Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a 2006 titan and took it on a little trip. My gas mileage for the highway was 13 mpg. Not to happy with that at all. I know the city rates as 13 and highway 17 or so but is this just normal? if not what can i do.

Also when i let of the gas pedal to let the truck coast it feels like the brakes are being applied. Any thoughts on that.

thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you have any mods; ie lift or bigger tires on your truck? what kind of gas do you use? when was the last time you had a tune up? Have you checked for cracked exhaust manifolds? There are tons of factors that could contribute to poor mileage and we need a little more info to pinpoint your issue.
I have an 05 2wd and a very heavy foot and I get consistently 15+ city and 17-18 hwy. And that is with avg 10 minute warm ups lately which aren't reflected on the odometer but in the tank; not much mind you but enough to affect numbers.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Agreed, we need more info. Also if it's a big tow or not. Gearing will affect your mileage as well as speed. Lift, bigger tires, not properly inflated tires, extra weight in the truck, highway but through hills? All kinds of stuff. If it feels like it's not coasting freely, check your brakes etc. I just had to replace my caliper because it was locking up on my rotor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just filled up last night and did the math...............7.76 mpg.

Granted it was all city driving but I was expecting better than that from a brand new 2011 Pro4-X.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts

Granted it was all city driving but I was expecting better than that from a brand new 2011 Pro4-X.
Wow, now that's bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok my truck has standard tires and like I said I have a tow mode button in my truck. I am still trying to figure this beast out.I am taking it back to have them check it out so besides looking for a cracked manifold and checking out my brakes is there anything else I should mention to them.

My truck looks like the one tights24 has. Again I love this truck but the gas mileage sucks. Its like having a blond bombshell on your have that's dumber then a box of rocks.

Thanks for you help guys

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
All Titan's have the tow button. If you have a 2006, the easiest way to tell is if you have a transmission gauge in your cluster. I don't think they are standard on 04-07 Titans without the BT package. Also, do you have the two arm mirrors that extend? Another indicator, but not a sure "tell". In your instrument cluster you should have battery, water temp, and with big tow you will have trans temp. I think it's buried in the speedo portion.

13mpg's is not that great unless your highway trip was at 80mph. You can also tell me your rpm's at 75mph. I think my truck is right around 1700-1800 when cruising at 75. Typically my best mileage comes around 70mph.

As for the poster with 7.78 in the city, something is wrong. There's no way it should be that low. I think I could absolutely floor my truck everytime I left from a stop up to 40-50mph and not get that bad with a tank. If you're in the city, and don't park in a garage, I would start with a locking gas cap..... After that, I would take it to the dealer and tell them you want another truck. lolol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my truck 2 months ago and I consistently get 11 mpg highway driving at 70-75 mph max. Its a 05' titan se king cab 4wd and has the trans temp and tow mirrors so it must have the big tow package. Its stock suspension stock tires 265/65/18. I was getting 10 mpg and then I did the 2* timing advance and bumped it up one mpg. I'm running 89 octane. It sucks driving 72 miles round trip each day and burning that kind of fuel. The dealer I deal with is a pain in the butt cause they never want to help. I had them replace the passenger side header/cat and o2 sensor. Any info on this problem would be great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, i too have the big tow package because i do have an extra temp guage which i have been trying to confirm if it was for the transmission or not, also have the mirrors you described. I checked my truck and i have p285/70/r17 on my truck. on my trip back i dropped the tailgate and set the cruse for 70 mph and still only got around 12.8 mpg. with the snow we are having i wont be able to check the rpm's for a couple of days but i believe i remember looking at the rpm's when i was traveling the other day at 70 mph and it was reading around 2000. I am taking it back to the dealer this week for them to look at it so i am trying to get a list together for them to check.

From what i continue to read there is not a lot of people getting that great of gas mileage on any of them but this truck is a beast and awesome looking.

i told my wife its like having a blond bombshell on your arm, she sure looks good but is dumber then a box of rocks and wont get your very far.

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
I'm told that you can get an extra 60-70 miles per tank just by filling up at Shell.

·
Registered
48 Posts
UPDATE: Just made an hour and a half trip with about 95% of the miles as highway miles. Filled up the tank and did the math again...............10.99 mpg.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
somethings wrong buddy, I've got 35" tires and get 13mpg highway. My wifes 2wd 04' gets 21mpg on the highway! Check your air filter and plugs. I've replaced 2 brake calipers now, both had froze up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
somethings wrong buddy, I've got 35" tires and get 13mpg highway. My wifes 2wd 04' gets 21mpg on the highway! Check your air filter and plugs. I've replaced 2 brake calipers now, both had froze up.
I put in a K&N CAI last week. Doubt it's the air filter. Plus, it's a brand new truck.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
p285/70/r17
If they're 17's doesn't that mean the offroad package? Not sure as I don't have it, but I thought you get 18's if you don't have it. Also, I thought 275/70 was the stock size for the OR package. Again, no clue really. I think what is killing you is the rpm's you're running at due to the BT package. If I get anywhere near 2000 rpm's my mileage suffers huge. It is what it is I guess. I believe they do use a "winter fuel" here as well but I have yet to get confirmation if that's even true. Something to look up I guess. Make sure they are inflated properly too.

Tailgate down doesn't help and can sometimes hurt according to mythbusters.

As for Giles' post, that still stinks IMO. 3.36 gears or not you should be getting better than that unless you were doing 80mph. It's the nature of the beast. Want better gas mileage, you have to drive 65mph or lower in these things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i just drove it and at 75 mph i was running about 2100 rpms. at 65 i was running about 1750 rpms. If i had a crack in my exhaust Manifold would it be noticable to the untrained ear. is there a way to get my rpms down to where you were referring to?

·
Registered
5 Posts

WoW I just bought a 2011 Pro4-X and am getting 14 to 15(about) as that is city driving(very little highway), but am not heavy on the foot yet LOL. It's getting the same gas mileage my GMC gets it seems and the titan isn't even broken in yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts