Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was waiting for the light to turn green when up comes along a black turbo charged Mitsubishi Eclipse with gauges protuding out the driver side window. I looked at the driver and noticed it was a young teen. The teen then started to rev up his motor. I turned off my VDC and decided to manually shift the Titan. The light turned green and I stomped it. I was a car length and a half ahead by second gear. The look in that teens was a Kodak moment. I could hear the car reving through the gears. I started to laugh and I accidently shifted to 4th. The Titan bogged and the Eclipse caught up and passed me. We slowed down at the next intersection. The teen glanced at me and I gave him a smile and said "got you worried there." The teen smiled back and turned off the intersection. Now I'm thinking...if I didn't miss shift, could I have won that race against a turbo charged eclipsse??? I should have just left it on drive.:upsidedow

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Should've kept it in D. Those turbos can be fast but more than likely it was driven by by a completely unexperienced kid and had an extra 400lbs worth of stereo equipment in the hatch.

·
Registered
365 Posts
there is a reason you have an auto tranny, nothing shifts faster than one....the only thing i have found with the auto/sticks is to use it to downshift....no matter how fast you can shift, the auto is faster..

·
Registered
418 Posts
ive always heard that a manual is a little faster than an automatic...but the driver must be extremely experienced. little hesitations between manual gear shifting will make it slower than an automatic.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
You probably would have killed him in the 1/8th and he would have walked you in the 1/4 once his turbo spooled up enough. That's just a guess based on the turbo cars I have raced.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Only way to be sure is to go and find him, and race him again! Then come back and tell us the results. :D

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
fishinfrenzi15 said:
ive always heard that a manual is a little faster than an automatic...but the driver must be extremely experienced. little hesitations between manual gear shifting will make it slower than an automatic.
That might be true for a "true" manual, stick shift transmission, but not our, IMHO, lame "manual" shift mode.

Automatics are better for bracket style racing though, they eliminate human error and provide for more consistent runs, which is what you're aiming for in bracket racing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
54warrior said:
That might be true for a "true" manual, stick shift transmission, but not our, IMHO, lame "manual" shift mode.

Automatics are better for bracket style racing though, they eliminate human error and provide for more consistent runs, which is what you're aiming for in bracket racing.

right. i thought that guy was sayin that an automatic is faster than any manual.

our manual mode does suck, i always end up shifting straight through 3rd and goin to 4th. so i always just keep it in D.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Papa_D said:
You probably would have killed him in the 1/8th and he would have walked you in the 1/4 once his turbo spooled up enough. That's just a guess based on the turbo cars I have raced.
Your right about that Papa D. I just love the look on their eyes when I pull away from them from a dead stop and they play catch up to a full size truck. Gotta get the headers and cams!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Papa_D said:
I can verify this... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts