Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who run the tire (few from what I've gathered on the forum), how do you like them? Do you notice any roll in the tires taking corners? How is the tread wear on them?

I'm thinking about running these for my next set. Compared to my STTs (68 lbs/each), the DuraTracs (60 lbs/each) spark my interest. My local Discount Tire tried to rape me on the price of them ($329/each), but I just saw them for $249/each on Tirerack.com. If I do go with these tires, I'm definitely going to have them price match.

If there is anything else you can think of that you'd like to tell me about the tires, please let me know. Because.....KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! :lol:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Juday, I have the Duratracs and I love them. They are a little expensive even with a good deal but I think they are well worth the money. I air mine up at about 40 psi and there seems to be minimal roll. I came from the Revo 2 tires so I think the on road traction is a little worse than those but that is to be expected with that type of switch. I was not a huge fan of the Revos, they were realtively cheap and had decent ratings but I would not buy them again. They were decent when new but they wore quickly and I only got about 18K miles out of them. They had good wet traction, semi ok in the mud, and I did not think they were as good in the snow as most people said. I was able to get 75% of the money I paid for them back because of the warranty and I wanted to go with a 35" more agressive tire. I chose the Duratracs and could not be much more satisfied. Given that they are a fairly agressive tire, they are quiet. When I say quiet, I mean quiet compared to similar types of AT tires or MT tires. They are louder than a road tire but not too loud. I usually have the radio up anyway so I don't mind. With no music on, they are audible but not enough that you can't ignore it and forget about them. They look awesome and I have had several comments so far. I have about 8k miles on mine and there is hardly any wear. That comes from actual measurements taken during my last rotation. I have heard that some people have gotten 80k miles with proper rotation. They dominate the mud, I was extremely impressed, and great in the snow. I got mine from Discount Tire in Carmel for $297 each with the tire hazzard warranty. I did already have to have one patched because I had a nail in it. It would have been fine but the nail went in right between the blocks. They do have a slight amount of roll to them but not bad if you keep them aired up properly. I am not sure if this is just the difference between the 33" tire I had or the new 35" but I can notice a small amount. I am used to it now so it does not have any effect and I do not think about it. I love mine and if they keep up like they have, I will buy them again.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was hoping you'd chime in and give your opinion. I saw you a few weeks ago driving behind me into town on 38. I turned off on the street to Marsh and you kept going straight. I knew it had to be you because of the lift, tires and tractions bars that I could see! :lol:

BTW, how are those RadFlo coilovers holding up for you?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I too just bought some 315/70/17 tires, not the goodyear, but the yokohama's. I haven't driven on them yet, I currently have 325/60/18 Toyo open country A/T on MM 956. Here is a pic. of the two side by side. I do like that the 70 series has more meat, but looks different too me compared to my current set up. Also there definitley not as wide.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The DuraTrac is a REALLY good looking tire, and it's an AT that looks like it would do very well on snow and ice (plenty of siping). However, I wish they made some more 18" sizes, because they jump from a ~33" 295/65 to a ~35" 325/65. Kind of wish they made just a simple 35/12.5, since the 325/65 is just too wide AND tall for the smaller Titan lift/leveling most of us have.

And Titanequipped, those new tires of yours sure don't look like they're close to a 315. My BFG 305's look much closer -width wise- to the 325 you have on the right. They definitely look wider than the 315 you have posted. Not to sound silly, but are you sure those are 315's? Maybe it's just the angle and/or lighting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
not tryin to jack this but had a queston on the 18 duratracs.. so the 275/75's are 33 but so are the 295/65's?? just wider?... also anyone know the weight diff, if any between the 2

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The DuraTrac is a REALLY good looking tire, and it's an AT that looks like it would do very well on snow and ice (plenty of siping). However, I wish they made some more 18" sizes, because they jump from a ~33" 295/65 to a ~35" 325/65. Kind of wish they made just a simple 35/12.5, since the 325/65 is just too wide AND tall for the smaller Titan lift/leveling most of us have.

And Titanequipped, those new tires of yours sure don't look like they're close to a 315. My BFG 305's look much closer -width wise- to the 325 you have on the right. They definitely look wider than the 315 you have posted. Not to sound silly, but are you sure those are 315's? Maybe it's just the angle and/or lighting.
The Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S HighwayAll-Season tire in a LT315/70R17 D has a 12.3 section width on a 9" rim and a 9.5" tread width.

According to someone on a diesel forum, that measured his Toyo LT325/60R18, the tread was 11.5", (maybe Titanequipped can confirm). But some 315's would have wider tread and some 325's will have a narrower tread. For example the tread width of a DuraTrac in a LT325/65R18 E is 10.7".

I can't find the tread width of the LT315/70R17 DuraTrac but its section width is 12.5" on a 9" rim. The 16" LT315/75R16 also has a 12.5" section width on an 9" rim and a 10.2" tread width, so the LT315/70R17 is probably about the same, or slightly wider.

Section width varies as well, and changes depending on the measuring rim's width. If one tire is 12.5 on it's spec sheet on an 8.5" rim, and another tire is 12.9" wide on a 10" rim, the first one could actually be wider, because on the 10" rim it would be about 13.1" wide. But section width doesn't affect the tread width much, it's the middle of the side wall. But even though the sidewall gets pulled in on a narrower rim, at the same time it can stick out past the edge of the rim more, and have a more rounded instead of flat shape.

not tryin to jack this but had a queston on the 18 duratracs.. so the 275/75's are 33 but so are the 295/65's?? just wider?... also anyone know the weight diff, if any between the 2
The LT275/70R18 E are 33.2x11" on an 8" rim, have a 8.7" wide tread, and weigh 55 lbs.
The LT295/65R18 is 33.1x11.6" on an 8" rim, have a 9.5" wide tread, and weigh 58 lbs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Interesting data NorCal, and something I've never thought to look into. I would have never guessed that large of a variance in tread width on tires with the same section width.

FWIW my 305/65/18 BFG AT's measure 10 3/8" in actual tread width. I don't have a clue where that falls amongst 305's, since when I bought them I never thought to compare actual tread width.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Interesting data NorCal, and something I've never thought to look into. I would have never guessed that large of a variance in tread width on tires with the same section width.

FWIW my 305/65/18 BFG AT's measure 10 3/8" in actual tread width. I don't have a clue where that falls amongst 305's, since when I bought them I never thought to compare actual tread width.
Don't know of any other brands offering the LT305/65R18, and the LT305/60R18 could be different. For grins I measured my LT305/70R17 Terra Grapplers, and the contact tread is 9.5" and then there's another half an inch on each side of the "scallop" that transitions to the sidewall.

hmm, haven't had scallops in a long time ... :hungry:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

They are narrow aren't they..... Compared to the 325's right next to them. Remember The 325's are mounted to the aftermarket MM 956. And the 315's are mounted to the stock OR wheels.... I'll measure the wheel and the tire out for you later today. I'm on my way to the HB meet right now, so I'll have to post later.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have never had a set of Goodyears I could keep balanced. When I worked in the trucking industry they were a zero as well. Maybe things have changed but 'll never buy anything Goodyear.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have had bad luck with goodyears either. Until now, these tires are great. Best tires in the snow besides a full blown snow tire. Got about 10k on mine and minimal wear. I try to balance them every 3k with the oil change. Tires don't sway anymore. Few heat cycles and tires are good. Mild humm but not as bad as a mud tire.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Here are a pics. of the tires.

These are of the 325/60/18 bad angle on the camera, but I assure you they are 11 1/4" wide that contact the ground. They're actually 12 1/2" wide.

Here are the 315/70/17 9 1/4" wide.

Side pic. of the 315/70/17

And a close up

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The Yoko' 9.25" is pretty close to the spec sheet's 9.5" tread, and same 1/4" difference with the Toyo, based on the diesel forum guy's measurement of 11.5".

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The Yoko' 9.25" is pretty close to the spec sheet's 9.5" tread, and same 1/4" difference with the Toyo, based on the diesel forum guy's measurement of 11.5".
He said, she said, here say, according to PRG!:deathsent:deathsent:deathsent Please, people can look up there own info, the same place , it's all on the internet. Give it a break dude.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
He said, she said, here say, according to PRG!:deathsent:deathsent:deathsent Please, people can look up there own info, the same place , it's all on the internet. Give it a break dude.
I think your missing the point. What Norcal was trying to get across is that there are specs. on tires - yes. But they vary on rim sizes and real world application. I was taking a pic of my 315/70/17 that are different from the same size tire in another brand. My 325/60/18 are 2" wider. I myself like the sidewall of the 315/70/17, but like the width of the 325. I think I'm going to list my 17" OR wheels and tires with near new tread and get some 315/65/18 to get the tire a little taller and a little less narrow. People like pics. of different tires and what they look like on the actual vehicle. Also NorCal has been very helpful to many guys on the forum when it comes to aftermarket wheels and tires with applications and offsets.... Where all here to help each other like a real community..... :hi:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts