241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro 4x CC Super Black
8 Posts
433 on the fill up just a bit ago.
7A4B71E0-6A95-467C-9B22-524D215DB340.jpeg
90B56C45-E876-4224-9D93-08977C09FE29.jpeg

So here is the follow up from full tank to refill on the same pump. Truck gauge says 19.9 actual was 19.5 calculated. Not bad for a dummy gauge. Now range at 509 miles. That was driving city and mountains to camp and back. Being a long time Frontier owner and getting 16-19 miles to gal this 2021 Titan P4X is all around the best vehicle I have owned. For all the people having issues with transmission I feel sorry cause this thing drives like a sports car. I would not change anything with this drivetrain.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Interesting uptick after the transmission bulletin. I will temper this with the fact that I haven't stopped at a fast food drive thru in a while and did a lot of highway driving when my power went out last week. I had been hovering around 410-420 over the past few gas tanks.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,452 Posts
mine is probably going to stay in the low 400s for a while. its the time of year where i have a 20 mile headwind anytime i take the truck anywhere, but on the return trip home. so anytime i drive the truck, half the trip will be into a 20mph headwind. and the next out of town trip is planned for 4th of july up to leakey and the rio frio to see my parents so its all hill country driving there.

i guess i should just get used the fact the low 400s will be all i might ever get in my truck. not that its bad but seeing others get in the high 400s and low 500s makes it seem bad. its not, especially coming from a 2001 frontier crew cab with that 3.3 baby v6. that engine was going to last longer than the planet but it wasn't going to drive past any gas stations when you were on the highway

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
mine is probably going to stay in the low 400s for a while. its the time of year where i have a 20 mile headwind anytime i take the truck anywhere, but on the return trip home. so anytime i drive the truck, half the trip will be into a 20mph headwind. and the next out of town trip is planned for 4th of july up to leakey and the rio frio to see my parents so its all hill country driving there.

i guess i should just get used the fact the low 400s will be all i might ever get in my truck. not that its bad but seeing others get in the high 400s and low 500s makes it seem bad. its not, especially coming from a 2001 frontier crew cab with that 3.3 baby v6. that engine was going to last longer than the planet but it wasn't going to drive past any gas stations when you were on the highway
How much PSI are you running in the tires? I noticed a very small uptick when I inflated mine near the limit (39 PSI). One thing I'll also state is that some people really like to use their brakes on the off-ramps then for whatever reason apply gas. I like to just let off the gas and let the truck coast up to any stoplight or stop sign. I can't remember, but the 17s do or don't have the 9 speed? If not, I suspect that's going to be the biggest factor in MPG.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am running stock 275-70-18 BFG TAKO2 I try to run them at 42-43psi on Highway and Logging roads a 34-35psi.
93477DA8-245F-4F77-93A2-2DCF552CD5F5.jpeg

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
I am running stock 275-70-18 BFG TAKO2 I try to run them at 42-43psi on Highway and Logging roads a 34-35psi. View attachment 551269
Is 42-43 just a bit over the recommended PSI? I want to say the door plate said 40 when I checked. At 39-40 I get a little bit more bounce on the roads than before I filled them, so I'm not sure if I'd want to fill them anymore, but I would like to see the 500 just once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been a BFG fan for along time. Up here in Maine as they say. The small foothills we call mountains there is a lot of Shale rock like shards of glass so load range E and beefy sidewalls are a must unless you have multiple spares. So I guess 42psi with heavier tires seem to roll better on the highway. This is my own personal preference so everyone has to find what works for them. It seem to work 19.5 mpg calculated in this truck is amazing.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,452 Posts
i run mine right at 40 and coast a lot, too. but i do have the 7 speed. maybe when we drive to the Carolinas again i will get better mileage

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
i run mine right at 40 and coast a lot, too. but i do have the 7 speed. maybe when we drive to the Carolinas again i will get better mileage
Those missing 2 gears might be just a slight difference. I figure if your top gear has the same ratio as the 9 speed's top gear (plus the rear-end of course), then once you get to speed it should be chalking up the same MPG. The only time you would see a dip in MPG is when the transmission shifting between the gears as you're driving in higher RPMs through each gear.

I'm tempted to plug in my OBII device and record shift points and gears selected to see if the 9 speed maybe skips even numbered gears when casually driving. I figure it doesn't go through the entire set of gears for the sake of fuel economy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most of the miles driving to the camp are when traveling between 35 and 65 mph. Maybe that is making the motor and trans work at the optimum RPM. I have put a ton of miles on the truck(4600) in just over two months. The drivetrain has definitely become more responsive and flat out smooth ripping through the gears. I do know that premium makes a big difference. For about $5.80 more for 20gals no question it’s worth it.

241 - 251 of 251 Posts