Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm going to be painting the exterior of my house and will be needing a pressure washer to strip off the old paint. So i plan to buy myself a new toy with which to do it, and after that it'll just be used to wash vehicles, dirt bike, driveway, the cat and stuff of that sort. I'm thinking of something in the range of 2500 to 3000psi, any recommendations on what to get?

·
Premium Member
92,279 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice washers, but yikes pricey!

·
Premium Member
92,279 Posts
Yeah, but pay once, keep forever. It's similar with their lawnmowers. Pricey, but quiet, competent and the pans will NEVER rust. Just a better quality machine. I suppose, with care, maintenance, and depending on how much you use it, a less expensive model would suffice for the average homeowner. But if you have the $$$$$........

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a TroyBilt that I picked up from Lowe's. It's 2500psi and somewhere around 2.5gpm with a 5hp Honda motor on it (not sure about the pump). It really puts out the pressure for only having a 5 horse motor - The first time I pressure washed my driveway I was wearing shorts and kept felt this stinging on my lower legs. Turns out I was holding the want a little too close to the surface and it was blowing out tiny bits of concrete... I think I paid around $400 for it several years ago.

·
Premium Member
92,279 Posts
Yes, I recall them being priced around that neighborhood as well. I think I was looking at the same model as you Dawg. Nice unit. The pressure washer I mean.... :huh: How's it work for you? Happy with it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I picked one up at Home Depot a few years back. I think its 2500 PSI with the honda motor. Its a great tool for cleaning the boat, dirt bikes, and stuff.
I have done some damage with mine though.

Damage list so far.

Pin striping on my old 95 pathfinder
Stucco? from front of concrete stairs
Boat seat (was cleaning the deck and was too lazy to pick up a rag for the seat)

Most come with different attachments I use the low pressure one now :paranoid:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DawgBone said:
I have a TroyBilt that I picked up from Lowe's. It's 2500psi and somewhere around 2.5gpm with a 5hp Honda motor on it (not sure about the pump). It really puts out the pressure for only having a 5 horse motor - The first time I pressure washed my driveway I was wearing shorts and kept felt this stinging on my lower legs. Turns out I was holding the want a little too close to the surface and it was blowing out tiny bits of concrete... I think I paid around $400 for it several years ago.
well if 2500psi will peel concrete, i imagine it will peel paint no problem! i was told 3000psi would be better for paint, but i think you've confirmed i can go with less. I've looked at Karcher unit and a craftsman unit in that price range, the Karcher had a horizontal pump and i think the craftsman as well. I'm told they are better than vertical mounted unit.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blackbeauty said:
Yeah, but pay once, keep forever. It's similar with their lawnmowers. Pricey, but quiet, competent and the pans will NEVER rust. Just a better quality machine. I suppose, with care, maintenance, and depending on how much you use it, a less expensive model would suffice for the average homeowner. But if you have the $$$$$........

I know, i lean toward quality first as well, at that price though i'd have to factor in the cost of a divorce cause that would be next.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have a gas and electric,personally I think the gas is a little too much for normal car washing.Yes the gas will etch your concrete and anything else that gets too close.
If it is a big job,I would rent a gas powered,but buy an electric with about 1800 psi.These are great for everyday use as they shut off automatically when you release the trigger and are much quieter when washing your car in the early morning.
Costco has a perfect Karcher electric for about $150 that I love using!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nissan Mike said:
I have a gas and electric,personally I think the gas is a little too much for normal car washing.Yes the gas will etch your concrete and anything else that gets too close.
If it is a big job,I would rent a gas powered,but buy an electric with about 1800 psi.These are great for everyday use as they shut off automatically when you release the trigger and are much quieter when washing your car in the early morning.
Costco has a perfect Karcher electric for about $150 that I love using!
i first was thinking about the Karcher electric one but was told the pressure really drops when your working two storeys from the ground and probably wouldn't be enough for stripping paint. I do like the price of them though.

great avatar! makes it hard to type!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
kman why are you going to strip the paint? is it all ready peeling and flaking everywhere? If not just pressure it real well and paint.

As to what pressure washer to get, as long as it has a Honda engine and a Cat or General pump you are safe. You want at least 3000PSI and 4GPM. That set up won't cost much more and will give you mush better results. 2500PSI with 4GPM is also good. a 2500PSI washer should have at least a 8hp engine and a 3000 PSI should have a 10HP or better, but bigger is better in this case. Remember with 4GPM your pushing more water so you need more engine. I don't recommend the 2.5GPM washers. They usually have a small engine turning higher RPMS that turns the PUMP higher RPMS and doesn't last as long. Also they are pushing less water through a smaller hose. The amount of water is really important. Yeah maybe for a the average home owner the 2.5GPM washers are okay but they don't do near as good of a job as 4GPM washer.

Oh for stripping pain, if you don't have a hot water unit you need 3500 PSI or you will be at it for many days, and even that is is the bare minimum. Yeah you get close and peel paint here and there if your not careful but that isn't the entire home. I get hired by many pro-painters that want me to wash a home before they paint and stripping the paint is never what they want unless it is flaking, it's just not needed.

When washing the house don't use any soaps, it will leave a residue and paint won't stick as well. If you have lots of mildew hit the local pool store and get chlorine. Use your chemical injector system to spray down the home to kill off any mildew. This will also get your soffits nice and clean and help to loosen dirt. After you soak it will good wash it down real well. The chlorine can be strong and burn small flowering plants so cover them and when done wash all the plants down real well with hose water. Chlorine can leave a residue on the home too but it washes off much better than soaps do IMO.

My experience, I have been pressure washing for living full and part time for the last 10 years. I have owned Steam cleaners, Hot water units and small portable units. When I sold all my restaurant accounts and heavy equipment accounts I also sold my two Alkota Hot water units. When I did that I kept my little generac Lowes special. It has a 13HP Honda, CAT pump 3500PSI at 4.5GPM. That unit is 4 years old now. I also have a No Name unit that I built with a 13HP Honda and CAT pump 3000PSI at 4GPM. Never once has either unit failed me. Keep the Pump oil and engine oil changed and they will run for ever.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm a contractor and use a 2700psi Honda powered Porter Cable. Its been great and does whatever I need it to. Whichever you choose, make sure its Honda powered. Ask any contractor or rental place, if you want longevity, reliabilty, and the quietest motors out there, get Honda power.

·
Super Moderator
34,535 Posts
stlblues said:
I'm a contractor and use a 2700psi Honda powered Porter Cable. Its been great and does whatever I need it to. Whichever you choose, make sure its Honda powered. Ask any contractor or rental place, if you want longevity, reliabilty, and the quietest motors out there, get Honda power.
I'm a second on the Honda. Bullet proof small engines, sorry Briggs and Stratton.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Vegas my Steamer was just that a steamer. It was a older Alkota and I forget the model # but it was a duel burner set up that heated the water 350 degrees and full steam, great for resturants and engines. It had a 18HP Briggs until I put a 20HP Honda on it, but dragging around water sucks. My last two Alkota's heatted up to 250 but mostly stayed around the 210 mark.

Yes, Honda Small engines can't be beat in IMO. All though if I couldn't get a Honda, Kholer would be my next choice.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the info guys, very helpfull. I think i found what i want, its a Karcher unit, model G3050 OH, 3000 psi, 2.5 gpm, 6hp honda powered, at Costco for $370. Thats the best price i've seen for that psi.

Shane06fl, i know your thinking i should go with bigger but i'm thinking for my purposes now and after i'll be fine. i may regret it. The paint i need to strip off is all the soffitts and fascia, its a fair bit, but i'll be pulling the siding off so not really a full house job. The soffit and fascia are already well pealed in places so should come off easily.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bestatchess said:
Good research kman, I'll be stopping at Costco. Now find me a similar deal on a good sprayer. :hahano:
at Costco (right beside the pressure washer) was a Wagner paint sprayer unit going for about $175 i believe. I noticed it because it was $25 less then the same one i bought at Home Depot last fall. Its the one with the yellow 1 gallon hopper on top, 2800, 2850, 2900psi (one of those i forget). Its not commercial grade, but good enough for the average DIY'er.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
kman sounds like you got what you wanted, that all the matters. The best thing you can do now is use the machine. Don't let it sit around for the once a year blast. If you don't use it the packings in the pump will dry up and your pump will be hosed. OH when the factory hose goes bad find a place in your area that sells new hoses. Get the larger hose and have stainless fittings put on it, cost you about $75 but it will last a long time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts