Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently purchased a 2008 Titan. It's the first truck that either of us have owned. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck at getting better gas mileage by adding an intake, headers, exhaust, etc. I don't know a whole lot about cars/trucks but any help or suggestions you could give would be great. I know that I'm not gonna get a huge increase in gas mileage by addidng simple bolt-on's. But every little bit helps!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
If MPG is the main goal, do not modify your Titan.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
CAI, headers, hiflow cats, catback, Uprev added about 1 mpg on my 04 if I drive modestly. Of course there is an increased temptation to drive immodestly. The big mpg killer is lift w/ big tires.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Now weigh in the cost to add those mods, and your payback period is probably well over five years if you drive it like a grandma all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear you. With domestic production being choked off, unrest in Arab world and a wacko in Venezuela its a perfect storm for gas prices. A couple tips that have worked for me are: 1. Get a Visa gas card that gives 5%-10% back on gas purchases, use it only for gas and PAY IT OFF EVERY MONTH. 2. Do not exceed 2000rpm unless necessary. With my Titan that means about 71mph and you will draw the BMW's and ricers on the freeway with their blinking headlights but we're talking mpg here. 3. Substituting a net for the tailgate will improve mileage 5%, not because of drag reduction but the tailgate is very heavy on a Titan. Lastly, keep an eye on tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Just go ahead and get ready to stop at her favorite place, the fuel store all the time. My girl can't leave the house without stopping at least twice a week. Titans are thirsty, but they still cost less than a Chevy/GMC/Dodge/Ford. I've got a thread around here somewhere where I did the math. Basically, if the Chevy/GMC/Dodge/Ford does get 20 MPG, it would take 7-10 years to start getting the gas savings with the difference in price of the big 4 trucks and a T.

Here she is at her favorite place :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts