Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Friday fishing story:

Had Friday off for Good Friday, it's the only holiday of the year that I have off that my kids and wife don't, so for the last 3 years or so I've made it my first fishing trip of the season. Headed out early and was on the river by 7:30 or so. Nice cool, crisp morning, about 35 degrees, sunny with some wind. Had the river to myself and was really enjoying the morning. About an hour into fishing and BAM, a nice 15-16" rainbow hit my size 22 BWO nymph. Got him to me and just as I reached to net him he shook his head one last time and was able to free himself , I was actually happy as this prevented me from handling and stressing the fish any more than needed...

As I stood up, I noticed a shadow over the river. I looked up against the brilliant blue sky and a bald eagle was hovering above me. Pretty sure he was eyeballing my fish!! I stood and watched him for at least 5 minutes as he gracefully soared above me. It was a very cool experience. As if on cue, the eagle departed and a fighter jet crossed the sky above me, I wasn't sure if I should keep fishing or start singing the national anthem!!

I continued on fishing and the crowds started to show up. Just as another fisherman was entering the stream near me, I had a nice little 10" brookie hit my fly. It's always fun to catch a fish on a fly, and just a little funner when you have a witness! He asked what I was using, and following the unwritten rule of fly fishers, I told him exactly what I was using. He promptly returned to his car and changed his set up. I continued fishing the stretch of river I had staked out and he went upstream of me. I fished for a while longer, had a couple other strikes but didn't net any other fish.

Went back to the parking lot and met up with the other guy. Asked how he did, and he thanked me for the advice, as he too was able to coax a few fish out of a hole with the fly combo I told him about. Feels great when you can help a fellow fisherman out and more importantly, help him catch a few!!

Sorry for the long winded post and that I don't have any pictures.

Hope everyone is having a great day...

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
The bald eagle/fighter jet part made me laugh. Sounds like a good time.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks for the post. Great story. I need to go fishing.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Thanks for the post. Great story. I need to go fishing.

Where do you go around here? I went to Wood Canyon Lake and Christopher Creek a week ago and didn't have any luck. I've also been to the Gila River with no luck.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Where do you go around here? I went to Wood Canyon Lake and Christopher Creek a week ago and didn't have any luck. I've also been to the Gila River with no luck.
If I am fishing for trout I go to woods canyon or haigler creek. I have fished christopher creek but its to crowded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts