Nissan Titan Forum banner
321 - 340 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
I'm going to be honest here! My Titan is a thirsty vehicle plus I think some people are over inflating their gas mileage figures. An old Frontier I had got around 15 mpg so I figured this new Titan would be similar. So for the most part Nissan doesn't exceed expectations on their truck's gas mileage.

I use the very best premium gas I can buy which is 94 octane. Someone talked about using a octane booster on here. Flushing out cheap dealer gas! Plus all these new trucks sat for months during the pandemic. Made sense that maybe junk gas and ethanol may affect the direct injection and fuel filters.

So here's what I did! Installed a better fuel filter after running out pretty much all the gas. Bought a case of Lucas octane booster where each bottle treats 25 gallons of gas. (Figured the Titan's tank is 26 gallons and that's close enough.) I'd also recommend finding a octane booster without MMT so it doesn't gunk up the plugs.

Then I added a oil treatment called RVT! Which helps with keeping everything lubricated and coated properly. Idling the Titan for 15 minutes then adding the rest of the treatment. Then I added the octane booster and topped off the tank with 94 octane gas and drove it for a half an hour as recommended.

My dismal gas mileage figures improved! Hopefully when the Titan is broken in the mileage gets even better. The reasoning behind breaking in a vehicle. Is to not set the cruise control and wear a band in a consistent driving range. Manufacturers tell people to not set the cruise for x amount of miles. Drive at different speeds!

I know from my moto-cross days and my time owning hotrods and muscle cars. Gasoline is different! Do your homework and find out who sells the best grades of gas in your area. It may be the difference in mph, HP and possibly a repair. I'm old school with tinkering with my vehicles! You can mess around with the computer and get short term gains. Which will eventually bite ya in the *** and break something. Or you can do stuff right without creating problems.

Because if Nissan's paint is a problem on the trucks. What other things did the company skimp on?
In all fairness, manufacturers have gone cheap on paint across the board. They're having to go with a paint that breaks down easier for the sake of environmental guidelines. It sucks for us consumers, and I'm not even sure what it's supposed to do to help out the environment. I remember when General Motors went to the cheaper paint, their suburban plant would have trim pieces fall right off the vehicles on the assembly lines with large chunks of paint stuck to them. Kind of sad when your paint is so bad that it can't even keep a piece of trim on a vehicle.

As for the other stuff, I'll put premium in, and I prefer synthetic oil, but I don't go too crazy on other treatments, etc. I'm not going to be "that guy" that will insist you're wrong for spending extra money to get longevity out of the 5.6. I handwash my truck in 90-100 degree weather to avoid scratching up the clearcoat ffs. Just curious, how much did your MPG increase? For me I try to avoid idling if possible. Remote start, I won't use it if I can avoid it. The keyfob remote window roll-down is a great alternative to running the A/C and really helps hot air escape the cabin. I learned that little trick on here with help from my fellow Titan owners. I know some people that will drive around with the A/C turned off and just run on the vents to save a few miles per tank. If they value those few miles over feeling comfortable, I'm not going to call them out. As far as I'm concerned, there's no right or wrong when it comes to vehicle maintenance. If anyone wants to make payments for me, I'll gladly follow their recommendations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In all fairness, manufacturers have gone cheap on paint across the board. They're having to go with a paint that breaks down easier for the sake of environmental guidelines. It sucks for us consumers, and I'm not even sure what it's supposed to do to help out the environment. I remember when General Motors went to the cheaper paint, their suburban plant would have trim pieces fall right off the vehicles on the assembly lines with large chunks of paint stuck to them. Kind of sad when your paint is so bad that it can't even keep a piece of trim on a vehicle.

As for the other stuff, I'll put premium in, and I prefer synthetic oil, but I don't go too crazy on other treatments, etc. I'm not going to be "that guy" that will insist you're wrong for spending extra money to get longevity out of the 5.6. I handwash my truck in 90-100 degree weather to avoid scratching up the clearcoat ffs. Just curious, how much did your MPG increase? For me I try to avoid idling if possible. Remote start, I won't use it if I can avoid it. The keyfob remote window roll-down is a great alternative to running the A/C and really helps hot air escape the cabin. I learned that little trick on here with help from my fellow Titan owners. I know some people that will drive around with the A/C turned off and just run on the vents to save a few miles per tank. If they value those few miles over feeling comfortable, I'm not going to call them out. As far as I'm concerned, there's no right or wrong when it comes to vehicle maintenance. If anyone wants to make payments for me, I'll gladly follow their recommendations.
I didn't recommend anything numbnuts! I only stated what I did in preventative maintenance and maybe a solution for decreased gas mileage. The only recommendation I made was to look for a octane booster without the MMT additive. Because it may gunk up the plugs! When I made the statement about Nissan's cheap paint work. It's because their the only manufacturer who uses a water based paint. I didn't ask for your life story and hard-on for GM. Not interested in your environmental views! Nor your politics and moral epiphanies! Maybe you can get "Q" to make your payment? Stick to the Titan! Or expect to get lumped up.....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
I didn't recommend anything numbnuts! I only stated what I did in preventative maintenance and maybe a solution for decreased gas mileage. The only recommendation I made was to look for a octane booster without the MMT additive. Because it may gunk up the plugs! When I made the statement about Nissan's cheap paint work. It's because their the only manufacturer who uses a water based paint. I didn't ask for your life story and hard-on for GM. Not interested in your environmental views! Nor your politics and moral epiphanies! Maybe you can get "Q" to make your payment? Stick to the Titan! Or expect to get lumped up.....
Ummm, I was actually defending what you do "numbnuts". Reading comprehension is fundamental. It's called having a discussion, it's what humans do, but if that's not what you do, that's fine.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Looks like it's going to be rather consistent with the P4X's numbers.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Oh and just a reminder, gas prices will be sneaking up in time for the holiday travel.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
yup, like they always do. all the people want to see their families so lets make some money off it.. thanks whoever is in charge of raising the prices at a whim

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
yup, like they always do. all the people want to see their families so lets make some money off it.. thanks whoever is in charge of raising the prices at a whim
Some people really like the idea of "pure capitalism" but pure capitalism would involve gas stations being able to gouge us. I remember the few events when a few gas stations tried to gouge consumers: 9/11, and a few hurricanes that hit Houston, most notably the one that hit a refinery about 2-3 years ago. Probably the first time I saw gas stations actually run out of gas.

One of the reasons I like Costco is their gas prices don't go up around the holidays or events. It may creep up 2-3 cents, but they're pretty consistent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's cool if your a fan of Costco at least it's better than Sam's Club. But Costco isn't as readily available as their Walmart based competitor. Personally speaking, it would be ridiculous for me to travel 25-30 miles to join Costco. It would wipe away any reward! They sell Mobil gas which is a top tier gasoline. Which fluctuates between 91-93% octane for premium. Plus you buy a membership for Costco! They only accept debit or credit cards! Every time I have ever been around a Costco it looks like a pandemic unemployment line around the gas pumps. So you better not be in a hurry or sucking fumes! The company lures you in with cheap gas to get you into the store to buy more. Or vice versa!

In my area! There's a few gas stations who sell a little better grade of fuel. There's no wait and they'll accept cash. These franchises are owned by folks in my community. Not some corporate giant! To me supporting the little guys is more important. Which supports the local economy! Rather than these elitist capitalists who pay little to nothing in taxes. I'd rather pay a few more cents at the pump! Than allow the super wealthy to use loopholes in our tax codes to rob us blind. As we wait for a trickle which never comes......

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
i don't think we have a Costco near us, either. we have a sams but its a decent trip to go to (relative to everything else around me). i never noticed the gas prices since i don't shop there but i like to use our local heb and if i want ethanol free, i go to Rudy's which is about 5 miles away (falls in the "decent trip" category).

i would rather keep money in our community also but we don't have anymore mom and pop shops. they all went under around here

i remember those huge gas lines when all those things happened. since i ride my bicycle a lot, i never had to wait in those lines but i can imagine it was horrible

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
418 when I filled up just now. No more whistle or noise though still only 19 gallons from the edge of the red line to full. What size is the tank supposed to be, 24 or 28? Mine never comes close to either even when the count down to empty is at zero

·
Registered
110 Posts
418 when I filled up just now. No more whistle or noise though still only 19 gallons from the edge of the red line to full. What size is the tank supposed to be, 24 or 28? Mine never comes close to either even when the count down to empty is at zero
Tank is 26 american gallons or 98 litres.

when the gas light comes on i put almost 90 litres !!
best dash mileages i ever saw after a fuelup was over 800 km but that doesn’t mean anything... bet mileage îve ever done was 11.4 l/100km over a fuel up.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Glad that 93 octane here is still under $3.00/gal. Filled her up so that hopefully she'll last me past the 4th of July weekend, even though I have to go furniture shopping this weekend.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
Went with my dad to pick up a used travel trailer he bought. We picked it up with his first gen and had to drive about 60 miles with it. We filled up the truck and hooked up the 24 foot trailer which said it weighed 4600 pounds on the tag and got 8mpg coming back through the hill country. It cut his gas mileage in half because we were getting a little over 17 going out there.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Went with my dad to pick up a used travel trailer he bought. We picked it up with his first gen and had to drive about 60 miles with it. We filled up the truck and hooked up the 24 foot trailer which said it weighed 4600 pounds on the tag and got 8mpg coming back through the hill country. It cut his gas mileage in half because we were getting a little over 17 going out there. View attachment 552714
Just at 200 miles for a full tank, that's bad, but I guess with all that weight. For father's day, you should've cleaned his headlights for him. :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did a long trip with my Titan, 3600 miles round trip, noticed that, while on the highway +70 MPH (1750 RPM) the range was 22-23 MPG (best tank range was 565), but, over 75 MPG (+1800 RPM), the range went down to 19, in Texas (, where the speed limit was 80 MPH (2000 RPM), it went to 18 MPG

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
You just went by us, @rmontoya323. We were right there in Ingram by 20 where the speeds are posted 80mph when we picked up that travel trailer

I notice the same thing, if I set cruise around 72mph, I get over 20mpg. 75-76 gets me 19mpgish and 80mph puts me in the 16-17mph range

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
Driving around leakey and concan, I am getting 17-18 here in the hills and everyone driving fast

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,855 Posts
Says 438 when I filled it up just now. Numbers came out to 16mpg for driving all over south Texas at 80mph. I just set cruise at 80 and we went from Hondo to leakey to west San Antonio and than to north San Antonio (county line bbq) and than all the way home to corpus Christi right before you get onto the island. It was a nice drive and the kids fell asleep in the back seat (22 and 23 year olds) for a good part of the drive

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been making trips from Phoenix to Tucson the last few weeks. A mix of 65-75 mph. Using the non intelligent cruise control and only going 1-2 mph over. Worked out to 21.4 mpg over 3 tanks.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
Been making trips from Phoenix to Tucson the last few weeks. A mix of 65-75 mph. Using the non intelligent cruise control and only going 1-2 mph over. Worked out to 21.4 mpg over 3 tanks.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Holy crap, I bet you kick yourself for not coasting for a mile in an attempt to get the trip computer to give you the 600 mile range.

What else I notice is that you get the "Rear" 3 seatbelt warning that I get on my PR. I noticed that I didn't see this message on my P4X (maybe I didn't notice it, but I don't recall this message). I've gone through some of the settings to see if I could get it to work like on my P4X, but haven't found it yet.

321 - 340 of 416 Posts