Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy TitanTalk folks!

I started a thread back in late November inquiring about a Mile Marker winch-mount grille guard. Well, despite the overall good reviews I've seen, I decided against it. I wanted a little more "solid" front protection, and, honestly, it looked like kind of a pain to install.

So, I went with an ARB. I have always been a fan of their good looks and solid reputation. I ordered it Wednesday, and can't wait until it gets here! I'll try and put up pictures when I get it bolted up, but my computer is kind of moody sometimes...

So now, I have questions on winches. I was hoping for something in the 10,000 to 12,000 lbs range. Any advice? I here pretty mixed things about Warn and Mile Marker, but then I saw that Ramsey and Smittybilt make a "quality" unit, too.

If any of you have experience with winch brands, complaints, etc, I would love to here about it! I probably won't be getting a winch until the summer ($$$!!!), but it's never too early to start shopping around!

Thanks, guys!

Regards, Graham

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have a Smittybilt XRC10 and have had no problems with it. i haven't gotten to use it a whole lot, but i've read lots of reviews and most people say they're just as good as any others. most winches seem to have mixed reviews anyways... just pick one and hope it holds up!

good luck

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If I was buying a winch, I would get a receiver mount type and install a front receiver so I could put it in front or in back (or leave it home), as needed. If you happen to stuff the truck into a deep snow filled ditch with a fixed front mounted winch, the winch probably won't be of any use.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I've got a Warn M8000 on the front of the Jeep. I've used it MANY times on my off road adventures and it has never failed me. If you only plan on using a winch a few times, then I don't really see the need to spend a great amount of money. But, if you plan on using one consistently, then don't go cheap. Remember you get what you pay for. I've seen guys who bought the cheap winches to put on their Jeeps that didn't last two times before they broke down. That being said, my vote would go towards Warn, or Ramsey. When you do buy the winch, buy the synthetic line to replace the steel cable. Much lighter, it doesn't kink and it won't fray.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, guys. I have been doing a lot of searching around lately, and found a lot of great reviews on those Smittybilt XRC winches, considering they're pretty new.

I won't be winching often at all, and, in fact, have only been in need of a winch once in my off road adventures. But, since I wheel alone almost all the time, it's sort of comforting to know I have a way out if I get in a jam.

@bestatchess, I will be doing a receiver mount. I have been working with a guy at the 4WheelParts here, and he says putting a receiver in place of the winch, in the winch tray, should be pretty easy. I have a 2" receiver I bought at Big-R (around $40, made to bolt to a rear bumper, for things like bike racks, etc) that I will be modifying to peak out the front of the winch slot. I figure this way I can keep the winch out of the weather, out of robber's grasp, and save some weight off the front as well.

I have another question, too: This ARB bumper has "Hi-Lift jack points". What can I use those for? Is it safe to try and change a tire while lifting this truck from that far forward on the frame?

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the smittybuilt 10k winch and I have used it a couple of times to winch others out and it works great. I also have it mounted in the ARB bumper I will attach a couple of pics below so you can see the finished product.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the pics! Now I'm itching even more to get that bumper!

Are those "pocket style" flares on you truck? They look pretty neat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They are the pocket style flare......they look good with my setup and gets rid of the mud flaps.....next comes the 6" lift.

Reactions: T-Dog23

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, are you planning on keeping that 2" leveling kit with the 6" suspension lift? I have been wondering if the weight of this bumper will pull the front of my truck down, and have been considering getting a 1.5" leveling kit from PRG after I get the bumper mounted to stack on top of my suspension lift (I have a 4" Rancho kit). I know this means the front is lifted 4" and the rear 2", but, to be honest, my truck is still raked forward a little bit (I think the stock coils are getting a little tired).

Did you notice a significant forward drop with the bumper installed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Once I had the bumper installed I noticed just a little drop with my leveling kit. I would say less than a inch.....when I do my 6" lift I am going through Greg at PRG and he is going to have the front coilovers valved for the added weight so I don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: GJStringert

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I figured the front drop wouldn't be much. I have the adjustable Rancho shocks, so I'll see how those do. If I have to order the 1.5" spacer, that'll be alright with me (I'll be ordering the shackles from Greg sometime in the summer, anyway!)

Thanks for the input on the winches, guys. I think I'm going with a 10,000lbs Smittybilt XRC winch, and a removable 2" receiver set up. It might be a while until I can get pics up. I just talked to the manager at 4WheelParts yesterday, and he said it might be a few more weeks to get this bumper in, they were on backorder or something. I...Just...Have...To...Keep...Waiting...PATIENTLY!!!

Regards,

Graham

1 - 13 of 13 Posts