general. I talked to my brother in law over Christmas who has a '10 Ram with MDS and the best I can figure I'm getting only slightly worse mileage than he does.

I've thought about getting a beater but honestly I'll spend $50 a month to insure it so really what am I saving $40? To me it's not worth the hassle for $40 and plugging up my driveway. I bought a truck to have a truck and I've looked at the mileage of smaller trucks like the Tacoma and Frontier and as far as I can tell it's like 1 - 2 tanks less a year. Again not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I could never forgive myself if I got a beater. I'd give up cable TV first.

dman1458, your correct. I just traded an '05 Frontier for my '10 Titan and went from 16.7MPG to 13.7MPG mixed city/highway daily. Did the math, I'm losing $60 a month I think (at current price levels)? But damn, its worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Id love to get more mpg's out of the T but with 295-70's and an Injen CAI, I cant expect much, the best I can get is 15.3 with the wind pushin at my tailgate. Other than that I cant keep my foot out of it, so the best way to deal with the fuel consumtion is to put a couple of fifties inside the truck somewhere and when she hits half a tank just stop at the gas station. My buddy bought a 2010 F150 that will do 500 miles on a tank but doesnt have the power and the whole truck just feels numb and doesnt give the same feeling that my T does, HATE the gas mileage but I will live with it because I LOVE my TITAN. :redblob"

1 - 20 of 96 Posts