Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Noticed Small Cracks On My Tires. Cracks Are Located On Side Of Tire Just Between The Treads. Approx 3/8 - 1/2" In Length. Is This Something To Be Concerned About. Do Not Want A Blow Out. I Carry Heavy Loads. And Pull Trailers Frequently. Tried A Search With No Luck.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
How many miles do you have on them? VERY few guys here have had any luck in how long they last, if you have 10k on them I'd be looking for a set of LT tires real soon.
If you do a fair amount of towing, I think you'll like the more solid feel a set of LT's gives while doing so...I ditched my factory "P" rated tires way before the wore out...

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
The SRA's like the "Rugged Trails" are not truck tires.

"Cracks" like that means heavy rolling on turns to me or dry rot on a tire. Since your tires are relatively new I assume, the rolling resistance on the stock tires especially when towing/hauling heavy could be an issue.:dunno:

A replacement for those may be the something that has a strong sidewall like the BFG AT/KO's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My supervisor had SR-As on his old dakota and had to replace them half way through a cross country trip after noticing "serious" cracking along the inner sidewalls. They became unsafe for highway use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Do Not Use Armorall Or Any Other Similar Products. Why Would This Effect The Tires. I Thought These Products Kept Rubber/plastic From Drying Out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
do you use armorall? dont
I have to disagree with you on this. In my 25+ years of detailing cars, motorcycles etc I've never experienced cracking issues.

Years ago there was a lot of controversy about Armor All causing dashboard cracks but I as far as I'm concerned it's unfounded.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
There is truth to that, any of the so called preservatives that have a petrolleum distillate in them will cause those issues of cracking in time. Petrolleum will cause the rubber or plastic to become hardened and brittle and susceptible to cracking. Suggest using something with a silicone base rather than a petrolleum distillate in it. Armor all did have a distillate in it a few years back, I don't know any more if it does since I haven't used that stuff in years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts