Nissan Titan Forum banner

221 - 240 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I had one like that. Terrible terrible gas mileage. I had to put a chip in it to make it feel as fast as my f150 with a 302.

It rode nice but the gas mileage killed me. I ended up getting rid of it because of the gas mileage and everyone and their brother has that body style truck here.
I had a 97’ 1500 Extended cab with 305 v8 and 5 speed manual.. That thing averaged a bit over 19mpg...

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
I had one like that. Terrible terrible gas mileage. I had to put a chip in it to make it feel as fast as my f150 with a 302.

It rode nice but the gas mileage killed me. I ended up getting rid of it because of the gas mileage and everyone and their brother has that body style truck here.
Oh yeah, it was popular. I bought mine in 97 after a drunk driver plowed into my V6 97 with less than 9000 miles on the Odometer (Couple of punk idiot drunk kids in a big oldsmobile boat from the 80s). That green one was common later on, but when I had her, she was relatively new, especially that body style. I think I still have the original brochure that came with it. That was probably the first year that I did what I could to make sure that I picked up a brochure for every car that I ever purchased. Sadly, I have quite an extensive collection now.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,452 Posts
@KenedyTXTitan

My brother had one with a 305 and it got pretty decent mileage, also. The 350 did not, though.

I think it's like the 302 and 351 from ford. 302 gets decent mileage, 351 is terrible.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have the Monroney and the brochure for every new vehicle I've ever purchased.
... That was probably the first year that I did what I could to make sure that I picked up a brochure for every car that I ever purchased. Sadly, I have quite an extensive collection now.

·
Banned
217 Posts
@KenedyTXTitan

My brother had one with a 305 and it got pretty decent mileage, also. The 350 did not, though.

I think it's like the 302 and 351 from ford. 302 gets decent mileage, 351 is terrible.
I had a 97’ 1500 Extended cab with 305 v8 and 5 speed manual.. That thing averaged a bit over 19mpg...
So much depends on the gearing in those as with anything.
I had a 88 bronco with EFI 351W and 3 speed C6 (no OD). It got 10 MPG
I then had a 96 F250 with the same 351W 4speed auto (with OD) and 4.10s. It got 10 MPG.
I then had 89 C1500 with 350 2wd and 3.08 rear end. It still got 18MPG with 190kmiles on it!
Because of the gearing it also would do well over 100 MPH.
The bronco and f250 struggled to reach 80 and the poor 351w would be approaching 4k rpm!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I have the Monroney and the brochure for every new vehicle I've ever purchased.
Window sticker? I have those from most of my cars, but I started collecting them after my 97 truck. I do wish I had started from my truck. It would've been fun to see the MSRP of those older vehicles compared to the ones now. I think I remember my 06 GTO having an MSRP of about $36,000 IIRC. Some of the older brochures I have, they also list MSRP, and it's interesting to see how low those MSRPs were back then. I think I once saw an article in Car and Driver that showed how the percentage of a new car's MSRP has slowly crept up in the past decades. Kind of sad to see how much more of your disposable income goes towards a vehicle nowadays. I guess that's why a lot of people buy used.

So much depends on the gearing in those as with anything.
I had a 88 bronco with EFI 351W and 3 speed C6 (no OD). It got 10 MPG
I then had a 96 F250 with the same 351W 4speed auto (with OD) and 4.10s. It got 10 MPG.
I then had 89 C1500 with 350 2wd and 3.08 rear end. It still got 18MPG with 190kmiles on it!
Because of the gearing it also would do well over 100 MPH.
The bronco and f250 struggled to reach 80 and the poor 351w would be approaching 4k rpm!
One thing to keep in mind, Ford abandoned OHV to go to OHC. My guess is they had difficulty keeping up with GM in the OHV game. They claimed that it was because an OHV wasn't keen to FI and they wanted to build up monster engines, but it appears that they are still a solid 3rd in the HP wars. Chrysler > GM > Ford is how I currently see the big 3 and their V8s. I wouldn't bother putting any other auto manufacturer in that list because they have a limited amount of V8 offerings.

·
Banned
217 Posts
412 miles at my overall average of 14.5 means I have over 28 gallons of gas? Supposedly this tank is 26 gallons but I've never put more than 23 in it and then gauge was buried in the red.
When I just stopped for gas it said I had 59 miles to empty but the truck only took 20.5 gallons.
The math just doesn't add up no matter how you look at it. Assuming the truck thinks I have a 26 gallon tank and it's telling me I'm getting 14.5mpg, but it's telling me I'll get worse fuel economy than that between now and when the tank is empty but once I fill it it's telling me I'll get better than 14.5mpg.
I know these systems aren't that accurate and are generally skewed to make the car look more fuel efficient than it is and that's fine I just wish it would be consistently off in one direction or the other.
Also I wish the distance to empty distance wouldn't disappear when it gets below about 40 miles.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
412 miles at my overall average of 14.5 means I have over 28 gallons of gas? Supposedly this tank is 26 gallons but I've never put more than 23 in it and then gauge was buried in the red.
When I just stopped for gas it said I had 59 miles to empty but the truck only took 20.5 gallons.
The math just doesn't add up no matter how you look at it. Assuming the truck thinks I have a 26 gallon tank and it's telling me I'm getting 14.5mpg, but it's telling me I'll get worse fuel economy than that between now and when the tank is empty but once I fill it it's telling me I'll get better than 14.5mpg.
I know these systems aren't that accurate and are generally skewed to make the car look more fuel efficient than it is and that's fine I just wish it would be consistently off in one direction or the other.
Also I wish the distance to empty distance wouldn't disappear when it gets below about 40 miles.
The 14.5 is most likely a compilation of data from since when you last reset the gauge. The range is probably more specific to the last few tanks. I bet if you reset your Average fuel economy it would be more in line with the range.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Doh, gained 6 miles after the tranny recalibration....jk. Most of these miles were pre-reflash. Not expecting too much change, but will be interesting after a few tanks. The new calibration does make the truck feel a little more brisk.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have to admit, I'm also a little partial to my old 97 Chevy Silverado (like the one below, but regular cab). It had the 350 V8 and was pretty good at keeping up with a V8 mustang of its time. What lured me out of it was GM getting a new V8 that had about 30-40 more HP. Still miss that green thing.

View attachment 550886
I love step side beds had a 1968 Dodge D100 in mint condition I sold a few years back that was stepside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
I love step side beds had a 1968 Dodge D100 in mint condition I sold a few years back that was stepside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You definitely do have to appreciate the classics regardless of what nameplate is on them. One of my neighbors is always driving around in a different older 50s-60s Ford or Chevy truck. I don't see too many older Dodge trucks, but it's definitely a good looking truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think if I filled up before doing a few trips around town I would have gotten into 460 range. This truck does well on the highway for being a big ole v8.

Now to tow some more and get half this range.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,452 Posts
i had a great little 1998 gmc stepside Sonoma with the factory sport package on it. it came with the camaro rims (wide), lowering springs, and wide sway bars from the factory. and it was that little 2200 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, what a great small truck. i got awesome gas mileage and it looked and handled great.

this is the same truck i had, just a slightly darker red. mine was fire engine bright red

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
i had a great little 1998 gmc stepside Sonoma with the factory sport package on it. it came with the camaro rims (wide), lowering springs, and wide sway bars from the factory. and it was that little 2200 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, what a great small truck. i got awesome gas mileage and it looked and handled great.

this is the same truck i had, just a slightly darker red. mine was fire engine bright red

While a generation before this truck, I miss the days when GM was a little more ballsy with their offerings. If GM made a Syclone/Typhoon based on their current truck, I say it would be a big seller (especially if it looked like the truck below).

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,452 Posts
i paid 700 bucks for that little truck from the original owner because he was moving back to cuba since he was retired now. i used that truck to remodel my shed into an apartment so it was always loaded with drywall and wood. what a great truck

i think if they made another typhoon or cyclone, it would definitely be a hit.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro 4x CC Super Black
8 Posts
04BFA6A9-6B35-4A85-B0E9-928EFD6E7684.jpeg

Filled up with 91premium reset at fill up. Drove to my camp in the mountains of Maine. 211 miles driven 299 miles left for gas range. Would put me over 500 mi for the tank. Premium does make a difference. Will follow up on actual mileage when I refill at the same pump. I love this truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got back from a 1800+ mile trip with my 2018 SV. Average for the trip was 19.5mpg and fill up range right around the 500 mile mark. This was running 82-85mph most of the way. Pretty impressed so far after recently switching over from a V6 Ram 1500.

221 - 240 of 251 Posts