Nissan Titan Forum banner

Getting Rid of My Titan

5K views 62 replies 28 participants last post by  Hawaiianbasshead 
#1 · (Edited)
NOT Getting Rid of My Titan

On Friday I was heading home from home depot with 3/4 of a unit of 1x6x6's. Around 320 pieces to be exact. Pulling on to the main road I gunned it and heard the infamous "POP". Ahh yes, the ole' rear end trick once again. This rear end had a build date of 9/07 so it was a "new and inproved" one. I limped it home barely because the rear end was binding up so bad the truck went all the way to hot, then into protection mode. Once I got the truck home I looked under neath and I have transfer case fluid everywhere. The transfer case has a nice sized leak, the rear end spider gears went out. I had the truck towed down to the dealer and they said it will be about a week for the new transfer case and rear end to arrive. I have since decided to trade my beast in for an Armada since they have different rear ends, and the ride is more family practical. I had total hope for the new Dana models, but all faith has now been lost :(

#2 ·
Well Burly I gotta say gunning it with a load on is a really bad idea but the transfer case should not explode either. Sorry to hear of the problem. Are they going to cover it under the warranty??

#3 ·
Helinut1970 said:
Well Burly I gotta say gunning it with a load on is a really bad idea but the transfer case should not explode either. Sorry to hear of the problem. Are they going to cover it under the warranty??
Yeah, they said no worries and that the warranty would cover it. My basic 36,000 warranty is about up, so I figured I better do it now if I am gonna trade it in.

#5 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Wow, that sucks! Hope you have better luck with the Armada. BTW, the rear ends are only different in their casings. I've gunned mine from time to time with our TT and had no problems like you had. You sure it's the rear that popped?
Yeah. the tech openend it up and said teeth from the spider gears where busted off. I think the drive home with the rear end binding up caused the transfer case damage.

#6 ·
Burly said:
Yeah. the tech openend it up and said teeth from the spider gears where busted off. I think the drive home with the rear end binding up caused the transfer case damage.
Other than the casing though, do the rear ends differ internally? I'm told no but don't know for sure. I know the tow pkg equipped madas' have the same 3.36:1 as the Titans, but that's about all I know for sure. I'd be a bit bent as well if I'd gone through that more than once!

#7 ·
Burly said:
Yeah, they said no worries and that the warranty would cover it. My basic 36,000 warranty is about up, so I figured I better do it now if I am gonna trade it in.

Basic warranty for the drive train which includes the rear end, tranny, etc. is 60K. Sucks about your rear end though. If mine had gone out more than once I would be driving somthing different as well.

Good luck with your new vehicle.

#9 ·
How did they build a rear end in 9/07?

Did I read that correctly?

#10 ·
walleeme said:

Good observation! I read this thread as many others have and just read past the date and it didn't register.

Clint

#11 ·
Another thing is how did the transfer case let go from the rearend going? I'm guessing he engaged 4wd to get home? If that is the case he's lucky the dealer is covering the damage to the transfer case as the truck wasn't meant to be front wheel drive and dragging a broken rearend.

I too caught the axle date as well and noted the model year in the signature. Is this a second axle? I'd check the date again.

FWIW I replaced my diff fluid for the first time at 38,000 miles. The dealership did it and also flushed it. They analyzed the fluid drained and the flush and noted very little particulate. My Titan is an 05 4wd SE with Big Tow. I towed a 7500lb travel trailer around 3,000+ miles last summer.

#13 ·
walleeme said:

exactly what i was gonna say

but i heard the Titans with rear ends from the future were having problems
i say get one with tri-tanium shielded casing and bolts

but you must go to the year 2079 for that and that involves great ammounts of
dilithum
and everyone knows that the nearest M class planet to get that much of a supply is Triskellion

#14 ·
Smoke05 said:
Another thing is how did the transfer case let go from the rearend going? I'm guessing he engaged 4wd to get home? If that is the case he's lucky the dealer is covering the damage to the transfer case as the truck wasn't meant to be front wheel drive and dragging a broken rearend.

I too caught the axle date as well and noted the model year in the signature. Is this a second axle? I'd check the date again.

FWIW I replaced my diff fluid for the first time at 38,000 miles. The dealership did it and also flushed it. They analyzed the fluid drained and the flush and noted very little particulate. My Titan is an 05 4wd SE with Big Tow. I towed a 7500lb travel trailer around 3,000+ miles last summer.
If my rear let go and I needed to use 4WD to get home, you'd better believe Nissan would still cover it! You do what you have to do to get home. The rear end blowing out wasn't his fault. Getting his family home is all that matters.

#15 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
If my rear let go and I needed to use 4WD to get home, you'd better believe Nissan would still cover it! You do what you have to do to get home. The rear end blowing out wasn't his fault. Getting his family home is all that matters.
Getting to safety is one thing. Dragging a heavy payload and a bad rear end is another. His driving in 4wd and using it in the manner he did could be considered abuse. Pull over and call a wrecker or AAA. The cost of the tow would be covered by Nissan. Sorry, but wrecking the entire drivetrain because one part let go doesn't make sense.

#16 ·
Smoke05 said:
Getting to safety is one thing. Dragging a heavy payload and a bad rear end is another. His driving in 4wd and using it in the manner he did could be considered abuse. Pull over and call a wrecker or AAA. The cost of the tow would be covered by Nissan. Sorry, but wrecking the entire drivetrain because one part let go doesn't make sense.
i agree

a tow truck was the best thing in this case

#17 ·
That rear end is so new it isn't even finished yet. If it has a build date of 9/07 that means it's still on the shop floor someplace and not been sold yet. and you got less that 36,000 mi on an 05? Yer not driving it enough..... just smells fishy.........

#18 ·
my bad. the rear end was an 07 titan model with a build date of september of 06. i never used 4 wheel drive to get it home.

#20 ·
Boots said:
That rear end is so new it isn't even finished yet. If it has a build date of 9/07 that means it's still on the shop floor someplace and not been sold yet. and you got less that 36,000 mi on an 05? Yer not driving it enough..... just smells fishy.........

I have on 05' that I bought brand new and it only has 28,000 miles

#23 ·
Burly said:
my bad. the rear end was an 07 titan model with a build date of september of 06. i never used 4 wheel drive to get it home.
Then explain how the transfer case went out. You have kind of explained the issue with the rearend build date, but now we have the mystery transfer case failure. I don't mean to be a ball breaker, but things aren't adding up right here.

#24 ·
Boots said:
i had an 05 about a month or 2 ago that i bought new and i only put 21k on it... i have an 07 with about 1900 on it now.. and may be buying another in december :D

#25 ·
oh yeah, when you ditch the titan, swing that lift kit my way !!! thanks in advance ! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.