Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
GO GATORS!!

I dont think 52 days off has much to do with it....the Gators had never played offense like that all season long. Their defense however played like that every game. I'll bet troy smith just lost a few million in signing bonus after that performance though...I think Florida vs Boise State would have been a better game...but I'll take the dual national championship anyday....no one else can claim that one!!!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
CAPTMRGN said:
GO GATORS!!

I dont think 52 days off has much to do with it....the Gators had never played offense like that all season long. Their defense however played like that every game. I'll bet troy smith just lost a few million in signing bonus after that performance though...I think Florida vs Boise State would have been a better game...but I'll take the dual national championship anyday....no one else can claim that one!!!

trust me man, playing 12 games in a row and then taking nearly 2 months off DOES have a major affect on you timing and focus. Only being able to scrimmage your 2nd team defense during that time period will only result in you thinking your much better than you are, like OSU did.

But, Florida showed up to play, OSU didn't. I think we all agree that when Florida was squeaking by the South Carolinas and Vanderbilts and OSU was beating up everyone in Oct/ Nov UF wouldn't have stood a chance. But, they don't play the National Title in Nov., so congrats to UF

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
P's Titan said:
nope...

Boise State and USC would sure want a crack at Florida...
well, def. Boise State. But Wisconsin and Louisville are much more deserving then USC. USC had their chance, but they pissed it away losing to Oregon St. and then a not so good UCLA

·
Vendor
32,925 Posts
shawnwat4 said:
well, def. Boise State. But Wisconsin and Louisville are much more deserving then USC. USC had their chance, but they pissed it away losing to Oregon St. and then a not so good UCLA

couldnt think of the other Big Bowl winners. Thats why I want to see a playoff system. USC kicked themselves in the a ss for not prepairing very hard for UCLA.

I would love to see all the major bowl winners play until there is 1 winner.

·
Registered
407 Posts
shawnwat4 said:
Agreed, no two loss team deserves a crack at Florida.

Wisconsin and Louisville...still no, why, b/c Louisville back doored as the Big East Champion when Rutgers lost to WV. Wisconsin lost to Michigan, neither of those teams won the Big 10 conference. How do you fix this frame of mind, have a damn conference championship game!!

Boise, I love Potato magic, they torched the poor Sooners, and believe me as a Longhorn I loved every second, recap, and highlight from that game but lets not fool ourselves, they eeked (w/ admitted by them every trick in the book), a win over a weak OU team that lost to lowly Oregon and trounced by healthy Texas. That's a two loss team that isn't on the same plain as USC or LSU. They beat no world-beater and as fun as they are to watch, they are not considered to be even close to being one. Sorry I was more impressed with Meyer's Utah squad a few years back.

Sure...there's more and more argument towards a playoff system. Do you know what the next controversy is going to be? You guessed it, who gets to play in this 8 team, 4 team, plus one format. Someone will be left out. Before a playoff is even structured, the BCS conferences next to get some things fixed.

1.) Conference championship game (so be it that divisions need to be made). Wisconsin may have had a better chance at OSU for all we know. Pac-10 & Big East same thing, sure everyone plays each other, but three way ties are going to happen now and then and now we're back to BCS rankings to determine the conference champ (that's the tie-breaker).

2.) Get rid of or move the independents into a conference, this "special rule" crap for ND has got to go. The Big 10 has freakin' eleven teams, how in the world does that make sense. Add ND or Navy to make an even 12. It's not unheard of to shake up the conferences, teams flip flop from here and there and some completely restructure (see Big 8 and Southwest Conference).

I have more rantings but I will stop there for now, I have 235 days till the next Texas game and all I have left to look forward to is signing day and spring scrimmages that do nothing for me but make me wish we could've at least cloned Vince Young before the left.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Everyone is aware that LSU is more deserving of a title shot than Boise St. Undefeated so what. They beat Oklahoma. The Big 12 was not very good this year. Just so you Big Ten fans know the 1-2 record doesn't reflect that you put your higher ranked teams against lower ranked SEC teams Tennessee # 5 in the SEC against #4 Big 10 Penn State and # 3 Arkansas against #2 Big 10 Wisconsin. I assume ya'll watched the game and know the results of SEC #1 vs not so big 10 #1 Ohio St. SEC toughest teams toughest conference hands down!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Flip - you make good points. Every conference has to have a conference championship.

With the way things are right now, a computer decides who is worthy of competing in the National Championship. What happens when teams like Oklahoma get screwed like they did at Oregon (I'm a Texas fan - so on some level I enjoyed that)? They are punished by the BCS formula for losing a game that they actually won. There's too many problems in the current system to leave it the way it is. The playoff system is a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
LATitan1 said:
Everyone is aware that LSU is more deserving of a title shot than Boise St. Undefeated so what. They beat Oklahoma. The Big 12 was not very good this year. Just so you Big Ten fans know the 1-2 record doesn't reflect that you put your higher ranked teams against lower ranked SEC teams Tennessee # 5 in the SEC against #4 Big 10 Penn State and # 3 Arkansas against #2 Big 10 Wisconsin. I assume ya'll watched the game and know the results of SEC #1 vs not so big 10 #1 Ohio St. SEC toughest teams toughest conference hands down!!
No way does LSU deserve it. Auburn would be more deserving over LSU b/c they beat you head up. Hell, even Arkansas would have b/c (i know LSU beat them) they were SEC West Champs OVER LSU

Boise St. deserves it. It takes alot to go undefeated, no matter what conference you play in. And Boise St. spanked Oregon St, who beat USC........ahhh this is annoying, we need a playoff to avoid these conversations.

Note: Oklahoma wasn't that bad. They beat a solid Texas A&M, Oklahoma St, and Neb teams, and they lost on a very very controversial play to Oregon 34-33

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sac St W 45-0
Oregon St W 42-14
at Wyoming W 17-10
Hawaii W 41-34
at Utah W 36-3
La Tech W 55-14
at New Mexico St W 40-28
at Idaho W 42-26
Fresno St W 45-21
at San Jose St W 23-20
Utah St W 49-10
at Nevada W 38-7
#11 Oklahoma W 43-42

Boise St. had one quality win over top 25 team. They don't stand a chance against Florida or even Ohio State. Yes I do agree with all, the I-A fellas need to look at the I-AA boys and get that system. Oh yeah by the way in the end of the BCS it was the voters that decided between Florida and Michigan by moving Florida ahead in the polls.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
LATitan1 said:
Sac St W 45-0
Oregon St W 42-14
at Wyoming W 17-10
Hawaii W 41-34
at Utah W 36-3
La Tech W 55-14
at New Mexico St W 40-28
at Idaho W 42-26
Fresno St W 45-21
at San Jose St W 23-20
Utah St W 49-10
at Nevada W 38-7
#11 Oklahoma W 43-42

Boise St. had one quality win over top 25 team. They don't stand a chance against Florida or even Ohio State. Yes I do agree with all, the I-A fellas need to look at the I-AA boys and get that system. Oh yeah by the way in the end of the BCS it was the voters that decided between Florida and Michigan by moving Florida ahead in the polls.

2 wins vs. top 25 opponents. Oregon State finished ranked #21, and as you said, #11 Oklahoma. Hawaii (11-3 )just missed being ranked #25th, and San Jose St. finished 9-4 and just outside the top 25

·
Registered
407 Posts
shawnwat4 said:
2 wins vs. top 25 opponents. Oregon State finished ranked #21, and as you said, #11 Oklahoma. Hawaii (11-3 )just missed being ranked #25th, and San Jose St. finished 9-4 and just outside the top 25
Looking at your previous posts, I won't comment on common opponents or who beat who b/c there's always that word that will trump those arguments, "parity".

A playoff or plus one format will help alleviate issues but I addressed other concerns before even that in an earlier post. Finishing 1st in the WAC or MWC is like winning a race b/w Ford, Nissan, Toyota, & Dodge trucks. Hooray whoever wins ran a 15 sec. quarter mile. The winner shouldn't just pick up and line up next to the next heat w/ Vettes and Cobras, doesn't work that way...but every now and then there will be a Lightning or SRT-10 that will hang w/ big boys...those are your once every two year, BSU and Utahs. (Thought I'd throw in some vehicle analogy since we are in an automotive forum)

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Tx_flip said:
Looking at your previous posts, I won't comment on common opponents or who beat who b/c there's always that word that will trump those arguments, "parity".

A playoff or plus one format will help alleviate issues but I addressed other concerns before even that in an earlier post. Finishing 1st in the WAC or MWC is like winning a race b/w Ford, Nissan, Toyota, & Dodge trucks. Hooray whoever wins ran a 15 sec. quarter mile. The winner shouldn't just pick up and line up next to the next heat w/ Vettes and Cobras, doesn't work that way...but every now and then there will be a Lightning or SRT-10 that will hang w/ big boys...those are your once every two year, BSU and Utahs. (Thought I'd throw in some vehicle analogy since we are in an automotive forum)

Nice analogy. I just hope those fat cat College Presidents do whats right. I mean c'mon, DIII, DII, DI-AA all have playoffs, they gonna tell us DI can't?? NO way!

·
Registered
407 Posts
shawnwat4 said:
Nice analogy. I just hope those fat cat College Presidents do whats right. I mean c'mon, DIII, DII, DI-AA all have playoffs, they gonna tell us DI can't?? NO way!
I agree and b/c of the current BCS contract with Fox, I don't foresee even a +1 format until 2010. All we can do for now is hope for utter BCS chaos. The BCS system got lucky again this year w/ fortunate losses here and there to set up the championship game and the USC drubbing of Michigan that put to sleep any thoughts of a "OSU/UM" rematch. Shoot, turns out neither one of those teams decided to show up (or got exposed...your choice) in the BCS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am in total agreement with any system that will give the fans a more entertaining college football season. The current system leaves to much to debate and argue. You don't hear about any of us dabating any other division or even the pros. Major flaws at the I-A level and changes need to be made. The TV contracts seem to be holding the plus 1 system down, but the conference CEO's or whatever those fat guys are, they are meeting in March to discuss this current system so we might know something more then. I hope that Boise St. can make a great case it will help refine the system.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts