Nissan Titan Forum banner
301 - 320 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look! I'm driving a company truck which is a 7.7 liter F-250 Tremor. Which is averaging 20 mpg and the vehicle is driven in 4x4 daily to get to certain jobs or access certain areas. It also is used to tow welders, light stands, air compressors and various heavy materials.

There's nothing in the bed of the Titan other than a tri-fold vinyl tonneau cover and a bedrug. So what your telling me is that a Nissan Titan cannot handle a spare tire. If I take it out I'll get 15.5 mpg! Or I should expect 9 mpg if I haul a UTV, utility trailer and my hunting stuff to my camps, family farms or leases. Hum!!!!!

A really good friend! Custom built me a CAI and an exhaust system hopefully this helps out. And the fact that this truck isn't broken in yet. I'll check my tires, but it sits in an atmospherically controlled garage. So I highly doubt that is the problem with 2,000 miles on it.

My wife had a 2014 Xterra! The best gas mileage was around 15 mpg. Nissan's are notoriously bad on gas mileage for their vehicles. With maybe a few exceptions in some of their cars. Mechanically the vehicle is sound! Routine maintenance was all that was needed.

Either guys are inflating the mpg on here. Or the heavier PRO 4X get bad mileage than the S, SV, SL and Platinum Reserve. With the heavy duty suspension and locking rear differential. I may buy that argument!

A bunch of guys on my crew have Raptors, Rocky Ridge K2's and one has a TRX. They all get around 17-18 mpg! But my Nissan is falling far short in this category. Compared to these vehicles that are pay to play to.

I like the appearance of the Titan! It is laid out pretty well seems solid. The turning radius is probably the best I've ever seen in a full size pick-up. I can live with a bumpy ride with an off-road package, but seriously the fuel mileage sucks. Let's be honest!

If Nissan doesn't step up their game their always going to be second tier in the full size truck game. Just sharing my opinion and being realistic...........

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
they don't mind being second, which sucks but that's their deal.

you should be getting really close to the same as those other guys. i think its because your truck is not broken in. mine had a new engine put in around 10k miles ago and it went down with the new engine, a little bit, but all the rest of the truck is broken in. yours is all new so it all needs to break in. how long it takes, though, i have no idea. i bought my truck with 29k on it and it was already broken in.

i have a good four hour ride to the rio frio river for fourth of july. i will let you guys know what the numbers come in at. its all uphill and the last hour of it is in the texas hill country so it should be a good test for mileage. coming home always sucks because where i live has a year round head wind of about 20mph back into town so i generally get 13-14 coming back into town at 77-80mph.

that's the other thing to consider. these trucks get the best mileage to me at about 72. that grandma speed on the highways here in texas so its very rare i drive it going out of town but just something to look at when you drive yours. my father-in-law said the same thing about his eco-boost. 72 got him 27mpg on the highway but each mile over dropped so when he was doing 80, he was getting around 20-21. still good for a truck but definitely not ford's advertised gas mileage since they do their tests at 55

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Look! I'm driving a company truck which is a 7.7 liter F-250 Tremor. Which is averaging 20 mpg and the vehicle is driven in 4x4 daily to get to certain jobs or access certain areas. It also is used to tow welders, light stands, air compressors and various heavy materials.

There's nothing in the bed of the Titan other than a tri-fold vinyl tonneau cover and a bedrug. So what your telling me is that a Nissan Titan cannot handle a spare tire. If I take it out I'll get 15.5 mpg! Or I should expect 9 mpg if I haul a UTV, utility trailer and my hunting stuff to my camps, family farms or leases. Hum!!!!!

A really good friend! Custom built me a CAI and an exhaust system hopefully this helps out. And the fact that this truck isn't broken in yet. I'll check my tires, but it sits in an atmospherically controlled garage. So I highly doubt that is the problem with 2,000 miles on it.

My wife had a 2014 Xterra! The best gas mileage was around 15 mpg. Nissan's are notoriously bad on gas mileage for their vehicles. With maybe a few exceptions in some of their cars. Mechanically the vehicle is sound! Routine maintenance was all that was needed.

Either guys are inflating the mpg on here. Or the heavier PRO 4X get bad mileage than the S, SV, SL and Platinum Reserve. With the heavy duty suspension and locking rear differential. I may buy that argument!

A bunch of guys on my crew have Raptors, Rocky Ridge K2's and one has a TRX. They all get around 17-18 mpg! But my Nissan is falling far short in this category. Compared to these vehicles that are pay to play to.

I like the appearance of the Titan! It is laid out pretty well seems solid. The turning radius is probably the best I've ever seen in a full size pick-up. I can live with a bumpy ride with an off-road package, but seriously the fuel mileage sucks. Let's be honest!

If Nissan doesn't step up their game their always going to be second tier in the full size truck game. Just sharing my opinion and being realistic...........
The Pro-4X I had was averaging around 16 MPG. The Platinum seems to be getting about 1 MPG better, but it had the tires crazy inflated to near 50 PSI, and I haven't driven it but 400 miles, so I can't say that the 1 MPG is going to stick. I'd say that 16 MPG should be the average. My earlier post was that there are all sorts of variables that can affect you enough for 1-2 MPG, and that the 1-2 MPG difference doesn't seem insane.

Is the work truck a diesel? Also, what kind of fuel do you use for your Titan? I know some shoddy gas stations around here used to put some water in their fuel, and not to mention some gas stations are using up to 15% ethanol. I think around here 10% ethanol is the most. Speaking of, I am going to try a few gas tanks of 100% fuel at one of the gas stations around here just to see if it helps with my break-in period. I also need some 100% fuel for my lawn equipment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This Nissan Titan PRO 4X is a toy for me! I sold my 2018 Shelby F-150 back to the Ford dealer I usually deal with. They were on me for the past three years I owned the truck. I don't know maybe they had a buyer! But it cost me next to nothing to own it for three years so I took the cash and they gave me a good deal on a Limited with the 3.5 high output Ecoboost motor. Plus I had a pocket full of cash and who wouldn't like that! So that was in March of 2020 and with nothing to do for three months during the pandemic. My buddy who builds high end hotrods had an Adrenaline Kit. So that was installed along with a lift and 35" tires. To make a long story short and more than 600 pony's later. I knew damn well I wouldn't use this buggy as a hunting hauler and throw deer carcasses in the back. So when things loosened up a little! I tried to buy a Platinum F-150 with no luck. So I found a Nissan Titan PRO 4X! Then had a big issue with the paint, but they took care of it. Now my friend and I are in modest upgrade mode hopefully. Nissan was nice enough to send him the specs on the 5.6. So we played with the exhaust and found a little rumble without chasing the deer away. I usually tig weld some things for him! Then he and his designer came up with a design for a CAI. They want to unveil them at SEMA along with their Mustang. Donny's been on me to drive the Titan more. We're hoping that the gas mileage improves with some of the other mods that were done. Unfortunately, with work and everything else going on it's been a little rough. I sold my other F-150 XLT to my nephew and it pisses me off a little bit everytime I see it. It was a 2.7 Ecoboost with bigger turbos, intercooler, turbo exhaust, a simple K&N air filter, oil separator and was tuned. Cranking out over 550 HP at the rear wheels. On 35" tires and Fox/Roush lift and got almost 27 mpg. I guess I'm a little bit out of my comfort zone with this Nissan Titan. My buddy and I are still on the learning curve lol. This 14.5 mpg got me a little spooked about putting modestly bigger tires on it. Or investing into the air ride suspension my buddy customized to go along with the dealers lift they already installed. Hopefully soon I'll share some pics, but for now it is in my camps garage. Had to clear out a spot in the toy barn lol. Okay back to the payroll! So I can go home for the first time this week.......ttyl

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
This Nissan Titan PRO 4X is a toy for me! I sold my 2018 Shelby F-150 back to the Ford dealer I usually deal with. They were on me for the past three years I owned the truck. I don't know maybe they had a buyer! But it cost me next to nothing to own it for three years so I took the cash and they gave me a good deal on a Limited with the 3.5 high output Ecoboost motor. Plus I had a pocket full of cash and who wouldn't like that! So that was in March of 2020 and with nothing to do for three months during the pandemic. My buddy who builds high end hotrods had an Adrenaline Kit. So that was installed along with a lift and 35" tires. To make a long story short and more than 600 pony's later. I knew damn well I wouldn't use this buggy as a hunting hauler and throw deer carcasses in the back. So when things loosened up a little! I tried to buy a Platinum F-150 with no luck. So I found a Nissan Titan PRO 4X! Then had a big issue with the paint, but they took care of it. Now my friend and I are in modest upgrade mode hopefully. Nissan was nice enough to send him the specs on the 5.6. So we played with the exhaust and found a little rumble without chasing the deer away. I usually tig weld some things for him! Then he and his designer came up with a design for a CAI. They want to unveil them at SEMA along with their Mustang. Donny's been on me to drive the Titan more. We're hoping that the gas mileage improves with some of the other mods that were done. Unfortunately, with work and everything else going on it's been a little rough. I sold my other F-150 XLT to my nephew and it pisses me off a little bit everytime I see it. It was a 2.7 Ecoboost with bigger turbos, intercooler, turbo exhaust, a simple K&N air filter, oil separator and was tuned. Cranking out over 550 HP at the rear wheels. On 35" tires and Fox/Roush lift and got almost 27 mpg. I guess I'm a little bit out of my comfort zone with this Nissan Titan. My buddy and I are still on the learning curve lol. This 14.5 mpg got me a little spooked about putting modestly bigger tires on it. Or investing into the air ride suspension my buddy customized to go along with the dealers lift they already installed. Hopefully soon I'll share some pics, but for now it is in my camps garage. Had to clear out a spot in the toy barn lol. Okay back to the payroll! So I can go home for the first time this week.......ttyl
My experience with putting in a freer flowing intake and exhaust is that it hurts my MPG. I mean you are pulling in more air (if the intake is done right) and I suspect that the ECM/ECU is adjusting your A/F for the best mix. That is probably where you're seeing the drop in MPG. Have you dynoed the truck yet? I wouldn't be surprised if you're at least 10-20 horses higher than a stock Titan. Hell, you're already tinkering, I suspect if you really wanted to, you could get 550 HP out of the Titan (if someone has cracked the computer). The 5.6 in the Titan reminds me a bit of the Ford (non-flat-plane cranked monster) V8.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
Got the truck back today with the replacement gas tank. They cleaned the truck really nice while they had it, too. The Altima was a nice around town car but it wasn't the titan and I am glad my truck is back.

They said they didn't have to go take it and fill it to hear the whistle since I described exactly what the tsb said so they just put the new tank in and gave it back.

I guess I will fill it up maybe sometime this week and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Got the truck back today with the replacement gas tank. They cleaned the truck really nice while they had it, too. The Altima was a nice around town car but it wasn't the titan and I am glad my truck is back.

They said they didn't have to go take it and fill it to hear the whistle since I described exactly what the tsb said so they just put the new tank in and gave it back.

I guess I will fill it up maybe sometime this week and see how it sounds.
Now if you hear a whistle it's going to be the guy at the next pump whistling about how much money you're spending on gas. :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Never had a gas tank whistle! However, I did have a vehicle that wouldn't all the gas to go into the tank. I was told the vent was blocked when the vehicle was under-coated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a fuel card account! Get a pretty good discount on BP/Amoco gas. Probably not as cheap as Costco or Sam's Club! Years ago, I shopped tires at Sam's got a great price on BF Goodrich KO's. Found out later they were BF Goodrich tires spec'ed by Sam's Club. Not the tires you would get from a actual dealer. Alot of retailers do this! Makes me wonder where they get their gas from to discount it .50¢-.75¢. When most gas stations give .03¢-.10¢ on a loyalty or credit card. I know you buy a membership to those places, but that's a big discrepancy. We have a bunch of Speedways, Sheetz and Valero's here. That sells cheap gas! Our Sam's Club doesn't sell gas at all and the closest Costco is at least 20 miles away. So I go were it is convenient! I can hit the BP or Amoco station a couple miles from the house. Also according to AAA and the GasBuddy App they rated the best gas. BP/Amoco, Chevron and Mobile were the top three. I'd find out who's gasoline Sam's Club and Costco are selling. There's definitely advantages in using the best grades of gasoline. You may pick up some extra mpg's!

·
Registered
53 Posts

you should be getting really close to the same as those other guys. i think its because your truck is not broken in. mine had a new engine put in around 10k miles ago and it went down with the new engine, a little bit, but all the rest of the truck is broken in. yours is all new so it all needs to break in. how long it takes, though, i have no idea. i bought my truck with 29k on it and it was already broken in.

i have a good four hour ride to the rio frio river for fourth of july. i will let you guys know what the numbers come in at. its all uphill and the last hour of it is in the texas hill country so it should be a good test for mileage. coming home always sucks because where i live has a year round head wind of about 20mph back into town so i generally get 13-14 coming back into town at 77-80mph.

that's the other thing to consider. these trucks get the best mileage to me at about 72. that grandma speed on the highways here in texas so its very rare i drive it going out of town but just something to look at when you drive yours. my father-in-law said the same thing about his eco-boost. 72 got him 27mpg on the highway but each mile over dropped so when he was doing 80, he was getting around 20-21. still good for a truck but definitely not ford's advertised gas mileage since they do their tests at 55
Okay! Here's what we come up with today! We upgraded the fuel filter after running out most of the gas. Maybe some cheap grade of gas from the dealership was still in the tank. Since I really don't have too many miles on this truck. Then we topped off with fresh premium gas and an octane booster. Then I drove the truck until the mileage range indicator said I could go another 11 miles. These weren't easy miles! I didn't baby the go pedal lol. Up hills went on a couple dirt roads and had it over a 100 mph a few times. The recommended octane booster dose was 32 ounces for a twenty gallon tank so we decided to go with forty ounces. Since the Titan has a 26 gallon tank! So I pulled out the funnel and put another forty ounces of octane booster in and topped off with premium 94 octane gas. Then drove it normally! Dropped my buddy off at the shop and the computer indicated my gas mileage was 16.8. Which is way better than 14.5! Didn't run it on the interstate so it may be alot better.

Okay! Since I'm off until Monday we had some time to play. So today we installed an upgraded fuel filter. After running the tank down to under an 1/8 a tank. Then we added 40 ounces of Torco Alccelerator octane booster. Since thirty two ounces were recommended for a twenty gallon tank and the Titan has a 26 gallon. We added forty ounces and topped it off with 94 octane premium gas. Then we took off for a test ride! We couldn't open it up until we got out of town, but we could both feel a big difference. I could tell right away the hesitation was minimized. Going through town with all the stop signs and lights. When we got out of town it was time to get busy. No more babying the go pedal. Took over a hundred a few times probably pissed off the rural folk driving it like we stole it. We were on dirt roads, went up big hills and mountains. The Titan ran good for once and was fun to drive. Ran it til the gas range indicator said I only had 11 miles to go. Stopped at a gas station that sells good 94 octane premium gas. Pulled out the funnel and add 40 ounces of Torco octane booster and topped off the tank. Then headed back to drop my buddy off at the shop. The mileage indicator said the mpg was 17.2. On back roads and through town, never touched the interstate. So we Dyno tested it! With only modest mods, CAI and a true dual exhaust the Gain was 48 HP. Not bad for not messing with the computer. We're thinking these trucks sat during the pandemic too long. Probably with cheap grades of gas in the tank! Also the tanks were not topped off! So the sluggish hesitation off the line was contributed the fuel system needing a good flushing. I'm going to try it on the highway sometime soon, but first it needs a bath. I think I hammered the majority of bugs in the state LOL 😆

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands Here's a good resource, although some people might insist that it's like many of those "seal of approvals" that only require you pay for membership. I think a few of the gas brands you mention are on that list. I personally try to stick to either Shell or Costco, which are both on the list. The fuel used by dealerships is going to be the cheapest, as they have no stake in the vehicle running good, especially after it's been sold. Glad to see that you're over 17 MPG AND have increased HP. Happy trucking!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Okay! Since I'm off until Monday we had some time to play. So today we installed an upgraded fuel filter. After running the tank down to under an 1/8 a tank. Then we added 40 ounces of Torco Alccelerator octane booster. Since thirty two ounces were recommended for a twenty gallon tank and the Titan has a 26 gallon. We added forty ounces and topped it off with 94 octane premium gas. Then we took off for a test ride! We couldn't open it up until we got out of town, but we could both feel a big difference. I could tell right away the hesitation was minimized. Going through town with all the stop signs and lights. When we got out of town it was time to get busy. No more babying the go pedal. Took over a hundred a few times probably pissed off the rural folk driving it like we stole it. We were on dirt roads, went up big hills and mountains. The Titan ran good for once and was fun to drive. Ran it til the gas range indicator said I only had 11 miles to go. Stopped at a gas station that sells good 94 octane premium gas. Pulled out the funnel and add 40 ounces of Torco octane booster and topped off the tank. Then headed back to drop my buddy off at the shop. The mileage indicator said the mpg was 17.2. On back roads and through town, never touched the interstate. So we Dyno tested it! With only modest mods, CAI and a true dual exhaust the Gain was 48 HP. Not bad for not messing with the computer. We're thinking these trucks sat during the pandemic too long. Probably with cheap grades of gas in the tank! Also the tanks were not topped off! So the sluggish hesitation off the line was contributed the fuel system needing a good flushing. I'm going to try it on the highway sometime soon, but first it needs a bath. I think I hammered the majority of bugs in the state LOL 😆
Could you please post a pic of the dyno? Would love to see where the power gain was... seems to be a rather exceptional gain for minimal mods.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
Could you please post a pic of the dyno? Would love to see where the power gain was... seems to be a rather exceptional gain for minimal mods.
It definitely sounds like some healthy gains. I know V8s generally take well to mods as compared to smaller sized engines, mostly because there is already a lot of power made to begin with. My LS3 made about 35 more HP from a OTR intake, and it is similar to the 5.6 Titan in output (415HP 415TQ stock). That's one thing I don't miss about many of the Turbo 4 bangers that I have had, spend $1000 on mods, see 15-20 HP gains. Then again, those are generally smaller cars and those smaller gains make a bit bigger difference. I'd say 48 isn't too far fetched, if a little high for those types of mods.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
I bet you right about it just needing a little blow out with some fun driving. I did that with mine when I first got it too, and it was fun. The truck will do 100 with ease but it's not something I try to do and have only done once because I was being tailgated badly and I wondered what the governor was set at.it got to a hundred quick and I didn't go too much faster so I never found the speed limiter

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
I bet you right about it just needing a little blow out with some fun driving. I did that with mine when I first got it too, and it was fun. The truck will do 100 with ease but it's not something I try to do and have only done once because I was being tailgated badly and I wondered what the governor was set at.it got to a hundred quick and I didn't go too much faster so I never found the speed limiter
My break-in of any new vehicle involves driving it like I stole it, which is how I normally drive in the first place. I know the old school way of thinking was to drive it gently, but how in the hell does that help you find the weak spots of a vehicle that's under warranty? I'd rather drive it rough early and then baby it when I'm out of warranty, that way any issues can be addressed under warranty.

Had another fill-up today. I'm hoping that I cleared out most of the dealership's gas, but I think a few more tanks are in order. I will also be grabbing some pure fuel next week, so I'll run a tank of that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve been looking to trade in my Ram for a Titan, but with the way inventory is now I’ll have to wait. I’m okay with the mpg of the Titan but I would hope Nissan would increase the tank size for better range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to be honest here! My Titan is a thirsty vehicle plus I think some people are over inflating their gas mileage figures. An old Frontier I had got around 15 mpg so I figured this new Titan would be similar. So for the most part Nissan doesn't exceed expectations on their truck's gas mileage.

I use the very best premium gas I can buy which is 94 octane. Someone talked about using a octane booster on here. Flushing out cheap dealer gas! Plus all these new trucks sat for months during the pandemic. Made sense that maybe junk gas and ethanol may affect the direct injection and fuel filters.

So here's what I did! Installed a better fuel filter after running out pretty much all the gas. Bought a case of Lucas octane booster where each bottle treats 25 gallons of gas. (Figured the Titan's tank is 26 gallons and that's close enough.) I'd also recommend finding a octane booster without MMT so it doesn't gunk up the plugs.

Then I added a oil treatment called RVT! Which helps with keeping everything lubricated and coated properly. Idling the Titan for 15 minutes then adding the rest of the treatment. Then I added the octane booster and topped off the tank with 94 octane gas and drove it for a half an hour as recommended.

My dismal gas mileage figures improved! Hopefully when the Titan is broken in the mileage gets even better. The reasoning behind breaking in a vehicle. Is to not set the cruise control and wear a band in a consistent driving range. Manufacturers tell people to not set the cruise for x amount of miles. Drive at different speeds!

I know from my moto-cross days and my time owning hotrods and muscle cars. Gasoline is different! Do your homework and find out who sells the best grades of gas in your area. It may be the difference in mph, HP and possibly a repair. I'm old school with tinkering with my vehicles! You can mess around with the computer and get short term gains. Which will eventually bite ya in the *** and break something. Or you can do stuff right without creating problems.

Because if Nissan's paint is a problem on the trucks. What other things did the company skimp on?

301 - 320 of 416 Posts