Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my Titan for a week now. I think I been getting on my girlfriends nerves. All I been talking about is what I want to do to my truck, what parts I want and what brands. Well, I got home from class today and walked in the door to 4 boxes sitting on the dining room table, 4 Bilstein 5100's.

Boy did I feel that rush of excitement and that boyish feeling of christmas! LOL! I was definitely grateful. Now I know I have to do something sweet for her or I'll never hear the end of it. You know, it'll come up for sure how she got me this..blah blah blah! :)

I immediately grabbed some needle nose pliers and moved the snap rings to the middle setting. I have read that is the best setting for the fronts. I just ordered the Tuff Country 1.5'' level lift to go with these Bilsteins. It should deliver next week. So with any luck I can start the install of these shocks and the level kit next weekend. Would it be ok to install the rear shocks now?? Or would you recommend doing it all at once?? I'm trying to cut down on the install time cuz we do have 2 baby girls and I feel bad leaving her in the house watching them. What would you all do?? Plus, if any of you have any install tips that would be awesome??

I started spraying the nuts and bolts with PB blaster. I learned my lesson with that when I had my Jeep Wrangler and I was constantly wrenching on that and the bolts and stuff were a PITA.

Thanks for any input! :cheers:

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
Might as well do the back now, so that its out of the way. For the front, make sure you put the hardware on the correct order, otherwise you front end will squeak like crazy. This is the drawing I found on here, I think its correct lol...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is a good drawing! lol! But, what is the washer he purchased? Is that something I could reuse from the Ranchos that are on there now?

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
that is a good drawing! lol! But, what is the washer he purchased? Is that something I could reuse from the Ranchos that are on there now?
Ummm...idk sorry. Send rollinpresidential a message. I know he did this install too.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
congrats.. and be happy she got the right stuff! =) most girls wouldnt! and you are right.. i can promise you if you dont do something for her you really never will hear the end of it!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! :)

I have a question. I been reading on the forum here and I'm not sure what to do. Would you, a.) Install the Bilsteins (middle setting) and the Tuff Country 1.5'' kit I ordered to level the truck out? or b.) Scratch the Tuff Country kit and order 2008 4x4 front springs and install the Bilsteins??

Not sure if it would be waisting money to buy the 08 springs. If the Tuff Country kit is going to do the same thing as the 08 springs would then why upgrade to 08 springs?? All I'm looking to do right now is level this truck out. I hate the forward rake on it. In the future I want to get 35'' tires and the Rough Country 6'' lift.

Ultimately, what would you do???

Thanks!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just did this mod and found out how important correct assembly is. Not sure what year yours is but mine is an 04 4x4 and I replaced the shock hardware as posted by tanmann551. The bilsteins should come with there own washer which goes on first then reassemble with nissan parts. I have included pic and order of assembly compliments of tanman551. I originally went with middle perch, ride was a little harsh but liked the lift/level look. Went back to first setting and it rides much better. Now I just gotta get that lift/level look back using prg leveling kit. Hope this helps. You will love the bilsteins!

Last pic is what i think the order should be.
silver washer
rubber
hat
rubber
gold washer
nut

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just did this mod and found out how important correct assembly is. Not sure what year yours is but mine is an 04 4x4 and I replaced the shock hardware as posted by tanmann551. The bilsteins should come with there own washer which goes on first then reassemble with nissan parts. I have included pic and order of assembly compliments of tanman551. I originally went with middle perch, ride was a little harsh but liked the lift/level look. Went back to first setting and it rides much better. Now I just gotta get that lift/level look back using prg leveling kit. Hope this helps. You will love the bilsteins!

Last pic is what i think the order should be.
silver washer
rubber
hat
rubber
gold washer
nut
Very nice. Thank you! Mine is an 04 4x4 as well. This coming weekend i should have everything i need to get'r done! I also purchased a PML diff cover and the bracket kit. So since ill be wrench'n on the rig this weekend, hope those get delivered as well. I do need to purchase a few extra bottles of diff fluid since it is an extra cap diff cover. I've read it takes about 3 bottles. Perfect for cooling those gears. Anything to prevent a meltdown! Anyone know what is the recommended diff oil weight??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
75/140 for the rear.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Forgot to mention in my previous post that I also upgraded to 08 4x4 springs.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
75/140 for the rear.
Nice! So its takes synthetic. Does it need the "Limited Slip" additive since I have the rear diff lock?? thanks

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I also upgraded to 08 4x4 springs.
I was thinking about adding those springs. But, I heard from Norcal 4x4 and he brought up a good point for me. My 04 Titan only has 29,240 miles when I bought it. So, he rcommended to save the extra cash right now and upgrade later on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
do these shocks lift the truck a little bit or something?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do these shocks lift the truck a little bit or something?
Yes the front shocks are adjustable. There are 3 settings you move a snap ring to adjust ride height. Add these shocks with a level kit and they level the front with the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts