Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Goodyear dosent offer the s/a in a 265/70/18 but they do offer in a 275/65/18 and a 275/70/18. I would just purchase a set of the 275/70's but they are rated as class E, which are heavier tires made for towing alot. Since I dont tow all that often this seems pointless to me. So my question is who out there has these tires, and which sizes...how do they ride...and can you notice any immediate difference if you look at the 275/65, since it is a small diameter than stock? I would appreciate any inputs on these tires. I am very meticulous (anal) in my process of buying mods for my Titan so I just want to get all the facts before I go out and buy them. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put the 275/70/18 on my 04 crew 4x4 about a month ago. I also put the 2" prg leveling kit. The tires are very aggressive looking, quitier even than the stock sra, and super smooth. Wet and dry traction is great, the siping kicks a cloud of mist up like a semi on the interstate. They do feel heavy, but also much more stable. Im sure the acelleration has suffered on dry pavement some, not much but enough you can tell. I still smoked a dodge hemi from stoplight to stoplight last night. Have not been off-road, but read some positive things on here about mud traction, and snow in CO last year. I have not pulled anything yet, gas milege has not been affected. I will be putting a set on my wife's yukon xl next month. The only other tire I found with similar characteristics was the BFG ATKO. $55 more per tire x 4=easy discission. Oh yeah, these have a 50K warranty compared to BFG's 0 mi warranty.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
the G/Y silent armors are great tires and do everything sdbinkley has said. thru experience though i can tell you these tires will fall ridiculously shy of the 50k they say they can achieve just like every other goodyear tire. great tread design, features, etc. but the tread life blow on them just like cooper tires. wouldn't be surprised if cooper and goodyear were in the same bed together!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your stock tires are 4 ply and the E rated 275.70.18's are a 10ply, You are going to notice a difference.

Stock: 265.70.18 O.D. = 32.6"

Good and Bad on 10plys: The 10plys are heavier and stiffer. This stiffness is good and bad, you will feel bumps in the road more but you should also expect to get a quicker responce in turns. 10ply= better handeling under load. (275.70.18 O.D = 33.15") Tire will wear faster than 4ply.

Good and bad on 4 ply: Lighter and Softer than 10ply, you might notice a slight differece in ride quality compared to the stock tires but it would be ever so slight. This is due to the s/a having a higher tread wear (rubber compound is a little harder than SRA) You should get londer life out of the 4ply than the 10ply because it is not as stiff the tire can roll with the vehicle more for less friction. 275.65.18 O.D. = 32.07"

·
Registered
235 Posts
oh one more thing I noticed.

Goodyear says their tread rating on the 4ply is 520.
They don't give one on their 10ply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys I appreciate all the input. Everyone seems to like the Silent Armors so I think that I will go with them. I probably will go with the 265/70s just for the fact that I dont think that the E rated are for me. As much as like to tow my toys around, I spend more time on the interstates of SoCal than the trails. Thanks for the inputs again guys, and "TitanLou"..."War Eagle". You know you miss hearing that about as much as I miss hearing "Roll Tide".:cheers:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
wattssf said:
Hey guys I appreciate all the input. Everyone seems to like the Silent Armors so I think that I will go with them. I probably will go with the 265/70s just for the fact that I dont think that the E rated are for me. As much as like to tow my toys around, I spend more time on the interstates of SoCal than the trails. Thanks for the inputs again guys, and "TitanLou"..."War Eagle". You know you miss hearing that about as much as I miss hearing "Roll Tide".:cheers:
for the money the michelin's are better for your driving but hey, its your money. heed my warning though. treadlife on the goodyear silent armors is bad!

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
hooligan said:
the G/Y silent armors are great tires and do everything sdbinkley has said. thru experience though i can tell you these tires will fall ridiculously shy of the 50k they say they can achieve just like every other goodyear tire. great tread design, features, etc. but the tread life blow on them just like cooper tires. wouldn't be surprised if cooper and goodyear were in the same bed together!
Yes I have always put Good year silent armors on my truck. I had the on my Titan and I now have them on my chebbie. But it is true when hooligan says they will fall short of the 50k they are rated for. They wear very fast but the good news is my goodyear dealer warranties them and I have gotten a free set between buying 2 sets. Just make sure you rotate them every 5k to keep it all even. You will notice a smoother ride after putting them on. Just make sure you are getting the goodyear wrangler with silent armor and not just the goodyear wrangler. They are different at least that is what my dealer has informed me..

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Helinut1970 said:
They are different at least that is what my dealer has informed me..
yes, you guys probably already know, but the silent armors have a layer of kevlar in them.

...and oh yeah - VERY smooth ride and i believe the silent armors come pro-rated by Goodyear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts